4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

very particular brake and gas pedal problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:26 AM

very particular brake and gas pedal problem

good morning org members plz read entire tHread to understand my problem plz. PLZ READ ENTIRE THREAD

i have a 96 gxe with 127,000 miles. since april of 08, my brake pedal and my gas both at the same time become difficult to press. my brake pedal does not travel down far enough as it used to. at the same time my gas pedal is hard to press as well. if im pressing on my gas pedal i need excessive force to push it and keep rpm up. if i press on it with a lil bit of force the rpm go to 4-6k and the car leaps. Also while this is happening the car idles rough, feels as if its a 4 cylinder engine. Also in this situation my gas mileage is crap, if i let go of the car at 45mph it will slow down rapidly like as if i were pressing the brakes. And than some days it will run without any of these problems. I took down the numbers of aStandard Depressed brake pedal which should equal-75mm my brake pedal height was 120mm, than a Standard Released brake pedal should equal-169-175mm my brake pedal height was-140mm. while this is going on when i try to activate my crusie control on the highway it doesnt activate until i press it like 4-5times which makes me believe its something to do with my brakes. Dealer wants 3 hrs at 95.00 an hour to diagnos i dont have this kind of money plz help me if u can Thank You and God Bless you all.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Maintenance Monster

The throttle is easy.

First, start the car and find where the throttle cable hooks onto the throttle body. If someone else presses the gas you'll see it easily. Now detach the cable and see if the throttle body moves smoothly. If not, you need to figure out why the throttle body butterfly isn't moving smoothly, and I'd start with some WD-40 on the spring and pivot until it loosens up. If that doesn't work take off the intake and clean the throttle body butterfly with carb cleaner (careful, the edges of the butterfly are very sharp).

If the problem was never in the throttle body, buy a new accelerator cable. I replaced mine and it was about 25$.

As for the brake question, it's a separate issue. If the brakes are functioning properly in getting you to stop, I'd not worry about it until you resolve the throttle issue. The cruise could be having trouble because the throttle isn't moving properly.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
The throttle is easy.

First, start the car and find where the throttle cable hooks onto the throttle body. If someone else presses the gas you'll see it easily. Now detach the cable and see if the throttle body moves smoothly. If not, you need to figure out why the throttle body butterfly isn't moving smoothly, and I'd start with some WD-40 on the spring and pivot until it loosens up. If that doesn't work take off the intake and clean the throttle body butterfly with carb cleaner (careful, the edges of the butterfly are very sharp).

If the problem was never in the throttle body, buy a new accelerator cable. I replaced mine and it was about 25$.

As for the brake question, it's a separate issue. If the brakes are functioning properly in getting you to stop, I'd not worry about it until you
resolve the throttle issue. The cruise could be having trouble because the throttle isn't moving properly.
i have already done wat u said abt the throttle but the throtlle isnt the problem 2 shops even checked out that throttle and said thats ok, my biggest concern is that both pedal act up when this problem arises y both and y together but thanks bro
Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 AM

well its easier and better to diagnose and repair one issue at a time.

lets start with the throttle. You said you tested it but it was ok. We need more specifics.

When you disconnected the cable from the throttle body did the peddle move freely like it should? it should be limp with no resistance but should be able to lift up and go down easy.

If it does then the cable itself or the throttle body could be the problem

if it still is stubborn get a bright light and look at the peddle around and under it for obstructions or any abnormalities.

The brake issue could be a number of issues
seizing calipers
dry calipers
system needs a bleed
low brake fluid
brake peddle needs adjusting

how old are the pads?
when last were they changed?
if you can remove the brake pads (front and both of them) examine them for un even wear, that will provide answers.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
well its easier and better to diagnose and repair one issue at a time.

lets start with the throttle. You said you tested it but it was ok. We need more specifics.

When you disconnected the cable from the throttle body did the peddle move freely like it should? it should be limp with no resistance but should be able to lift up and go down easy.

If it does then the cable itself or the throttle body could be the problem

if it still is stubborn get a bright light and look at the peddle around and under it for obstructions or any abnormalities.

The brake issue could be a number of issues
seizing calipers
dry calipers
system needs a bleed
low brake fluid
brake peddle needs adjusting

how old are the pads?
when last were they changed?
if you can remove the brake pads (front and both of them) examine them for un even wear, that will provide answers.

the pads were changed in may/08 and i di take a look at them just this week for uneven wear and everything looks just fine. can this be cuz of a bad brake booster maybe? but nothing explains y both pedals have resistance in them at the same time and than simutaneoulsy they both r fine as well. also i have checked for stubborness and cable for defects or prolems results came back clear. thanks for the help bro
Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 AM

to get better help please be more detailed with your responses.Re read my previous post and i think you'll see what i mean
Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM

one thing i noticed while i have the car in idle is that if i rev it up to lets say 2000 rpm it drops quickly but when its fine and i rev it it takes its normal time to come back to idle- does this help?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 AM

okie, after some more months of this problem i have noticed if i let the car sit and idle for abt an hour when im on break from school or work and i drive it after it has idled for aome time it drives normally but after 3 or 4 stop signs it does the same thing again, hard brake pedal and gas pedal. can this be related to a bad master cylinder? this seems to happen more when its cold, but when temp were hot during last summer i never had issuse from may to august. I really need help on this topic.