4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Near Stall at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Near Stall at WOT?

have any of you guys expierienced this? Today, i was coming out a parking lot from a shopping center... then i wanted to get in front of the oncoming traffic in my lane.. so i did a WOT.... but at the moment of doing it.. the pedal halfway to the floor, the car starts to sputter, and wanted to die out... and this happened for about 4 seconds.. then all of a sudden a miracle came about and my car was driving like a bat out of hell.... what gives? could this be the tranny? I know my CAI wan't loose or anything, because i know that is one thing that can do that... i checked all the clamps... everything was fine on the CAI.. nice and tight.. but then iono what else could have caused it..

Any inputs on this would be appreciated. thanks 4th GEN Guru's

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Any codes?

Could've been a misfire. Can you repeat it?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM

yea i guess more details would help....
Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM

didn't have any codes.. just checked 10 minutes ago..

checked the coil packs... everything seems good.. it didn't do it since it did that... maybe 8 hours ago..

but i do notice sometimes when i crank er up.... she starts at 150-200 RPM.. stutters then dies out.. i read a thread about that a week ago.. but that happens maybe about once or twice every week or every other week... meh... iono.. (o.o) cant be the battery i bought another new neverstart battery for it 7 days ago...
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM

low on gas? that could happen if you were low on gas and you punched the throttle....
Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 PM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
low on gas? that could happen if you were low on gas and you punched the throttle....
that is the only thing that comes to mind with me also. It scared me when it happened, but when gas prices were high it happened more than i would like to admit and if you were paying attention it would have felt like u were hitting the revlimiter at about 4k

-Jared
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96nismomaxi
that is the only thing that comes to mind with me also. It scared me when it happened, but when gas prices were high it happened more than i would like to admit and if you were paying attention it would have felt like u were hitting the revlimiter at about 4k

-Jared

my car has half a talk full of Shell V-power. V-Power ftw!! imy car doesn't seem to act like it has a rev limiter.. =P since i got it past 6500 RPM in park before.. all the engine did was jump around alot.. o_O but that was when i first had it.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
MaXXiN

If it's dying as soon as you turn her on you might just need to clean your throttle body, not hard at all, clean you maf as well. Also I believe your auto have you ever stomped on the pedal hard before? Might have been the tranny just down shifting =/
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by MaXiM@KiD
If it's dying as soon as you turn her on you might just need to clean your throttle body, not hard at all, clean you maf as well. Also I believe your auto have you ever stomped on the pedal hard before? Might have been the tranny just down shifting =/
yes i am an automatic... when i drove off... it acted like it was drowning under water... i just recently cleaned my TB and MAF like 2 weeks ago... also....... i noticed that when it dies on me at start up, i restarted the engine, and the same thing happened... and it took like 3 starts before it crunk up smoothly and normally/

I also took my spark plugs out......and noticed everyone of the, had some orange residue on them... is that bad on a spark plug? and the plugs are some cheapo autolite plugs and they have around 4k on them.. iono if that has anything to do with anything.. the reason i was running autolite was cuz i was on a budget... still am on a budget.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM

i kno its different car, but i had this exact same problem in a chevy blazer. the car would start up and i would b driving it for 10-15 seconds then step on the gas and it was act like it wanted to die for about 5 seconds and then it would run perfect... my problem was the MAF. i replaced it and everything was perfect.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM

maybe cleaning the maf doesn't just help it... i guess i'll look into another maf
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 PM

I was about to say check the MAF because the MAF is the one that triggers the car to shut off at the WOT launches and your not able to hit above 3-4k RPMs. The sputtering can be because your throttle body Is dirty and It can be because your using the Autolite spark plugs. The Autolite spark plugs are a no-no because our cars only use the NGK plugs. Any other plugs might cause some damage and or sputtering and poor gas mileage.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

my guess is the MAF.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 PM

could be low on gas, but more like a misfire..
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 AM

I had the same problem... it's most likely a bad MAF. The one I bought new was actually defective and had to take it back. On WOT if it feels like your car is choking than yeah... most likely your MAF. If it sounds like your engine blew on WOT but not really than its CPS.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM

most def a bad maf. had that problem but sometimes the car would be fine. other times it would keep cutting off. bought a used one from the jy with a liftime warranty. no worries. change the maf and your problems will be solved.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dkillahster

I also took my spark plugs out......and noticed everyone of the, had some orange residue on them... is that bad on a spark plug? and the plugs are some cheapo autolite plugs and they have around 4k on them.. iono if that has anything to do with anything.. the reason i was running autolite was cuz i was on a budget... still am on a budget.
I'd save up for the NGK's. I think I paid like 10 or 12 bucks apiece for them, but the car runs a lot better with them. A local Nissan shop (not a dealer) I go to said that every time a VQ that's in otherwise good shape fails emissions, they find that the owner stuck cheapo plugs in. Now it's the first thing they check!

If you're suspicious of the MAF, I'd start the car and pop the hood, then tap the MAF (GENTLY) with a screwdriver or something while revving the engine on the throttle body. If it hiccups, go find a MAF. Which leads me to this post...

QUOTE=19blackmax95;6793058]

most def a bad maf. had that problem but sometimes the car would be fine. other times it would keep cutting off. bought a used one from the jy with a liftime warranty. no worries. change the maf and your problems will be solved.[/QUOTE]

IS THIS JY IN THE SOUTHEAST? I don't even think Autozone puts a lifetime warranty on sensors. Seriously, which junkyard?? With all the junkyard stuff I have hanging off my baby, I'd love to get a good warranty!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dkillahster
have any of you guys expierienced this? Today, i was coming out a parking lot from a shopping center... then i wanted to get in front of the oncoming traffic in my lane.. so i did a WOT.... but at the moment of doing it.. the pedal halfway to the floor, the car starts to sputter, and wanted to die out... and this happened for about 4 seconds.. then all of a sudden a miracle came about and my car was driving like a bat out of hell.... what gives? could this be the tranny? I know my CAI wan't loose or anything, because i know that is one thing that can do that... i checked all the clamps... everything was fine on the CAI.. nice and tight.. but then iono what else could have caused it..

Any inputs on this would be appreciated. thanks 4th GEN Guru's

I dont understand why no one suggested to clean the IACV