4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can I tell If I have an defective axle..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM

How can I tell If I have an defective axle..

I just installed my axle about 3 months ago on both sides and I notice that I don't have the locking diff so I ordered the one I needed. I have the right one but they are NAPA axles. I am having some slight delay in my axle It feels as If it does not want to go but than you give It a little more gas than It goes. I am wondering If I can move my axles by hands (the axle ends that goes into the tranny housing) by a 1 mm counter clockwise and clockwise Is that a defect and the axles makes the clunking sound as soon as I let off of the accelerator.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 01-12-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:55 PM
No more Maximas...

Line breaks help a lot when it comes to reading posts, btw. Not to mention half of those sentences don't make any sense.

What do you mean a 'slight delay in your axle'? How do you know it's your axle specifically?

Auto, 5 speed, what?

What does this mean? 'the axles do move when I let off the when I am driving'

They're moving how, in/out? Side to side?

A millimeter is an extremely small amount of movement, that's probably just normal backlash between the splines of the axle and the diff.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Line breaks help a lot when it comes to reading posts, btw. Not to mention half of those sentences don't make any sense.

What do you mean a 'slight delay in your axle'? How do you know it's your axle specifically?

Auto, 5 speed, what?

What does this mean? 'the axles do move when I let off the when I am driving'

They're moving how, in/out? Side to side?

A millimeter is an extremely small amount of movement, that's probably just normal backlash between the splines of the axle and the diff.
Sorry,about the typo, I re-did the sentences, I can move the axle inside the housing not pulling on the axle like I am about to change the axle out.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
Sorry,about the typo, I re-did the sentences, I can move the axle inside the housing not pulling on the axle like I am about to change the axle out.
Your OP is still hard to read. Like I said, line breaks help a lot.

So you can turn it back and forth a millimeter? Like I said, if it's that little it sounds normal.

You still didn't answer any of my other questions.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM

It moves in and out side to side about 1 mm 2mm. I am an auto 98 max.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
No more Maximas...

It moves in and out side to side about 1 mm 2mm.
In and out means in and out, not side to side.

If it's side to side, it probably means diff bearings.

If it's in and out, there is some space between the circlip and the diff, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM

When your saying in and out as If I was to pull out and to put in a axle in the housing. When I meant to say side to side I meant If I was to move the axle as If I am drving the car in D or R. In circuliar spinning motion like a circle or a round tire.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
No more Maximas...

When your saying in and out as If I was to pull out and to put in a axle in the housing. When I meant to say side to side I meant If I was to move the axle as If I am drving the car in D or R. In circuliar spinning motion like a circle or a round tire.
Okay, but that's not side to side, that's spinning it.

So you say 'delay in your axle' why do you believe it's specifically the axle?

And why do you assume the axle is what makes the clunk when you let off the gas? Have you checked your motor mounts?

Can you clearly explain exactly what problem you're having?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Okay, but that's not side to side, that's spinning it.

So you say 'delay in your axle' why do you believe it's specifically the axle?

And why do you assume the axle is what makes the clunk when you let off the gas? Have you checked your motor mounts?

Can you clearly explain exactly what problem you're having?
If I was driving my car on a hill and the car Is stopped and If I let off the

brake and then the car will either stand still or It will roll back but If I give

the car some gas It will go with some slight hesitation and the driverside

feels like It is slipping and It's trying to grip on something.

If I am reversing into the driveway the car does the samething.

It feels like It Is going to struggle like It's slipping and you have to give it gas to get it moving once It's gripped on to something.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM
No more Maximas...

If I was driving my car on a hill and the car Is stopped and If I let off the

brake and then the car will either stand still or It will roll back but If I give

the car some gas It will go with some slight hesitation and the driverside

feels like It is slipping and It's trying to grip on something. If I am reversing into the driveway the car does the samething It feels like It Is going to struggle like It's slipping and you have to give it gas to get it moving once It's gripped on to something.
How did you pinpoint this 'slipping' to the drivers side?

The auto really shouldn't roll back on hills unless it's a pretty steep grade.

Are the RPMs climbing at first before the car finally 'catches' and starts moving forward?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM

How did you pinpoint this 'slipping' to the drivers side?

The auto really shouldn't roll back on hills unless it's a pretty steep grade.

Are the RPMs climbing at first before the car finally 'catches' and starts moving forward?
I pinpionted the slip on the driverside because If I can turn the wheel to the passenger side that means the driver side wheel Is engaged.

The RPM'S move into the 950-1000 then the car starts moving and I am moving at about 15-20MPH.

I am on a steep hill so If I am rolling back I am not really worried.

I have checked on my mounts and they will need to be changed. because the car Is moving when I am changing the gear selector.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 01-12-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
No more Maximas...

I pinpionted the slip on the driverside because If I can turn the wheel to the passenger side that means the driver side wheel Is engaged.

The RPM'S move into the 950-1000 thenthe car moves and I am moving at about 15-20MPH.

I am on a steep hill so If I am rolling back I am not really worried.

I have checked on my mounts and they will need to be changed. because the car Is moving when I am changing the gear selector.
Okay.

1. What do you mean 'that means the driver side wheel is engaged'? Turning the steering wheel changes nothing about power distribution.
2. If it's hesitating on takeoff then finally 'catches', seems to be a trans problem.
3. Very well.
4. The car should move when you move the gear selector into gear. Or do you mean something else? The car moving has nothing to do with the motor mounts being bad.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Okay.

1. What do you mean 'that means the driver side wheel is engaged'? Turning the steering wheel changes nothing about power distribution.
2. If it's hesitating on takeoff then finally 'catches', seems to be a trans problem.
3. Very well.
4. The car should move when you move the gear selector into gear. Or do you mean something else? The car moving has nothing to do with the motor mounts being bad.
I thought If you have the wheel turned on one side the opposite side will move.

How about when your stuck in the snow when your trying to get out of the snow you turn the wheel to the eitherside and you will see the opposite side move unless that's a myth.

When I am accelerating the car it will make a clunk noise and when I let off of the accelerator the car will clunk back and forth.

If the 1mm or 2mm movement doesn't matter then I will check out for the mounts.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
No more Maximas...

I thought If you have the wheel turned on one side the opposite side will move.

How about when your stuck in the snow when your trying to get out of the snow you turn the wheel to the eitherside and you will see the opposite side move unless that's a myth.

When I am accelerating the car it will make a clunk noise and when I let off of the accelerator the car will clunk back and forth.

If the 1mm or 2mm movement doesn't matter then I will check out for the mounts.
If it's clunking on accel and decel, it's most likely your motor mounts. It could be a bad axle, but if you already say your motor mounts are bad then I'd go for those first.

As I said, steering angle has nothing to do with power distribution by design. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, with getting out of the snow?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM

If it's clunking on accel and decel, it's most likely your motor mounts. It could be a bad axle, but if you already say your motor mounts are bad then I'd go for those first.

As I said, steering angle has nothing to do with power distribution by design. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, with getting out of the snow?
The point I was trying to make when I was talking about the snow, Is If you see a car trying to drive in the snow and there not moving but If they can move the steering wheel side to side then you will see the opposite side of the wheel move I have experence this myself and I seen It two.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM
No more Maximas...

The point I was trying to make when I was talking about the snow, Is If you see a car trying to drive in the snow and there not moving but If they can move the steering wheel side to side then you will see the opposite side of the wheel move I have experence this myself and I seen It two.
Never heard of it. Just sounds like a typical open diff situation, and steering the tire in different directions is enough motion on the snow for it to break free.

I've already said it twice, I won't say it a third time.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM

hey man i got the same s**t i dont know what it is but im thinking is the wheel bearing cuz when im cruising on the highway about 55 to 60 mph going straight it makes a sound as is something was crunching in side the rotor or something and when i slidely turn to the right the sound be come stronger but when i do it to the left it goes away so i think is that ????

Last edited by 96max3189; 01-12-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:47 PM

I found this very useful...

http://www.raxles.com/troubleshooting.aspx

Like stated might be the worn inner or outer joints if not bad mounts.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Good stuff.^^