4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd faint whine when cruising 5-20mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Wierd faint whine when cruising 5-20mph

Whenever im driving through parking lots i hear a faint whine reflecting off the other cars/wall and it sounds like a tiny mouse crying away.

I've never experienced this before, first i thought it was my tires, but it happens in all types of pavements so i doubt its that. I checked inside the engine bay and dont hear anything in idle, its only when moving slowly.

Anyone else?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
No more Maximas...

I'd jack the front end up and let it idle in gear, see if you get the noise then. If so, it'll be a lot easier to pinpoint.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM

maybe check your brakes, they could be low and scrapeing, or possible loose/rattleing heatshields or exhaust hangers. Have a friend hang out the window(while driving slow!) and listen to see if its coming from front, back, or middle, that should point you to the general area.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Lifted the front, tried reverse, tried Driver, no noise.

So it seems to be only under load.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Possibly power steering pump. Check the fluid for it. even if there is fluid in it still check it... here is a tip take a very long screw driver put it up to the pump housing and put your ear on the handle. The sounds will travel through the screw driver and you will be able to pinpoint it.. with the engine running of course. and make sure you dont get it in the way of moving pulleys and belts. that tip can be dangerous if your not careful. I am not responsible for whatever happens with that trick
Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by TimTim
Possibly power steering pump. Check the fluid for it. even if there is fluid in it still check it... here is a tip take a very long screw driver put it up to the pump housing and put your ear on the handle. The sounds will travel through the screw driver and you will be able to pinpoint it.. with the engine running of course. and make sure you dont get it in the way of moving pulleys and belts. that tip can be dangerous if your not careful. I am not responsible for whatever happens with that trick
ya man use a screw driver to listen to the noise, that would work well......if it made the noise at idle -1 for you for not reading the first post all the way threw.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by titanbk
maybe check your brakes, they could be low and scrapeing,
Exactly my thought. The "squealers" will drag on the rotor lightly and make an annoying noise just like the crying mouse description. In my experience I can only hear it when I drive past something that reflects the sound.

Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Exactly my thought. The "squealers" will drag on the rotor lightly and make an annoying noise just like the crying mouse description. In my experience I can only hear it when I drive past something that reflects the sound.

Dave
I'll have to agree with this based on OP's comment regarding the crying mouse description.

BUT if its a faint whine like you described in the title...I'd probably say maybe your water pump is starting to go. The first signs that my water pump was going out was the faint whine under load and small drops of coolant visible on my driveway. To me, it sounded like when your power steering lacks some fluid. But if it was the power steering you may only hear it when you turn the wheel. Just another thought should the brakes check out fine.

It would be easier to check your brakes and go from there.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 PM

5 mt?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman

Dave
Yea, just realized my right driver side Caliper is REALLY sticking. It takes alot of effort to turn the wheel compared to the passenger side. guess i need a new rebuild.

Originally Posted by 4GRookie
I'll have to agree with this based on OP's comment regarding the crying mouse description.

BUT if its a faint whine like you described in the title...I'd probably say maybe your water pump is starting to go. The first signs that my water pump was going out was the faint whine under load and small drops of coolant visible on my driveway. To me, it sounded like when your power steering lacks some fluid. But if it was the power steering you may only hear it when you turn the wheel. Just another thought should the brakes check out fine.

It would be easier to check your brakes and go from there.
Eh...seeing as i've changed my own water pump on my old 95, i doubt its this. Im familiar with the symptons. My coolant cycles good, reservoir is always filled. no complaints there.

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
5 mt?
auto
Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Ok, its definitely coming from the front. Usually only appears after a days drive and driving slow through the neighborhood to get home.

Here's a sound clip. Not the best because i recorded it right away with my mp3 player because it only starts squealing every once and a while.

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...=832417284.wav
Old 09-03-2009, 10:03 PM

make sure your sliding pins work freely
Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 PM

its not the brakes brah.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
Ok, its definitely coming from the front. Usually only appears after a days drive and driving slow through the neighborhood to get home.
I know exactly what that sound is, I chased it for 2 years. The key is that it starts after being on the highway a while, appears when your going slow then goes away if you speed up again. I think it was quiet all winter long, only to return when the weather got warm again.

It's the inner dust seal on the hub that's dried up. If you back the axle out of the hub a bit and spray some lube on the inner seal it goes away. I took my axle's out to rebuild the boots and discovered the dried up area. You can clearly see the highly polished, almost burnt glaze on the axle hub where the seal was making contact. Greased it up and the noise has never come back.
Seemed mine was only the drivers side that made the noise, but both side were very dry.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM

What kind of seal are we talking about here, rubber or metal? Its not something that needs replacing is it? My tires are solid and dont make a "marble" noise when spinning so i doubt its the wheel bearing. Hopefully your right and ill see it when i replace my pass. axle. Just replaced my driver 3 weeks ago and now my pass. side boot tore.

Here's a better video of my camera attached to my mud flap. Lens was covered in tape so you wont see anything, but you can hear it. Gets louder towards mid-end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoSuvv3VTE

Last edited by shadyonedeath; 09-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Yup, that's clearly the noise. The seal is on the hub, it's the inner dust seal that rides on the larger area of the axle. Just grease it up and that noise will go away.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Yup, that's clearly the noise. The seal is on the hub, it's the inner dust seal that rides on the larger area of the axle. Just grease it up and that noise will go away.
I've been trying to find out what that noise was for months. I've been to car shops and even the dealership and nobody can figure out exactly what it is. Thank you for figuring it out. That noise has been driving me crazy. What kind of lube did you use to get rid of the noise?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM

I just put some wheel bearing grease on it when I rebuilt my axles, noise has been gone for 3 years now.