4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My motor got loud recently.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 PM

My motor got loud recently.

Recently after my Front Right Heated O2 Sensor went (threw a code) the motor has been getting particularly loud. Not exhaust loud, but like a loud motor above 50km per hour. Would that code as well as a Closed Loop Control, EGR Solenoid, and Multi-Cylinder Misfire cause the loudness.

The weird thing is that the car isn`t misfiring.

i just replaced my oil pan, but that wouldn`t have anything to do with it.

Any ideas
Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What do you mean by loud motor?
Valve Tapping?
Rod Knocking?
Engine Ping?

Is the noise coming from the drive belt or accessories?

Transmission bearing noise?

You specify a speed not an RPM?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Valve Tapping?
Rod Knocking?
Engine Ping?

i'm not up on the different sounds that all of those make. But it is more of a really loud humm and slight vibration lets say above 2000 rpm and above 50km/hr. Not a Pinging sound, or tapping, or knock.

May be a tranny bearing...but it sounds very loud for a bearing if thats what it is. I just had my tranny replaced recently. Fluid seems to be fine. No hard shifting, nothng like that.

I've tightend the belt on the altinator recently cause it was loooose as $hit and was squeelig on startup. Now it doesn't squeel, but i don't think over tightening would cause something loud like that.

Anything else?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
i'm not up on the different sounds that all of those make. But it is more of a really loud humm and slight vibration lets say above 2000 rpm and above 50km/hr. Not a Pinging sound, or tapping, or knock.

May be a tranny bearing...but it sounds very loud for a bearing if thats what it is. I just had my tranny replaced recently. Fluid seems to be fine. No hard shifting, nothng like that.

I've tightend the belt on the altinator recently cause it was loooose as $hit and was squeelig on startup. Now it doesn't squeel, but i don't think over tightening would cause something loud like that.

Anything else?

check your belts?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Valve Tapping?
Rod Knocking?
Engine Ping?

ok...i know it's not a rod bearing cause i watched a few videos of rod bearing problems and that is not it.
Sounds almost like the whole motor is vibrating rapidly.
A loud hum and intermittent vibrations like every 1/2 second, almost constant but not quite. Not a wheel bearing noise, it's to instrusive. Not a ball joint wheel vibration cause it only happends when the car is over 2000 rpm and over 50km/h and i just had both ball joints replaced 2 months ago
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ZaxWhite97Max
check your belts?
seems to loud and intrusive to be the belt. That would either squeel again, or snap off..not vibrate the car and cause a humming thats very noticable.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM

I was getting a vibrating sound, it was most noticable at 2000 RPM. It was the flex section of the Y-Pipe. You may have the same problem.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
I was getting a vibrating sound, it was most noticable at 2000 RPM. It was the flex section of the Y-Pipe. You may have the same problem.
was it really loud..like a loud humming.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
i don't think it would be that tho...it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. More like a bearing. i noticed today on the way home, that going from say 120km/h down to 70 or 80 the sound gets really deep and the vibration gets slightly more noticable. Seems to be that would point to a bearing. Do ya think?

i have an audio file, but i can't upload it cause it's from my blackberry and its an .amr file. Quicktime plays it but i can't upload it to photobucket or anythnig...
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
i don't think it would be that tho...it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. More like a bearing. i noticed today on the way home, that going from say 120km/h down to 70 or 80 the sound gets really deep and the vibration gets slightly more noticable. Seems to be that would point to a bearing. Do ya think?

i have an audio file, but i can't upload it cause it's from my blackberry and its an .amr file. Quicktime plays it but i can't upload it to photobucket or anythnig...
Email me the file, I can convert and host it for you.

BTW, the damn flat rate boxes just got here a minute ago, the customs forms should be here tomorrow or monday so hopefully it shouldn't be any later than tuesday.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Email me the file, I can convert and host it for you.

BTW, the damn flat rate boxes just got here a minute ago, the customs forms should be here tomorrow or monday so hopefully it shouldn't be any later than tuesday.
ok...it's hard to hear the noise i'm talkin about cause i'm driving, but it miigt help...i'll email you the file now

EDIT:

email sent

Last edited by Bassbreaker; 02-06-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=Bassbreaker;6857336]i don't think it would be that tho...it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. More like a bearing. i noticed today on the way home, that going from say 120km/h down to 70 or 80 the sound gets really deep and the vibration gets slightly more noticable. Seems to be that would point to a bearing. Do ya think?
QUOTE]

You are probably right, just something to inspect and consider. Mine was droning vibratiion noise at 2000 RPM regardless of speed.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Yea, you can't hear pretty much anything -

http://boredmder.com/random/bassbreaker-sound.mp3
Old 02-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yea, you can't hear pretty much anything -

http://boredmder.com/random/bassbreaker-sound.mp3
turn it right up, and the sound of the car is that noise..it's really loud in the cabin
Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 PM

well my pop diagnosed it today. He went for a run with me and he said it was the passenger side wheel berring race. When i had a corolla and the wheel bearing went, it was a real grinding sound when i took a turn. The maxima just hums and it doesn't seem to grind when i take a turn. All cars are different i suppose. I'm picking up a bearing on monday or tuesday and i'll let you know if thats what it was.