4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shifter Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Bacon Lover

Shifter Bushing Install

Everyone makes this install out to be so easy, so I'm looking to anyone who's done it before to offer a little advice in the form of tips, which specific tools to use, etc. Last time I attempted I simply didn't have the room to get any leverage on the center bolt that connects the linkage to the bushing, so that's really my problem. I had the heat shield off, but the exhaust still in place. Is there a tricky way to do this with the exhaust still on?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Everyone makes this install out to be so easy, so I'm looking to anyone who's done it before to offer a little advice in the form of tips, which specific tools to use, etc. Last time I attempted I simply didn't have the room to get any leverage on the center bolt that connects the linkage to the bushing, so that's really my problem. I had the heat shield off, but the exhaust still in place. Is there a tricky way to do this with the exhaust still on?
Did you have the cat section removed?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Kevlo for President

Remove the Cat, remove heat shield, remove bolt...
Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Bacon Lover

If it comes down to it I will remove the cat, I was just hoping to avoid the purchase of gaskets. I know it's possible because several .org members have bragged about it Oh well, I guess I will get it one way or another.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Hmm..

I know what you are talking about...I had some troubles too.
I just used a longer socket wrench and some extensions WITHOUT removing the exhaust section blocking the bushing. Of course, I threaded the bolt by hand first, then used the long wrench to tighten it down. Seemed to work for me!

I wish I could remember how I did it exactly, but again, it can be done WITHOUT removing the exhaust!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM

yeah dont bother removing the cat. use an extension or two and a swivel is a lifesaver. you might need a wrench to hold the head of the nut too.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Bacon Lover

Yikes. Looks like I've got some work to do. To the garage
Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i need to replace my shifter stabilizer bushing i took it all apart but the bushing is attached on both ends with just a flat piece of metal no nuts nothreads as far as i can see and im stuck can anyone help me get this bushing off
Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by TOMSNISMO66
i need to replace my shifter stabilizer bushing i took it all apart but the bushing is attached on both ends with just a flat piece of metal no nuts nothreads as far as i can see and im stuck can anyone help me get this bushing off
There are two studs that come down on either side of the bushing bracket, with nuts on them. There's also the center bolt that goes through the bushing.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM

I tried without removing the cat, it makes it so much easier to just remove the damn thing.

IMO, depending on the condition of the gaskets, you can always re-use them. We've done it before when customers are to cheap *** to buy new gaskets, put some of that red high temp RTV on eitehr side of the gasket and tighten it down. Just make sure the mating surfaces are clean prior to installation.

About the shifter bushing install, it was so long ago, but there are two nuts that hold the shifter bushing to the chassis, but take off the center bolt that goes thru the bushing first. Its either a 12 or 14mm, use penetrating fluid on them, as they tend to get rusty lol.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Bacon Lover

Getting all 3 nuts/bolts seems like it would be easy enough, it's just a matter of having the proper room to torque that center bolt. There's simply no room to move a wrench of any kind with the cat in place, and the spring that attaches to one of the linkages (return spring? recentering spring? whatever you want to call it) that also makes it difficult because it severely limits how far I can have something sticking out from the bolt. I tried unhooking the spring but it's pretty tight and given the lack of space, it looks like you would have to unbolt the linkage it's on to get the spring off...

Regardless this is getting done. Maybe next week when I'm off break and have the money for gaskets?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Yeah its best just to remove the cat.

If its a big issue with rust, take it to a muffler shop slip them a 20 and get them to replace the two nuts and bolts holding the cat to the y-pipe/b-pipe. That way its simple to remove/put back in.

The shifter bushing makes the shifter feel much tighter and not like a piece of rubber. When i did my sts + poly bushing it was night and day!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Conecarver

how to remove 2 side bracket nuts?

My center bolt snapped easy enough but what's the trick to removing the side bolts holding the bracket? The nuts and bolts are rusted and spinning together. I got maybe 1/4" of vertical play so far but I can't seem to get a hold of the top part that sits on the plate to stop it from spinning.

Turns out those bolts are flanged at the top beneath the plate. I wound up Dremmel cutting them in half from underneath then sawed/chewed up the tops enough to get them to drop through the plate. New bushings in - feels a little firmer but not a huge improvement. I knew I waited 3 years to install for a reason.

Last edited by BEJAY1; 03-21-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
My center bolt snapped easy enough but what's the trick to removing the side bolts holding the bracket? The nuts and bolts are rusted and spinning together. I got maybe 1/4" of vertical play so far but I can't seem to get a hold of the top part that sits on the plate to stop it from spinning.
That's because they're not nuts and bolts, the studs are supposed to be welded to the shifter place.

Best you can do is tack the studs in place, or try to use vice grips. If that doesn't work, drill out the head of the stud and replace it with a nut and bolt.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Where can I get one of these shifter bushings everyone talks about? I've called the dealer and they're trying to sell me some rods as well. I'm assuming this bushing improves shifting?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Where can I get one of these shifter bushings everyone talks about? I've called the dealer and they're trying to sell me some rods as well. I'm assuming this bushing improves shifting?
Do you want stock or a poly filled bushing?

For stock:
34560-70N00, $18.52 at Courtesy

I got the shifter bushing and return spring from Dave B for ~$30 shipped or so.

For poly filled:
http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...-bushings.html

It'll only improve shifting if your current one is torn up. If it's stock, it probably is.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Do you want stock or a poly filled bushing?

For stock:
34560-70N00, $18.52 at Courtesy

I got the shifter bushing and return spring from Dave B for ~$30 shipped or so.

For poly filled:
http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...-bushings.html

It'll only improve shifting if your current one is torn up. If it's stock, it probably is.
Which would you recommend? My driving style is more spirited and involves lots of shifting if that helps you determine which suits my needs more. Also, If I have to regrease the poly every year then screw it lol
Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Which would you recommend? My driving style is more spirited and involves lots of shifting if that helps you determine which suits my needs more. Also, If I have to regrease the poly every year then screw it lol
All it really depends on is how long you want to wait and how much you want to pay.

That and the filled bushing will probably last longer, but it's all up to you.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Bacon Lover

I never got around to doing this. I still really want to try it out before the car is gone but I can't justify spending money on gaskets. Ugh.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Well, if they end up feeling the same as for shifting except longer durability from one then I can probably just pick that part up at my local dealer assuming the price is not twice of courtesy's. I just dont feel like having to send the core back lol
Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Bacon Lover

Well, if they end up feeling the same as for shifting except longer durability from one then I can probably just pick that part up at my local dealer assuming the price is not twice of courtesy's. I just dont feel like having to send the core back lol
You don't HAVE to send back a core, you just basically end up paying $10 extra.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Conecarver

I now have a free core - $5 shipping.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM

I drilled a hole in the top of the studs, pounded a old flat head screw driver in it, clamped the screw driver with vice grips, had friend hold it and went under the car, cranked on bolts till studs snapped. Then i put new bolts and a new mount. I did this with out removing the converter, but did remove the heat shield and i installed a short shifter at the same time.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Just got my shifter bushing and recentering spring from Courtesy (finally! waited 2 weeks for the damn things) I'm about to install these biznatches. My car doesnt have a cat, just a pipe and the studs seem to not be there rather just regular nuts and bolts so I hope this goes easy! I'd make a How to but the woman has the camera. I'll let pmohr tackle this How-to once again