4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How often do you change your brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
wxm

How often do you change your brake fluid?

I was told that my brake fluid has gone bad, and am thinking to replace it this weekend. Just curious how often you guys replace your brake fluid.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM

I've owned about 40 cars and trucks and I cannot remember ever changing the brake fluid on any of them.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM

brake fluid do not just go "bad" unless you contaminated it with non-brake fluid. Brake fluid can get old, and that's why its bad since brake fluid will absorb the moisture and eventually cause the brake lines to be corroded, calipers to be seize, not as good stopping power, maybe more. Some people say change the fluid when its black, change the fluid every 60k when you do a coolant flush. And i'm sure you can google this also.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Kevlo for President

I change it everytime I change the rear pads since they seem to last longer.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I change it everytime I change the rear pads since they seem to last longer.
That's a good idea. My rear brake pad is running thin, so I will probably keep it the similar schedule too. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 AM

I change mine every two years, and when changing brake pads. Check the service manual, I think it says every two or three years?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
I change mine every two years, and when changing brake pads. Check the service manual, I think it says every two or three years?

It makes a big difference, although it is not very bad to not change the fluid, if my rear pads don't go bad in 2-3 years, I would change the fluid anyways.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I've owned about 40 cars and trucks and I cannot remember ever changing the brake fluid on any of them.
Same here. But if you bleed your brakes regularly (as I do) whenever you do maintenance - like pads, calipers, etc - you are essentially replacing the old brake fluid over time with fresh fluid.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nafddur
Same here. But if you bleed your brakes regularly (as I do) whenever you do maintenance - like pads, calipers, etc - you are essentially replacing the old brake fluid over time with fresh fluid.
Basically, yep.

You really should change it every few years, but I bet a good 90% of the owners on the forum are still on the original brake fluid from the factory.

And brake fluid does 'go bad', it absorbs moisture over time, even if you don't open the system up. An easy way to tell is by the color, it should be damn near clear when it's new, it'll fade to golden then to dark over time.

But yes, every few years or a good 4 wheel bleed with every major brake work, and you should be fine.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 AM

I just changed mine since I just bought the car and it had 98k miles on it; I figured it was never changed. The stuff that came out was rust colored. DOT3 is usually clear. If you want your brake system to last, you'll change your fluid. Only took about an hour. I sucked out the old from the reservoir first.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

If you have ABS, changing out brake fluid might be a good idea every decade or so, as an ABS unit is VERY expensive and also very sensitive to moisture. <<I need to correct this, sensitive to copper deposits, not moisture.

If you don't have ABS, what do you gain by changing the fluid? Nothing I can think of unless there is a leak in your system allowing moisture to get in, in which case you have bigger problems than just a brake fluid change.

Not all darker brake fluids mean that they are "old", some are darker than others right out of the can.

There is actually a litmus-test type thing that you can use to test your brake fluid to make sure the corrosion inhibitors in the fluid are not worn out.

I guess if you are a preventative maintenance freak, no harm in changing your BF, but in my mind it is a waste of time and money unless you have a specific issue to resolve.

Last edited by trooplewis; 03-05-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM

If you have ABS, changing out brake fluid might be a good idea every decade or so, as an ABS unit is VERY expensive and also very sensitive to moisture.

If you don't have ABS, what do you gain by changing the fluid? Nothing I can think of unless there is a leak in your system allowing moisture to get in, in which case you have bigger problems than just a brake fluid change.

Not all darker brake fluids mean that they are "old", some are darker than others right out of the can.

There is actually a litmus-test type thing that you can use to test your brake fluid to make sure the corrosion inhibitors in the fluid are not worn out.

I guess if you are a preventative maintenance freak, no harm in changing your BF, but in my mind it is a waste of time and money unless you have a specific issue to resolve.
please do not give false information to other org members. If you are unsure, you can state your opinion and ask people to clarify. Do not write information that is false. You are just making yourself look bad.

Sorry, i might be a little harsh, but information on brakes is very important since it can cause major problems without having brakes. If it was towards another particular part of the car, i wouldn't be as concerned. Hope i didn't offend you.

Last edited by ImmaSquashYou; 03-05-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM

You didn't offend me at all. What part of my post was "false"? I see too many people at dealerships buy stuff they do not need out of fear, whether or not that fear is justified...

BTW, do a little research on the subject and you will find that an estimated HALF of all vehicle in operation more than 10 years have never had the brake fluid changed.

I can't recall reading or hearing about any accident that the blame was tied to bad brake fluid.

GM says its brake fluid never needs to be changed. They've only been the largest auto maker in the world for 30-something years (until this year) so I would assume if it was an issue they would not want the liability...

Ok, so I am not a credible source, and you are still worried about getting into an accident due to bad brake fluid.

Read this article on de-bunking the Great Brake Fluid Moisture Myth

http://www.brakestrip.us/about_us.asp

Again, be aware that recommendations to use that product ONLY apply if you have ABS. If you don't have ABS, well, it's your money. Do what you want with it.

Last edited by trooplewis; 03-05-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 PM

If you have ABS, changing out brake fluid might be a good idea every decade or so, as an ABS unit is VERY expensive and also very sensitive to moisture.

what he said
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Having abs or non abs really has nothing to do with changing the brake fluid or not. Even if your abs is not working, your regular brakes will work. I am not sure why you think that an abs system is more sensitive to moisture than a non-abs.

by changing out the brake fluid, you are pro-longing your brake system. Brake fluid over time will get dirty and absorb moisture from the surroundings. It does not mean you have a leak, it just means mositure got to it either through the caliper compressing and de-compressing, through where you add the brake fluid, through the proportioning valves, i am not sure, but moisture does get into the brake fluid.

I am confident to say that brake fluid are mostly the same color. Yes, some are clear, and some are slightly brownish, almost like a vegetable oil color. However, they are not dark brown, or black. Dark brake fluid means that it is dirty, and has been contaminated and needs to be changed since it has particles which were not originally there.

no comment on the litmus-test.

changing the brake fluid is very easy. It is even easier if you spend about $30 to buy the speed bleeders. You just have to get the guy to pump the brakes while you inspect what is coming out and refilling the brake fluid. Brake fluid costs no more than $10 for the entire system, its really not expensive.

however, if you are saying that you are going to go to the dealer and do this, of course, you don't NEED to go every year. you might go once every 5 years, or 10 years like you have said. But that's their own opinion of when they should go and justify if they can spend that money. What you're saying is true to your own opinion saying that you don't see why you should take it to the dealer every year, i agree with that, but if you are doing it yourself, the bleeders are right there when you take the wheel off and is not hard to do. hope that clarifies it a little bit.

but i agree with you on the dealer post. Yes, they do give you a scare tactic. Will your brakes fail instantly by not changing the brake fluid?? no, thats not the case. Its kind of saying, some people change their oil based on time, some base it on mileage, whiever is due first. But, i've always based it on mileage and not the time. Is that right?? maybe, maybe not. but its not going to REALLY hurt me if thats the case. However, i know if i don't change the oil within a certain mileage, the engine may not last as long if i had done regular maintenance.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
Having abs or non abs really has nothing to do with changing the brake fluid or not. Even if your abs is not working, your regular brakes will work. I am not sure why you think that an abs system is more sensitive to moisture than a non-abs.

It's not, moisture has nothing to do with it. It's about copper deposits, which ABS valves are sensitive to.

http://www.brakestrip.us/about_us.asp

From the above link...
It started long ago and innocently enough, the belief that if water happened to infiltrate a car's brake fluid, lowering its boiling point, the fluid would soon break down and impair the vehicle's ability to stop. Even though it had no merit, and no government or industry corroboration, the myth grew. Everyone eventually just assumed water was brake fluid's worst enemy. And an entire industry sprang up from it.

Last edited by trooplewis; 03-05-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:25 PM

From that post above, it seemed like you are saying that the abs unit is very sensitive to moisture and the non-abs is not. which i why i didn't understand what you were saying.

i see what you are saying, and from that page of information you have sent me, yes, it makes sense. I have no idea about the copper deposits, but i believe it to a certain extent. However, what you have posted before was that it was the moisture. I have learned something new that it is the copper that is causing the corrosion. However, i still stand behind that there is nothing gained by changing brake fluid is false. As the analogy of the engine, changing the brake fluid is a preventive maintenance to prolong the braking system as you would changing oil in an engine. I just wanted to attest that what you were saying was not all true.

I know that this is a mere of an opinion, and there are a lot of discrepancies. However, telling someone not to change the brake fluid for at least a decade because it won't really do you any good just isn't truthful in my book considering other contaminates and the brake fluid being a color that it was not orginally.

again, i'm not tryin to offend you and you have brought up some very good information.

Last edited by ImmaSquashYou; 03-05-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM

No offense taken. Old myths die hard...

In the US, trust me, if it was a cause of accidents, the govt would find some way to regulate it!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM

I change my brake fluid every 2yrs give or take a few mths, then again I have boiled the fluid causing major brake fade. The moisture that is absorbed in the brake fluid causes the boiling point to drop, hence "wet" and "dry" boiling points. I doubt most drivers will push hard enough on the street to boil the fluid and suffer brake fade, I have. Brakes are one of those things I feel good about going above and beyond the normal service intervals.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:30 PM

Brake fluid is one of those things, i think a lot of people dont actually change the fluid, but when you do bleed the brakes, you pretty much get about half the fluid out.

Brake fluid does absorb moisture, its obvious that it does, over time it does get dirty, and should be replaced. I personally have never seen an accident caused by old brake fluid. We flushed my friends maximas brake system, it was gross, there were chunks in his system, he has a 96 which probably had its original fluid in it still, he said his brakes felt much firmer after, but there was air in the lines though.

I track my car, and i do quite a few high speed runs, and working at a dealership i just use the powerflush machine and flush it with nissan dot4 fluid, then re-fill the system with some ATE Super blue.

On a side note, i was with my friend at the track he boiled his fluid that bad it started leaking out the master cylinder! 240sx Stock brakes + SR20 and like back to back 15 test laps will do!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 PM

No offense taken. Old myths die hard...

In the US, trust me, if it was a cause of accidents, the govt would find some way to regulate it!
funny you say that^^^^ . OF course our government would never cover something up...especially if they are getting large sums of money

true story:
Our truck driver had an accident about 6 months ago. ran into a car at a stop light going about 50 mph. everyones ok
cause- RUSTED BRAKE LINES!! guess what? it was a chevy pick up truck! a 2002 at that...didnt some one in an earlier post say that gm says you dont have to change your brake fluid? things that make you say hmmmmm.
I dont know if this is wide spread or not ,but I have a strang feeling that the "public" will not know if it is. I just happen to know some one first hand that it happened to.

I think most japanees car makers recomend a brake fluid flush at 2 year intervals.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
wxm

Brake Fluid Flash Steps:

Reporting back on the progress - I did the brake fluid flush today. Attached is a picture of the old contaminated fluid with a bottle of clear water (new brake fluid is also clear color like water), you can't see from the picture, there were also rusty deposits at the bottom. The fluid was 50k and more than 5 year old. It is definitely a good period maintenance at least in my case.

Thanks guys for the helps and suggestions, and a special thank for Dave B at South Point Nissan for the procedure.

Last edited by wxm; 03-08-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM

^damn man, was tar in ur lines?