4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Running Issues. PLease read and help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM

Running Issues. PLease read and help

I had ordered a new EGR Solenoid valve and it came today. I replaced it and reset the ECU. I was throwing the 10-5 code for it and 6-6 which is misfire cycl 3.

Driving home I smelled something odd. The CEL came on but I was on the hwy and only 5 mins from home. I figured I'd check it then. Well I hit an accident so I detoured off the hwy. The smell got worse from each red light I sat at. I started seeing smoke then pulled over. I poped the hood and looked down below the rear of the manifold from the passenger side. I seen a big red ball. I thought it was my cat. Since the car was not running redness from the heat started going away. A little note. When I smelled this smell the car had a real lack in power. I didn't realize it but at one point I was floored just going 35mph. The car was not going any where.

I quick checked the codes and I now have a 2-1, Ignition Signal circuit and a 5-3, front right heated 02. I crawled under the car and seen that it was not that cat that was red hot and smoking. or at least I think it wasn't? right after the noticable cat there is some sort of shield and inside there is where I seen the red hot ball of smoke. What is it?

For the past few weeks I been replacing one sensor after another. Now this. I spent a lot on numurous sensors, all new coils/plugs ( for tune up purposed) etc. What should I do. Should I try to fix this or not? I'm thinking b/c I only have 148k on it, it should last me well into 200K. ESPECIALLY b/c I NEVER beat on it. I shift at 3k some times a little higher. What part was under the shield that I seen right after that cat that was bright red??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 PM

ttt
Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Okay, first of all. DO NOT bump your thread after a damn half hour.

Have some patience, this is a forum, not a chat room. There will be replies, if you're patient.

There is only one converter, and two pre-cats. Which was it? The precats are in the Y, the converter is directly past that (bolted up to the flex section, basically). FWIW you can't see the converter from above the vehicle, especially not through the engine bay.

An extreme rich or lean condition could both cause the converter to overheat like that, also a severe exhaust restriction.

It's possible that one or more of your coils are failing/failed, and you were dumping a cylinder or more's worth of raw fuel into the exhaust every cycle. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Last edited by pmohr; 03-13-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Just the tip.

Seriously, a 30 minute bump? Have you actually gotten down there and looked to see whats in the area youre talking about?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM

upping your post count on the bump JNC after pmohr already addressed this is NOT needed. Look the reason I did what I did so fast was b/c there was a lot of thread traffic after my post which pushed it down the list. I read the noob stickies and what not when I come to a forum. So my 30 something fading brain does know and respect the rules. I'd just like that to be known.

The part inside the shield exhaust piece was just before the flex section (closest to the front of the car) I was not sure if that was a cat since I seen what looked like a cat past the flex section on it's way to the muffler

Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Jnco signed up 6 years ago and is a supporting member.. I don't think he cares about post count.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM

great info. thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Okay, first of all. DO NOT bump your thread after a damn half hour.

Have some patience, this is a forum, not a chat room. There will be replies, if you're patient.

There is only one converter, and two pre-cats. Which was it? The precats are in the Y, the converter is directly past that (bolted up to the flex section, basically). FWIW you can't see the converter from above the vehicle, especially not through the engine bay.

An extreme rich or lean condition could both cause the converter to overheat like that, also a severe exhaust restriction.

It's possible that one or more of your coils are failing/failed, and you were dumping a cylinder or more's worth of raw fuel into the exhaust every cycle. That's the first thing that comes to mind.
x2 first thing that came to my mind. You said you were throwing a misfire cylinder 3. Is that actually the case? Is the vehicle misfireing? You didnt mention anything about bucking. If the car is misfireing that will cause the cat to get really hot as well. Is your check engine light on....or flashing while driving?

And thats enough talk of getting rid of these cars, they will last you forever with a bit of maintainance and alittle love. Dont be afraid to ask questions and dive right in to fix it yourself!

Last edited by titanbk; 03-14-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:48 PM

I was throwing a Misfire code in cyl 3 ( 06 06 ). I replaced the EGR Solenoid valve a few days after I replaced the plugs and all new coils. The CEL was blinking for the week I drove it like that.

I thought about putting money into it since the motors last and last, but today I signed papers for a 2005 toyota SR5. There giving me 1800 for my maxima so I think I made out. Not so much that NOW I have another car payment ( in addition to the Wifes ) and the fast cars will get less attention, but at least I know for sure I won't have issues for awhile.

sorry about being impatiant before and thanks for the help. I am going to take all 6 new maxima coils (used like 40 miles) off and put the old ones on before I delivery the car to the Toyota dealer on Monday. There doing a tune up, new brakes, new tires and other things for me so that's why I did not get it tonight. Easy to bargain when friends work there. So yea if anyone needs new coils LMK. I got them at a good price (about $200) so I will pass that on to you all.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 95slowMaxima
I was throwing a Misfire code in cyl 3 ( 06 06 ). I replaced the EGR Solenoid valve a few days after I replaced the plugs and all new coils. The CEL was blinking for the week I drove it like that.

I thought about putting money into it since the motors last and last, but today I signed papers for a 2005 toyota SR5. There giving me 1800 for my maxima so I think I made out. Not so much that NOW I have another car payment ( in addition to the Wifes ) and the fast cars will get less attention, but at least I know for sure I won't have issues for awhile.

sorry about being impatiant before and thanks for the help. I am going to take all 6 new maxima coils (used like 40 miles) off and put the old ones on before I delivery the car to the Toyota dealer on Monday. There doing a tune up, new brakes, new tires and other things for me so that's why I did not get it tonight. Easy to bargain when friends work there. So yea if anyone needs new coils LMK. I got them at a good price (about $200) so I will pass that on to you all.

put it in the classifieds u will get more attention there, here in this post u will get lil to no interest for the coils
Old 03-14-2009, 04:16 PM

I deff will. I was just putting it out there.

thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 05:20 PM

I deff will. I was just putting it out there.

thanks
Are they OEM coils or aftermarket?
Madmax8
Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 PM

I listed them. Hmmm I don't know. I did not get them from the dealer or nissan courtesy parts. I got them off of an auto store. I guess after market?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post6929424
Old 03-14-2009, 05:47 PM

just so you know for next time, when your check engine light is flashing, its scream OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCH!!!!!!!! Driving a car while the check engine light is flashing will cause serious damage to your catalyst/engine. If the check engine light is on solid then you may have some time for diag but never drive if its flashing.