4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front 1156 led blinkers not working- rears work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Front 1156 led blinkers not working- rears work.

I've installed four, 1156 amber LED lightbulbs ( 2 front and 2 back) and the fronts don't blink.
Troubleshooting i've done: made sure all work by putting them in the rear lights, all work. With turn signals on and hazards.
Put the FACTORY 1156 bulbs back into the fronts and they light right up.
Put the LED's in, no signal lights. Yet the rears still blink with the LED's in.
Tried all four in the front with the 1156 LED's no lights.
Put all 4 FACTORY bulbs back in and they all work.
Back to square 1, front turn signal no lights work with LED's, rear turn signals working with the LED's
Kinda odd, the turn siganals blink twice as fast as normal. No bulbs out....any ideas?

Last edited by trand71; 04-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 PM

The really fast paced blinking means that there is no bulb or it is out, it happened to me when I burnt a bulb for my right turn signal.

The only think I can think of is the fuse, perhaps the LE bulbs used a higher wattage and its burning out the turn signal fuse? But if the fuse is out then the lights would have not worked when you put back the factory bulbs........... haha sorry its all I have so far
Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 PM

If he is putting the stock bulbs back in then the fuse is not blown. A led takes less wattage then a incandescent...youre getting the 12v to the plug (hence why the stock bulbs work)..so its the led most likely, if you can test continuity on the led then you can determine for sure. Or just hook it up to a 12vdc power supply....LOL or put the leds in the other way (they only light up a certain way) The fast blinking, is because youll need to add a resistor to the circuit.

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 04-09-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
If he is putting the stock bulbs back in then the fuse is not blown. A led takes less wattage then a incandescent...youre getting the 12v to the plug (hence why the stock bulbs work)..so its the led most likely, if you can test continuity on the led then you can determine for sure. Or just hook it up to a 12vdc power supply....LOL or put the leds in the other way (they only light up a certain way) The fast blinking, is because youll need to add a resistor to the circuit.
I've tried all 4 bulbs either way (either way being backwards and forwards) in the fronts, none of the sons of biches work, when i take them to the rear turn signals they work like a ***** on Friday night after payday.
1156 bulbs you can put them in any way you want and they light up, unlike 1157's, they only work a certain way when installed, when put in wrong they will not even fit in correctly.

Last edited by trand71; 04-09-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
The really fast paced blinking means that there is no bulb or it is out, it happened to me when I burnt a bulb for my right turn signal.

The only think I can think of is the fuse, perhaps the LE bulbs used a higher wattage and its burning out the turn signal fuse? But if the fuse is out then the lights would have not worked when you put back the factory bulbs........... haha sorry its all I have so far
LED's pull less current than standard bulbs...
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Check your connections on the plug, crimp them tighter, maybe the leds are not making full contact with the plug as they may be slightly different in size from the stock bulb.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
Check your connections on the plug, crimp them tighter, maybe the leds are not making full contact with the plug as they may be slightly different in size from the stock bulb.
i pulled the socket connector(the brass thingy in the socket) further out so they would make better contact with the new bulbs, still no nothing. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Help from anybody?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 PM

You will need 4 load resistors to combat your fast blink and it seems odd they dont work in the front.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM

It's possible that the ground point for the two signal lights is in question. The old incandescant bulbs, since they draw more current, can probably do OK with a marginal ground but the LEDs cannot. Try running a wire right to the battery from the point where the signal lights are grounded and see if that helps.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trand71
I've installed four, 1156 amber LED lightbulbs ( 2 front and 2 back) and the fronts don't blink.
Troubleshooting i've done: made sure all work by putting them in the rear lights, all work. With turn signals on and hazards.
Put the FACTORY 1156 bulbs back into the fronts and they light right up.
Put the LED's in, no signal lights. Yet the rears still blink with the LED's in.
Tried all four in the front with the 1156 LED's no lights.
Put all 4 FACTORY bulbs back in and they all work.
Back to square 1, front turn signal no lights work with LED's, rear turn signals working with the LED's
Kinda odd, the turn siganals blink twice as fast as normal. No bulbs out....any ideas?
if you SEARCHED before you got your bulbs you would've known what problems you'll run into...i made the same mistake

like kzoosho said you'll need expensive load resistors (www.v-leds.com) to get rid of the fast blinking problem on all 4 ends.
i couldn't make my fronts work either and gave up but it should be fixable with an in line fuse on the positive wire to the bulb - dunno what size but remember reading something about 460k ohm.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback, now i know......i can deal with the fast blinking but the fronts i put OEM orange bulbs back in.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

http://v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix...-p4783296.html here's the fix - a lot more than regular resistors.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM

Have you tried putting the factory bulbs in the rear and LED's in the front to see if they work. They should. The problem is that LED's don't draw enough current so the car thinks the bulbs are burnt out. That is why they blink fast. Like mentioned in other replies you will most likely have to get an electronic flasher http://v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix...hers/sc132273/ or load resistor kit to make them work right.

Last edited by jtmaxima; 04-14-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM

hm...interesting.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm gonna do a LED bumper light project (actual LEDs, not LED bulbs) Would I need a load resistor as well? Or would it depend on the amount of LEDs I have in the light?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM

LEDs always require resistors to regulate the current they draw otherwise they would react like a flashbulb. The bulb assemblies probably include the proper load resistor inside them. The problem with the 1156 LED bulbs not working in the turn signal position was the fact that it is an electronic circuit and as such expects to see certain loads just to trigger. The bumper lights I think you're talking about are just running lights and as such just get a straight flow of current from the harness so all you need is the standard load resistor which are usually around 1K but that will depend on how much current you need. You can either have one resistor supplying current to all LEDs or you can have a seperate one for each. Bulb assemblies such as the one this thread speaks of have the proper resistor(s) incorporated into them. As with most bulbs, if you keep the power flowing through them small they will last a long time but will not be as bright so the solution tends to be running many bulbs at reduced power to achieve longevity. Sorry about the long-winded reply.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

^ idk why but with load resistors the led bulbs don't work in the front (they do in the rear though). i think that the easiest thing to do is put 2 rows of led strips into each front blinker - should look cool and they're already pre-wired to run on 12 volts.

some bulbs i've seen had a resistor inside the housing but i guess not all of them come like that - i bought the cheapest and maybe that was a mistake.