4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PCV grommit in the crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:34 PM

PCV grommit in the crankcase

So am I screwed? I pulled out the PCV, put it back in, and accidentally pushed the fitting into the case, and I can't get it out....
Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yes and no. Your gonna have to pull the upper Intake Manifold to get the rear valve cover off, so you can get the grommet back out, so you created yourself a couple hours of work, or several if your slow. But it's not the end of the world.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 PM
The Golden One

What he said.

Not terribly bad...but you'll need to take a bunch of stuff off. Learning experience . Look at it that way. Take your time and you'll be alright.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Well, ****.

Suppose I could change some other stuff in the mean time... I better get started then, I have to work Monday.

Feel free to list things to do while I'm doing this! I appreciate the help.

PS So if I were to run it, where would that grommet go?

-t
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Knock sensor+ harness, and rear valve cover gasket (duh, nevermind that's a given).
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by AustinTylerDean
Well, ****.

Suppose I could change some other stuff in the mean time... I better get started then, I have to work Monday.

Feel free to list things to do while I'm doing this! I appreciate the help.

PS So if I were to run it, where would that grommet go?

-t
No where, it may bounce around a little, and there is the 'potential' that it could get tore up by a camshaft, but it will not go anywhere.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
The Golden One

I'd clean your IACV, TB, EGR while you're in the area. Also your knock sensor if you have a lot of miles and haven't changed it.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
No where, it may bounce around a little, and there is the 'potential' that it could get tore up by a camshaft, but it will not go anywhere.
So, what if I didn't take apart my UIM, valve cover...

What if I didn't fetch this thing? I think I will anyway, considering I have never taken the plenum off...
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by AustinTylerDean
So, what if I didn't take apart my UIM, valve cover...

What if I didn't fetch this thing? I think I will anyway, considering I have never taken the plenum off...
Then you would have no place to put the PCV valve

It's right above an oil baffle in the valve cover, so it really won't go anywhere. IIRC, I just tore the baffle off of one at the junkyard to make it easier to get at it.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

You NEED a pcv valve. Positive crankcase ventilation. It's not going to run 100% with it just setting there like you have it now.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
You NEED a pcv valve. Positive crankcase ventilation. It's not going to run 100% with it just setting there like you have it now.
I meant, if I were to just leave the PCV grommet in that baffle and put a new grommet there, if I would be ok....

BUT, I got the sucker! Got the upper valve cover off, turned it upside down and shook the bastard until I could get it with some pliers!

Since I've done the EGR, TB, IACV, etc, cleaning already, I decided to test the coil packs. Based on the FSM, I need to get a new coil pack.

I'll post some pictures of this, but I also looked at the air intake valves, and in the one that has the bad coil pack, there's a much larger buildup of soot in that tube than any of the other tubes.. Maybe you guys would know why..

Nonetheless, here's to donating to the org!

I'll post again when I've got it all buttoned up.

I can't thank y'all enough

-t
Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 AM

I HAVE DONE JUST 4 DAYS AGO, i did the same thing as you, created 2-3 hours off labor just by changing the pcv, i tried using a wire hanger but it didnt work to well, and in the end i had to go through all the trouble one would have to go through trying to change the rear valve cover gasket, but only difference is that your not changing the gasket though.Good luck
Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Actually I did change all the gaskets I touched. Something about a Golden Rule...

I DID break a valve cover screw though.. that sucked, I misread the repair manual and set my torque wrench to 24 ft lbs, when it was 24 in lbs that I needed.

If I were to do it right I should have tapped the broken piece and put another on, but I said screw it (it's the first screw of the tightening series) and I have no leaks as of yet. If it does start to leak, I'm back to the project.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
The Golden One

Good job man.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM

I know this thread is old. BUT instead of starting a new one I figured to just continue this one since the title description exactly described my situation.

SO last night I decided to change out my pcv valve and grommet. And being the original owner(193k), I know this was never done before. So it was about time! Lol.. While taking off the hose and pcv valve/grommet. I noticed both the hose and grommet were very dried and cracked. The valve came out easy enough with a STRONG pull using a needle nose plier. But the grommet was a PITA. Since it was sooo old and dried everytime I pulled it with my plier a piece kept breaking off. I then proceeded to use a screwdriver to try and seperate if from the engine bc it was stuck. On one of my swipes the grommet can loose and FELL into the engine. I was flipping stressing bc I was about to spend either a lot time or money to get that out. On a cheap and easy job. Plus its my daily driver. The grommet however was still visible when it fell through because there is, I guess, a ledge where it fell onto. Maybe two inches down.

To make a long story short. I was, LUCKILY, able to fish it out using a coat hanger. With a needle nose plier I formed a very small hook at the very tip of the wire. Since the grommet fell right side up I was able to stick the coat hanger through the grommet. But at this point it was still a close call getting it out bc the grommet is larger and the opening and I was concerned if I pulled it too hard it would rip and my chances of getting it out would be over. But luckily it helped it was wet with oil and it came out just before it completely ripped. Man was I lucky!

Putting everything back was cake. I used a piece of regular standard fuel injection hose and and the job was done. Don't know if it was a placebo effect but the car does seem to run better.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by felorojas14
I know this thread is old. BUT instead of starting a new one I figured to just continue this one since the title description exactly described my situation.

SO last night I decided to change out my pcv valve and grommet. And being the original owner(193k), I know this was never done before. So it was about time! Lol.. While taking off the hose and pcv valve/grommet. I noticed both the hose and grommet were very dried and cracked. The valve came out easy enough with a STRONG pull using a needle nose plier. But the grommet was a PITA. Since it was sooo old and dried everytime I pulled it with my plier a piece kept breaking off. I then proceeded to use a screwdriver to try and seperate if from the engine bc it was stuck. On one of my swipes the grommet can loose and FELL into the engine. I was flipping stressing bc I was about to spend either a lot time or money to get that out. On a cheap and easy job. Plus its my daily driver. The grommet however was still visible when it fell through because there is, I guess, a ledge where it fell onto. Maybe two inches down.

To make a long story short. I was, LUCKILY, able to fish it out using a coat hanger. With a needle nose plier I formed a very small hook at the very tip of the wire. Since the grommet fell right side up I was able to stick the coat hanger through the grommet. But at this point it was still a close call getting it out bc the grommet is larger and the opening and I was concerned if I pulled it too hard it would rip and my chances of getting it out would be over. But luckily it helped it was wet with oil and it came out just before it completely ripped. Man was I lucky!

Putting everything back was cake. I used a piece of regular standard fuel injection hose and and the job was done. Don't know if it was a placebo effect but the car does seem to run better.
Well good deal! Im surprised you could even see it good enough to grab it. Your car could very well run better. When the engine is cruising and vacuum is high, airflow through the PCV valve is at a maximum to allow the blowby vapors from the crankcase to escape. If your PCV was stuck and therefore this couldn't happen, you could run lean which is bad.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Well good deal! Im surprised you could even see it good enough to grab it. Your car could very well run better. When the engine is cruising and vacuum is high, airflow through the PCV valve is at a maximum to allow the blowby vapors from the crankcase to escape. If your PCV was stuck and therefore this couldn't happen, you could run lean which is bad.
Yea I got extremely lucky. It fell and stayed there. Didn't bounce around. Ill see the affect after riding it alittle more. I've only had a chance to take a short trip since the replacement.

Do you think the pcv can affect idle? Cause I've been having an annoying idle issue. Even after cleaning the maf, tb, egr, and iacv. My next step now when I get to it is to test the iacv for proper function.