4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine cranks but wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Engine cranks but wont start.

I've had my 1998 sitting in the garage for the past year or so. I try to start it and let it run once every couple months and everything has always been fine up until today. The battery was dead so no biggy, I tried jumping it and it cranked slowly but wouldnt start....
I bought a new battery and it cranks fine now but still wont start no matter how long it goes.

When i put the key in and turn i on I hear a small hiss/buzz sound (but it was coming from the engine area) which lasts for a second or two and I'm assuming that's the fuel system pressurizing so I dont think it's the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump (just a guess of course).

I got a 0304 code which is for the knock sensor but I've never heard about this causing the car not to start like this. Also the car has no been driven at all so how would something like this 'break' by sitting in a garage?

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated as I'm completely stumped at this point.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Does it sputter or attempt to fire up at all, or is just cranking without any kind of change in sound?

You do have gas in the tank, correct?

Have you checked to see if you're getting spark? Fuel?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Does it sputter or attempt to fire up at all, or is just cranking without any kind of change in sound?

You do have gas in the tank, correct?

Have you checked to see if you're getting spark? Fuel?
you should be renamed the wizard...
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Sorry. I wasn't very clear with my initial post.

I have fuel (1/4 tank). When it cranks it's pretty fast and doesn't seem like it's getting any closer to turning over. Just the same sound over and over.

I'm not very mechanically inclined...at least when it come's to engine problems. How would check if I'm getting fuel and spark? I think I read somewhere that you can buy a little tester at Autozone for a few bucks which will light up if a plug is sparking.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Tapio
Sorry. I wasn't very clear with my initial post.

I have fuel (1/4 tank). When it cranks it's pretty fast and doesn't seem like it's getting any closer to turning over. Just the same sound over and over.

I'm not very mechanically inclined...at least when it come's to engine problems. How would check if I'm getting fuel and spark? I think I read somewhere that you can buy a little tester at Autozone for a few bucks which will light up if a plug is sparking.
Pull a coil, put a plug in it and ground it (place it on the block, or anything else metal), then crank the car. If you see the plug sparking, you're good there.

For fuel, first I'd check to see if you're getting it to the front of the car; pull the upper filter hose off, see if fuel is present.

Are you sure there's fuel in there, or are you just going by the gauge? It's always possible the gauge or sender arm are stuck.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM

I guess it could be stuck, never thought of that. I'll pour a gallon in and see if it makes a difference. Also I was doing a little reading and someone mentioned that they had their battery of their maxima too long and their immobilizer went down. Is that something that may have happened here? The battery may have been dead for months for all I know. The car has sat for a long time.

In the mean time I'll also check if theres spark and for fuel like you mentioned.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
No more Maximas...

I guess it could be stuck, never thought of that. I'll pour a gallon in and see if it makes a difference. Also I was doing a little reading and someone mentioned that they had their battery of their maxima too long and their immobilizer went down. Is that something that may have happened here? The battery may have been dead for months for all I know. The car has sat for a long time.

In the mean time I'll also check if theres spark and for fuel like you mentioned.
Nope, the '98 doesn't have an immobilizer, only '99+.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Little update. I added another gallon of fuel just incase the guage was stuck and that wasn't the problem. I also pulled a spark plug and tested it against something metal and it sparked (expected something much larger...but I think thats because TV commercials probably overexaggerate how much it sparks). I'm a little afraid to mess with the fuel line to see if gas is making it to the engine because I don't know which line it is and where I can open it up. Would anyone have a diagram or picture so I don't go into this blindly? Also, do I have to relieve pressure in the system first?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
No more Maximas...

Little update. I added another gallon of fuel just incase the guage was stuck and that wasn't the problem. I also pulled a spark plug and tested it against something metal and it sparked (expected something much larger...but I think thats because TV commercials probably overexaggerate how much it sparks). I'm a little afraid to mess with the fuel line to see if gas is making it to the engine because I don't know which line it is and where I can open it up. Would anyone have a diagram or picture so I don't go into this blindly? Also, do I have to relieve pressure in the system first?
Thanks
Do you see the fuel filter against the firewall? Just undo the top hose. If you've got fuel flow, then that's a good sign.

If you attempt to relieve fuel pressure first, you're kinda defeating the point of the check, to see if you have fuel pressure...

Have you checked codes again, to see if anything else has come up?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Im not sure if the maximas have one or not, Ive never even looked to see if it did, but there should be a shrader valve on the fuel rail (if it even has one) turn the key on and crank it a few times and press in the valve and if fuel squirts out you have fuel pressure. Like I said it may not have one, ive never looked.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by TimTim
Im not sure if the maximas have one or not, Ive never even looked to see if it did, but there should be a shrader valve on the fuel rail (if it even has one) turn the key on and crank it a few times and press in the valve and if fuel squirts out you have fuel pressure. Like I said it may not have one, ive never looked.
Nope, not on the VQ.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Ok, ill give that a try. I see the fuel filter but it's gonna take me a bit to figure out how to get the hose clamp loosened...super tight area and the screwhead is pointing in a bad direction.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Nope, not on the VQ.
pmohr whats your take on this?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...lp-please.html
Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Blackwind
Way ahead of you.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Way ahead of you.
thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Oh man. Tried and tried and I cannot get that fuel line off from the top of the filter. I tried unplugging it on the other end but that line is stuck as well.

Would it be easier to just pull off the backseat and somehow test the fuel pump from there?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 PM
No more Maximas...

Oh man. Tried and tried and I cannot get that fuel line off from the top of the filter. I tried unplugging it on the other end but that line is stuck as well.

Would it be easier to just pull off the backseat and somehow test the fuel pump from there?
You could, but if you hear the pump going, it's probably fine back there. I'd start at the engine and work my way back, looking for fuel. You could also try either of the fuel lines at the rails.

Checked for codes again yet?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

If fuel supply is good, you will smell gas out the exhaust after a few attempts to turn the engine over.

I can't remember if a bad camshaft position sensor will allow a spark or not but you could check that and or the crankshaft position sensor.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM

It is a good possibilty that the gas in the tank lost it's potency (went bad). If that is the case you either need to drain the gas out or you can also let the fuel pump do it if you know what you're doing. Another option is to dilute what's in the tank with new gas until it's willing to ignite. The spark plugs may already be soaked with the bad fuel and would probably benefit from either replacement or simply spraying with a carb cleaner.
Something I learned just recently may also help, it seems that fuel injected engines have the old-fashioned airring-out position for the gas pedal i.e. you put your foot to the floor and turn it over which apparently tells the computer that you think it maybe flooded and don't send anymore fuel. Normaly, on fuel injected engines, we are taught not to touch the gas pedal at all so this technique has become counter-intuitive.
Also, if the fuel is bad and not igniting, you should get some pretty funky smells from the tailpipe after cranking it for awhile.
If this goes on for too long I would suspect the catalytic converter would be in danger of becoming contaminated.
In the "old days" (pre 80) gasoline seemed to have a much longer shelf life than it does today.
When you do get it started, do it a favor and take it on the road, get it some new gas (perhaps with the addition of fuel stabilizer) and take it out on the highway and open it up a bit. A little fuel system cleaner couldn't hurt either and don't forget to check the air in the tires before you go. Good luck!

Last edited by jdooley; 04-13-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 PM

twist the fuel filter
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Bingo. Didnt realize I could twist it around almost all the way. I got the hose clamp off but once again I've hit a roadblock..i can't get the tube off. I'm almost at the point where I may cut the tube about an inch up and then just slip the new end over the top of the filter when im done.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Bingo. Didnt realize I could twist it around almost all the way. I got the hose clamp off but once again I've hit a roadblock..i can't get the tube off. I'm almost at the point where I may cut the tube about an inch up and then just slip the new end over the top of the filter when im done.
you can and you'll be ok. but try to pry it with a flathead first.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM

Hoses don't like to be pulled off because the braiding inside causes a reduction in the ID so pushing off is always recommended when possible. Long-nose pliers work well for this task.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 AM

Check the CPS sensors, both of them. They will cause cranking with no start.