4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatics racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 04:51 PM
Lightly modded

Automatics racing

Unfortunately, I own an automatic Maxima, and I've been wonder what some tips are for getting the best 1/4 I can get. Any tips?
Old 11-22-2001, 04:53 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Automatics racing

Originally posted by 95maxrider
Unfortunately, I own an automatic Maxima, and I've been wonder what some tips are for getting the best 1/4 I can get. Any tips?

More info needed...

how much are you willing to spend????

are you looking for just tips on a better launch etc?

btw, try the "Search" link in the upper right hand corner, you'll find a million answers to your question
Old 11-22-2001, 04:58 PM
Lightly modded

Yeah, I'm trying to get launch tips.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When light turns green, take right foot off brake and place on gas pedal. Step down on gas pedal. Keep stepping on gas pedal.

Yeah, I'm trying to get launch tips.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:59 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by clee130
When light turns green, take right foot off brake and place on gas pedal. Step down on gas pedal. Keep stepping on gas pedal.

Old 11-22-2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by clee130

Old 11-22-2001, 07:34 PM

I'll scan it later... but this is what I did! First of all, I shift, 1, to 2, to overdrive. that means when u put it in D, keep overdrive off. right before u start goin, for about 30 seconds, run the heat on full blast to the inside of the cabin. that gets the heat out of the engine. you want the engine as cold as possible, so way before the race, keep engine off, and open your hood. When you are at the lights, and ready to go, with your left foot press down on the breaks as hard as u can, and with your right foot gradually press the gas to about 3,000 rpms, or till your car barely stays in place, when its green, or 3rd yellow, whenever u go... doesnt really matter... let go of the break, and gradually press the gas to the floor. You dont want to floor it right away, or you'll get too much spin. shift to 2nd when you are at 6,000 still flooring it. same to drive.
good luck

...i copy/pasted this post from duplex in the 1/4 times sticky at the top of the 4th gen forum. I drive a 5 speed, although i thought this might be helpful to you in your quest for a better time.

ryan
Old 11-22-2001, 08:15 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by MAXIPADMAN
I'll scan it later... but this is what I did! First of all, I shift, 1, to 2, to overdrive. that means when u put it in D, keep overdrive off. right before u start goin, for about 30 seconds, run the heat on full blast to the inside of the cabin. that gets the heat out of the engine. you want the engine as cold as possible, so way before the race, keep engine off, and open your hood. When you are at the lights, and ready to go, with your left foot press down on the breaks as hard as u can, and with your right foot gradually press the gas to about 3,000 rpms, or till your car barely stays in place, when its green, or 3rd yellow, whenever u go... doesnt really matter... let go of the break, and gradually press the gas to the floor. You dont want to floor it right away, or you'll get too much spin. shift to 2nd when you are at 6,000 still flooring it. same to drive.
good luck

...i copy/pasted this post from duplex in the 1/4 times sticky at the top of the 4th gen forum. I drive a 5 speed, although i thought this might be helpful to you in your quest for a better time.

Thanks a lot man, thats more along the lines of the answer I was looking for.
ryan
Old 11-22-2001, 08:51 PM

shifting won't help.

light turns green. put ur foot on the gas.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by buss95max
shifting won't help.

light turns green. put ur foot on the gas.
You are right. Off the line first or 2nd doesn't give anymore power. Now, when you drive a lil when it's in 1 or 2nd and it gets high in the revvs, then you have some SERIOUS power! BUT, it wastes a TON of gas, and is HARD on your engine! And if you try manually shifting, dont take your foot off the gas! When you shift from 1--->2--->D your not really shifting. All your doing is telling the computer when to shift. And yes, it still has the stupid automagic delay.

So unless you get a tranny swap, let the tranny do itz thang.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:01 PM

if its street racing, an automatic can easily beat/hang with a 5spd...
Old 11-22-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by buss95max
if its street racing, an automatic can easily beat/hang with a 5spd...
Yea...I wouldn't race in traffic tho. It's dangerous.
Old 11-23-2001, 08:28 AM

Although torque braking might help a little also.

If anything, it'll give you a slightly better reaction time.

Along with the "Look mommy, I'm pretending to have a 5 speed!" look.

Originally posted by Craig Mack
You are right. Off the line first or 2nd doesn't give anymore power. Now, when you drive a lil when it's in 1 or 2nd and it gets high in the revvs, then you have some SERIOUS power! BUT, it wastes a TON of gas, and is HARD on your engine! And if you try manually shifting, dont take your foot off the gas! When you shift from 1--->2--->D your not really shifting. All your doing is telling the computer when to shift. And yes, it still has the stupid automagic delay.

So unless you get a tranny swap, let the tranny do itz thang.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:07 AM
Lightly modded

Do you guys know if a tranny chip will mess up my car more than it helps? What about a regular power chip?
Old 11-23-2001, 09:12 AM

There's Don's VB mod: http://www.mobiletek.net/vb.html and http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=870

And then there's also the Gforce ECU: http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

Do you guys know if a tranny chip will mess up my car more than it helps? What about a regular power chip?
Old 11-23-2001, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by MAXIPADMAN
good luck

ryan

uhh, leaveing your car off before a race(shifting at high rpms) or racing when engine/oil temp has not warmed up to operating temp does damage to your cars engine. Cool air is better yes, but not cool engine.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:09 AM
MaximaRversion2

use left foot to hold the brake , use right foot to push gas , rev to 1500-1700 rpm , when light is green let go of brake , slam on gas , if wheels spin , let them , theyll stop spinning really quick , if you have good tires.

Old 11-23-2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan

uhh, leaveing your car off before a race(shifting at high rpms) or racing when engine/oil temp has not warmed up to operating temp does damage to your cars engine. Cool air is better yes, but not cool engine.
YEA, but my flux capacitor might overheat due to the extremely violent gamma rays because of the engine coolant leak!

just kidding... Yes your engine has to warm up so that the oil can coat your engine internal parts with a film. If its not the right temperature the film will break and you will have metal to metal contact. This is why synthetic oils are better, but still cant protect agains driving your car hard after a cold start.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:45 PM

ECU's aka 'Superchips' have been known to give certain cars like 35hp. But I havent seen the facts on that. I don't think it does even 1/3rd of that to the Maxima.

Stupid VQ. Why did Nissan have to make it so damn great.