4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any suggestions for more 'howto' tutorials? Post them here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:34 PM
No more Maximas...

Both KS vids are up, front brake pads/rotors replacement vid is up, will probably do a rear pads/rotors vid later today.

Keep the suggestions coming, still have maybe a dozen things on the list I'll do sooner or later.

As always, if you want to see parts replaced and properly done (plugs gapped, pads changed and lubed, VQ35 swap, etc) donate to cover the cost of the parts and I will
Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 AM

Your Rear VC should be there today or tommorrow.

I donated for a mod that i dont need a vid for

Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 AM

I'm looking to add an electric trunk release since my car didn't come from with one from the factory, i searched for a how to or even a place to start but didn't find anything. I think this would be good for the stickies
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM

hey pmohr, how about the "how to" and taking off the trunk torsion bars and putting shocks in its place

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...sion-bars.html
Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks Pmohr, I personally found the replacing brakes video to be the most useful, a written guide is nice, but a video of someone actually doing it is priceless, thanks!

And its funny how you work, compared to me I am a total wuss about breaking parts and misplacing tools and all that. Like in the video where you removed the gauge cluster trim, you took it out in like 5 minutes, but it took me nearly an hour because I was afraid I'll break it and so I pushed it back and forth, back and forth trying to find the perfect angle to pull it out as to not bend it so much.

OH! and a video I could really use is a how to remove the wheel inner hub and outer hub and fix that sqeaking noise when the wheel spins.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kevinoseguera99
hey pmohr, how about the "how to" and taking off the trunk torsion bars and putting shocks in its place

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...sion-bars.html
Maybe, I would just need some shocks (basically, money). Some day.

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Thanks Pmohr, I personally found the replacing brakes video to be the most useful, a written guide is nice, but a video of someone actually doing it is priceless, thanks!

And its funny how you work, compared to me I am a total wuss about breaking parts and misplacing tools and all that. Like in the video where you removed the gauge cluster trim, you took it out in like 5 minutes, but it took me nearly an hour because I was afraid I'll break it and so I pushed it back and forth, back and forth trying to find the perfect angle to pull it out as to not bend it so much.

OH! and a video I could really use is a how to remove the wheel inner hub and outer hub and fix that sqeaking noise when the wheel spins.
Yea, I really don't mind breaking things.

****ty thing though is I just did a rear brakes replacement vid today, ended up snapping off both torque member bolts while removing it to show removal of the rotor. So now I've got to get some money and go pick one of those up at the yard (assuming they aren't seized up like mine were), or get one (and the bolts) from the classifieds.

That video is uploading now, actually.

Also, an ECTS test/replacement vid is up.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Maybe, I would just need some shocks (basically, money). Some day.

Yea, I really don't mind breaking things.

****ty thing though is I just did a rear brakes replacement vid today, ended up snapping off both torque member bolts while removing it to show removal of the rotor. So now I've got to get some money and go pick one of those up at the yard (assuming they aren't seized up like mine were), or get one (and the bolts) from the classifieds.

That video is uploading now, actually.

Also, an ECTS test/replacement vid is up.
Ah haha, sorry to hear that. I wish they would coat some of those damn bolts in some anti-rust liquid or something because I tried taking off my front calipers to clean them a paint them a more suitable color other than rust color and I heard cracking and so I chickened out and just put everything back until I can get some of that liquid wrench thingy haha
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 AM
The Golden One

Bro...when you get a good list of videos done, please send me the links in the following format:

PHP Code:
HowTo Video: *title* - [URL="put link here"]Link[/URL]

HowTo Video: *title* - [URL="put link here"]Link[/URL]

HowTo Video: *title* - [URL="put link here"]Link[/URL
(the actual Link should read just that...so don't change the word between the URL tags)

I'll add them to the HowTo thread at the bottom in a dedicated video section.

If any of you guys find videos online for the 4th Gen. that PMohr hasn't made, please PM them to me and I'll do the same for those.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Pmohr How about a throttle position sensor HowTo ?

That would help Loads !
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Added up a video on changing/checking (kinda) the AC/alt belt, I'll do the power steering belt at some other point.

Ilyak - I'll keep a running list like that in the first post to keep it easily updated.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 PM
wxm

Blower motor replacement how-to? No rush, I remember that it was in an awkward position on the 95...
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 AM

How-To on removal of window motor. Sunroof motor.

Axle Seals would be an awesome one.

How to rebuild a manual transmission would also be uper cool. I have a blown tranny if you need one to do the write up on.

How to fix your key locks (If you break your key in there. Or if it's just jammed and doesn't work anymore)
Old 07-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1
How-To on removal of window motor. Sunroof motor.

Axle Seals would be an awesome one.

How to rebuild a manual transmission would also be uper cool. I have a blown tranny if you need one to do the write up on.

How to fix your key locks (If you break your key in there. Or if it's just jammed and doesn't work anymore)

There are a couple of write ups on here for the 5spd rebuild. I know jtzmax did a pretty picture oriented write-up

No video though

And i dont see pmohr ripping apart a 5spd anytime soon...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
No more Maximas...

Heh I do plan on rebuilding a 5 speed to put in my car, but indeed, not likely anytime soon.

Added up a new one, removing/replacing the entire power antenna assembly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LfMi91hB30
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Not sure if this is really video worthy, but I tried looking on the searches and the instructions are too, unclear. I need a guide on how to remove the wiper blade arms and one on how to clean the IACV haha

I know there are a ton of IACV cleaning guides but its nicer to see a pro do it first before I dig in with my interpretation of the guides which could be right or wrong haha

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Not sure if this is really video worthy, but I tried looking on the searches and the instructions are too, unclear. I need a guide on how to remove the wiper blade arms and one on how to clean the IACV haha

I know there are a ton of IACV cleaning guides but its nicer to see a pro do it first before I dig in with my interpretation of the guides which could be right or wrong haha

Thanks!
Removing the wiper blades themselves, or the entire arm from the transmission/linkage?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 PM

My vote: Adjust trunk latch. When I use the remote it doesn't pop, I have to press down and that only works 25% of the time...

Last edited by max96imaaaa; 07-29-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by max96imaaaa
My votes: Adjust trunk latch and belts
AC/alt belt has already been done. Power steering belt will come...sometime.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Removing the wiper blades themselves, or the entire arm from the transmission/linkage?
Oh sorry, not the wiper blade but the whole assembly. Like the removing the arm that the wiper blades connect to. Mine are starting to fade and its looking extremely ugly, and so I was planning on sanding the hell out of it and then polish it up to make it polished metal.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Leo, if you pop the round plastic cover thing off, there's a big hex nut there. IIRC it's 14mm. Unscrew that with a ratchet, and the whole arm will come off. For reinstallation, you have to make sure you tighten the bolt well - if it's finger tight, it won't grip and the wiper won't move.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Ah, okay that sounds like what I've seen on older threads haha.

And do you mean the round cover thingy that goes on between the joint where the arm meets the wiper blade motor?

Sorry right now I don't have my car and so I can't really check for myself but if the cover you are talking about is at the joint then I think it should be a easy process
Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Yup. Just a plastic cap about the size of a half dollar. Pop it off and you see the bolt.

You may want to take a picture showing where the arms are, so that when you put them back on, you get them at the right angle.

I removed and repainted mine back in May. I dropped one of the 14mm bolts in engine bay, and couldn't find it. Had to go to the hardware store and find a new one. IIRC it was weird or something, because I think it was a M8, but not with the normal thread pitch. It definitely took me a few tries to get the right one.

Then, like 2 weeks ago, I finally found the bolt. It had fallen and landed on the transmission bellhousing, and had somehow managed to stay there for over 2 months and at least 3,000 miles driven (several road trips, as well as Maxus)
Old 07-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Any writeups on how to change inner door handles? i've found 2 links while searching and in the how to's i think but they all point to dead links...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Haha thank you for your help! I wanted to repaint them too, but I decided to go the that polished metal look for something different.

OH! And one more thing did you raise the blades at all to get the bolt or did you just leave them on the windshield?

I really wish I could have my car with me right now, but I had a...ahem... complete failure of various parts on my car because I decided to keep using temporary remedies like Seafoam instead of tackling the problem haha I had to replace all four brake rotors, all four pads, a fuel filter, a alternator, a stretched parking brake cable, I had to replace the rear calipers because they are frozen and the piston I asked Pmohr about a long time ago, froze in the open position slowly killing my rear rotor until it completely didn't move anymore, haha! $600 out of my savings for college..........
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 AM

How about these:

How to remove your Fuel Injectors. (SOOOOO HARD TO REMOVE FROM THE FUEL RAIL!)

How to Flow-Test your Fuel Injectors.

The more common: How to remove and test your ECTS (For all those with long cranking start-ups)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM
No more Maximas...

How about these:

How to remove your Fuel Injectors. (SOOOOO HARD TO REMOVE FROM THE FUEL RAIL!)

How to Flow-Test your Fuel Injectors.

The more common: How to remove and test your ECTS (For all those with long cranking start-ups)
I'll do the injectors at some point, they pop right out if you know what you're doing.

I don't have the capability to do flowtesting on injectors, nor do 99% of the people that would watch the vids.

For the ECTS, did you read the first post of this thread or check my channel? Already been done.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM

I'll do the injectors at some point, they pop right out if you know what you're doing.

I don't have the capability to do flowtesting on injectors, nor do 99% of the people that would watch the vids.

For the ECTS, did you read the first post of this thread or check my channel? Already been done.
Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. I was practicing pulling off some injectors at the junkyard and was rushing a little. I must've missed something.

If no flowtesting... How about other easy DIY tests that can verify whether or not the injector is still good.

Did you just add the ECTS? I must've overlooked it as I have been checking out your DIY vids. You are one sexy man.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM

You are one sexy man.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea

Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Anyways...........

back to topic.

I agree with trunk adjustment. Probley easier than hell but im just yeah..........lazy! and never bothered seaching.........
Old 08-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How bout changing the headers.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
I agree with trunk adjustment. Probley easier than hell but im just yeah..........lazy! and never bothered seaching.........
If I knew I could get it back in place right, I would. I just don't do body work.

Originally Posted by speed racer
How bout changing the headers.
I don't have headers, so I can't video changing them
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Y-Pipe Removal

Any chance you could make a video of the Y-Pipe removal process?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by balkan
Any chance you could make a video of the Y-Pipe removal process?
Sure.

It'll be a few weeks until I make any more videos, my box is at work now so I've got to get a set of tools for the house.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 PM

how to: search
Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Sure.

It'll be a few weeks until I make any more videos, my box is at work now so I've got to get a set of tools for the house.
Awesome. Thanks!

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
how to: search
Already done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6d_d-hR8Ws
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM

AC/alt belt has already been done. Power steering belt will come...sometime.
Hey a PS belt video would really help! I know I can do the alternator belt but wanna do both at the same time so I'm stalling.

Y-pipe & center member (cross member?) removal would also be good....or if you feel up to it, the steering rack (though I'm not sure you would wanna go through all of that just to put the same rack on)!

And if you do an end-link vid, you should undo one side by resorting to cutting some metal. I know I had the toughest time with that & still ended up going to a shop.

By the way, the videos you have are very helpful & appreciated! You curse too much though , j/k!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 PM

thanks for the videos...For the starter removal and replace , I could never think how easy you made it for the video...excellent..
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM

yea a power steering belt vid would b much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM

this's a great thread, thanks, my boss.

I would like to know how to replace a front CV axle. I have done a lot of search and did watch some videos, but none of them for nissan. I'm afraid that I would mess up things after I take off the wheels. so a video or instructions with pictures for 4th gen maxima would be very useful for newbies like me. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for more 'howto' tutorials? Post them here.