4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine oil got dirty after 1k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 PM

There is guidelines Nissan recommends and we have the right to deny warranty work if you cannot prove accurate maintenance records. Nissan factory recommendation for oil and filter changes are 3,750 miles. I know with synthetic fluids its easier to go longer but oil doesn't just lubricate, it also cools the pistons, absorbs moisture, dirt and blowby gasses to really imo the longer you leave it on there past the recommended interval that more wear you put on the motor.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by turbizzy
There is guidelines Nissan recommends and we have the right to deny warranty work if you cannot prove accurate maintenance records. Nissan factory recommendation for oil and filter changes are 3,750 miles. I know with synthetic fluids its easier to go longer but oil doesn't just lubricate, it also cools the pistons, absorbs moisture, dirt and blowby gasses to really imo the longer you leave it on there past the recommended interval that more wear you put on the motor.
As far as I'm concerned, Nissan fell into that 3k mile interval garbage also.

Blackstone Labs say different. The arguments here on the forums say about nine years ago also tell me different. I change my oil based on what it can handle and not what Nissan says. If my engine blows up at this point, then it's time because I have 273K on the ticker. She still runs fine.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by kisas
thanks! I will do some homework on this website. But wondering how many people here do this test. I mean, even I have the report, I probably can't understand the report and don't know what to do with it.
I do the test and you should follow this forum: http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...-and-info.html

You'll learn all about our specific engine (VQ35DE) and how it performs against all of the oils available for it. You'll also learn a lot about oil in general and get to see the actual UOA's.... Very interesting and I highly recommend it to all.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

We're dealing with cars that are MINIMUM 10-11 years old, I dont think anyone here has to worry about voiding their warranty.

Changing your oil every 3,750 miles is a waste of money unless you're putting that car through absolute hell on a constant basis, only a few here with a street legal max that even have the ability to do that, and I doubt any that actually run them hard all the time.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 PM

When you change your oil, you can't get every drop of the old oil out so the new oil mixes with the old oil and causes it to get dirty faster. It's normal over time for oil to get darker faster. Some new oils have a darker color to begin with as well.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
I do the test and you should follow this forum: http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...-and-info.html

You'll learn all about our specific engine (VQ35DE) and how it performs against all of the oils available for it. You'll also learn a lot about oil in general and get to see the actual UOA's.... Very interesting and I highly recommend it to all.
OUR specific engine isn`t the VQ35DE
Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
OUR specific engine isn`t the VQ35DE
Yeah after I hit submit I remembered I was in the 4th Gen forum, I'm really partial to this generation had two Max's from this Gen and loved them.

Anyway the same thing applies I did UOA's with Blackstone labs when I had my 4th Gen's only difference was I was running Mobil 1 back then.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM

I know Mobil 1 was all I ran in my car, changed the oil every 10k.
When it got wrote off it had 260k on it, no engine work whatsoever, one minor seep starting from the valve cover, engine ran like new, and I drove the crap out of that car every day all day.
Point is, especially with the VQ, you're wasting your money changing oil that often, the body, electrical, and parts around the engine will fall apart long before that engine has any problems at all, and by that time you'll probably be done with the car.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Thank you all, I have ordered an waste engine oil pan and I'll do the oil change by myself next week.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I know Mobil 1 was all I ran in my car, changed the oil every 10k.
When it got wrote off it had 260k on it, no engine work whatsoever, one minor seep starting from the valve cover, engine ran like new, and I drove the crap out of that car every day all day.
Point is, especially with the VQ, you're wasting your money changing oil that often, the body, electrical, and parts around the engine will fall apart long before that engine has any problems at all, and by that time you'll probably be done with the car.
Sweet, glad we have a nissan engineer on the board.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 AM

Just a question, how much do you guys spend on oil changes that you do yourself? since you buy the filter and the quarts of oil? Its $15 at a local shop for a filter and oil change and the car has always ran great.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 98GleMax
idk mann never had that problem on my 98 but i get my oil changed every 1500 miles...just incase...
That a waste of non-renewable resources, dude. Unless you are at the drag strip and running it at redline, there is no reason to change that often.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sweet, glad we have a nissan engineer on the board.
You don't nissan Nissan engineers to tell you the truth about oil changes because I'm sure most won't anyway. These topics have been beat to death but have been flooded with knowledge from the regular Joe Shmoe.

Last edited by deezo; 09-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.