4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen maxima macco job pics plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM

4th gen maxima macco job pics plz

hello i am thinking on getting my car painted the original color but my brother said he will prep the body for paint but wats ur takes on getting the car painted any pics on urs anthing u shoulda said to the guy???
also
my car is factory black
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM

dont bother asking here...for a few reasons.
1. the first post after mine will read "MAACO FTL"
2. someone elses maaco paint job may not look like your maaco paint job. it depends on who paints it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM

what does your brother do? explain to us how your brother is going to "prep" the body.

bottom line, if you want something done right, especially getting a car repainted, get it done right at a reputable shop. hope you weren't thinking about those cheap couple hundred bucks maaco paint jobs
Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM

and maaco FTL
Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM

u did it wrong, i said the first post after mine not the second.... tisk squared
Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM

i only got one maaco paint job and it was on my 98 Taurus SHO only because i wanted to sell it and paint was in bad condition. The exterior looked okay...i did spend about $1000 on the paint job though...not the $300 or $400 "specials" they have. They didnt tpae off as well as they should have, i had overspray everywhere. Crappy paint job...

you get what pay for

chances are if you take it to make some redneck named thorton will be painting your car after his lunch break of a 12 pack of bud. gotta remember they do a ton of cars each day so they dont really pay any particular attention to any individual car
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Addicted to the Org

See the thing with MAACO is, the lack of prep work. Anybody can basically spray down a car. What happens is, they don't mask off well. They also do a very quick job on scuffing up the old paint and putting on primer. Some don't even do that. Some just semi mask up and then spray new paint on. That's the reason you see a lot of their jobs chipping and fading is because of lack of prep. It's what you cannot see that kills it.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 PM

yep, maaco = big time blows!!!! they painted my 85 toyota camry like 15 years ago and i took it back 3 times!!!! paint on the windsheild, paint on the wheels, tires, even inside the car!!! they repainted it three times and finally got it right. never again!!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Many different factors to think about. 70% of the job is all in the prep work. Also not all Maaco body shops are the same, meaning the job might not always be good. Granted if you choose the cheaper package you will get cheaper paint. I would go to the shop and see the work they did on other vehicles.

Last edited by Fadrvr; 07-30-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hitm4n666 is money an issue here? i mean a good paint job is a couple grand
there are other alternatives than maaco
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM

What if you were to do all the masking and sanding yourself, and take it to them just to spray it?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
See the thing with MAACO is, the lack of prep work. Anybody can basically spray down a car. What happens is, they don't mask off well. They also do a very quick job on scuffing up the old paint and putting on primer. Some don't even do that. Some just semi mask up and then spray new paint on. That's the reason you see a lot of their jobs chipping and fading is because of lack of prep. It's what you cannot see that kills it.
Not well.... (RED)

OP: Do use them if you give a **** what it looks like.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxboy325
Not well.... (RED)

OP: Do use them if you give a **** what it looks like.

I guess we hate Maaco that much

http://maaco.pissedconsumer.com/
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Or you can just take a trip up too my uncle's shop in get a really nice paintjob were there are no rednecks and it is done with near perfection at a reasonable price.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 PM

Heres the best i got bud, MAACO is a franchise. And in these franchise's anyone can buy in. Anyone can open a shop, and due to the pure fact that its a franchise. The Host company doesnt give a **** about how the stores operate as long as they make money. People can hate on AAMCO and MAACO all they want. But in the end its not about the franchise; the name. Its about the people behind the buisness; doing the work.

My father runs an AAMCO, I've personally Run an AAMCO; and in working at the 4 diffrent stores we've run ive noticed that its really not about what You want. Its all money, (obvious i know).

i know everyone doesnt care, but my father runs one of the most successful aamcos in the country at this moment. And everything down from here will seem botched after that statement.

People ***** becasue they go somewhere to get a paint job or get their car fixed. And then they have the tenacity to bring in OLD USED parts or their own budget Paint, or whatever. And expect them to use these with NO profit, For CHEAP. People often come to us expecting us to warrenty their transmissions for years and years when they drive their cars like complete idiots. When your rollin in an S2000 youve got No room to tell US that you dont wanna pay more than the person who is Truely Down on His/Her Luck.

You Get What You Pay For. Its The Rules.

You want it done right, go to MAACO first and Tell them You have the money and you want it Done Right. If the Shop Looks SHady. Dont DO It. Look around the parking lot at the other cars there. See how they look, see if you want your car looking like one theyve just done.

Shops are all the same, People You Dont Know. Who could or could not be qualified Mechanics/Painters. And You must instill your trust in them to get the job done right. Sometimes you get screwed becasue you ran into a Lemon of a shop. Thats why we have this website. Its for DIY'ers and Modders.

I have nothing else constructive to add at this point, we cannot tell you FOR A FACT that the shop your gonna go to, is gonna do a GOOD JOB. Its IMPOSSIBLE to tell for a fact. I mean hell, Your Car could be in for an OIL ChANGE; yes a simple oil change. Tomorrow and FALL OFF THE RACK. Its happened And the only way you can judge how You are gonna come out of this situation is based on their past history and their staff.

I wish you the best of luck my friend.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM

aamco sucks, you fail........
Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 AM

A good friend of mine went to macco and said money doesn't matter I just want the best job I can get. He paid like 1800$ and waited 3 days. He got the car back and you could still see the old color through the paint in some places. They didn't scuff or bother to prime at all. About 6months later some of our friends egged the car as a prank on Halloween. Every egg that hit cracked right through the paint reveiling the old color. The job was awefull he paid through the nose and ended up selling the car at a huge loss. Macco sux pretty bad. I find it hard to believe that a skilled painter who knows what he is doing is going to open up a franchise and charge less than he can as an independant. Skilled painters have their own shops or work for a better painter. People looking for easy cash and a low paying job go to macco.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
aamco sucks, you fail........
Your AAMCO sucks, You FAIL.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Addicted to the Org

The AAMCO here in Birmingham sucks too. My friend has a 94 Taurus SHO, and it was at AAMCO 3 different times for his tranny. After he spent 1,200, his car is still down.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
A good friend of mine went to macco and said money doesn't matter I just want the best job I can get. He paid like 1800$ and waited 3 days. He got the car back and you could still see the old color through the paint in some places. They didn't scuff or bother to prime at all. About 6months later some of our friends egged the car as a prank on Halloween. Every egg that hit cracked right through the paint reveiling the old color. The job was awefull he paid through the nose and ended up selling the car at a huge loss. Macco sux pretty bad. I find it hard to believe that a skilled painter who knows what he is doing is going to open up a franchise and charge less than he can as an independant. Skilled painters have their own shops or work for a better painter. People looking for easy cash and a low paying job go to macco.
painters have to start somewhere, thats where places like maaco come in. IF you are fresh out of school, with a 2 year or less degree, dont expect to walk into a dealer, insurance shop, etc. and get a job. But some ppl never leave either they suck ***, or like where they work. I personally have seen ****** maaco jobs and good maaco jobs. My uncles S10 looks brand new, maaco painted 5 yrs. ago.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM

I had one of my cars painted by Maaco a while back. Yuck. Granted it did look better for the most part (car had a lot of rust in the quarter panels) but the finish left a lot to be desired. If I rubbed my hand across the paint in certain spots, it felt rough (and looked that way). Earl Scheib did a better job for less money and Earl Scheib isn't the best from what I hear either. Ninety-nine percent of the time you get what you pay for. For a few hundred dollars, expect your car to look ok for a couple of years. Don't expect it to look great or to last five years or more. Also don't be surprised to see over-spray on the glass, trim, or rims of your car. They don't remove body panels for that kind of money and half the time they do a sloppy job taping off the parts of your car that don't need paint. Just throwing in my two cents.