4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

making a cai intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:06 PM

making a cai intake

haven't been able to find a used cai setup here so I'm thinking about making my own. Looks like what I'll need to do the lower pipe into the fender are a couple of 90* elbows, some couplers, a maf adapter and filter. Any suggestions on where to buy the pieces? I'm using the stock resonator, so I don't need the parts for a midpipe.

I'll be in the States in about a week and can hit up some of the auto parts stores. Any of the chain stores (ie: Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Auto Zone etc) better than another to get the pieces? Also I presume 3" is the pipe size to use. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would buy a CAI off of ebay, use the pipes it comes with and then buy a nice filter for it. Or take a good look at the ebay kits to give you a good idea of what it will take.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM

agreed ^^^ i would just go with ebay and buy a better filter
Old 08-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Cost of shipping an ebay setup to Canada is pretty outrageous. Definitely not worth the money. that's why I'm looking to make my own.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:13 PM

I think you can get the parts for this anywhere, but I did what those guys are talking about, I have a cheapo ebay one that I didn't even install all the way, I just did 1 of the tubes because i didn't feel like cutting a hole in the fender. I put a K&N on it, and it's great. I have another max with an Injen, and to be honest the throttle response is better on my half-*** ebay intake.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 PM

A couple things.. I'm assumeing youve searched a great deal and know pre-install what your planning on doing with the CAI, as in where youll be placing it and such..

Dont do a crappy Pop-Charger. Thats what everyone does, and all you'll be doing is bringing in Nice and Warm engine bay Air.

If your planning on doing this, do it right. But in pretty much every situation ive seen here on the Org. People always revert back to the Stock Intake. Minus the Resonators...

Don't spend your money on the FleaBay CAI kits, they have gone Down Hill a great deal ive Heard. A Thread by Tatanko not too long ago went into better detail..
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
A couple things.. I'm assumeing youve searched a great deal and know pre-install what your planning on doing with the CAI, as in where youll be placing it and such..

Dont do a crappy Pop-Charger. Thats what everyone does, and all you'll be doing is bringing in Nice and Warm engine bay Air.

If your planning on doing this, do it right. But in pretty much every situation ive seen here on the Org. People always revert back to the Stock Intake. Minus the Resonators...

Don't spend your money on the FleaBay CAI kits, they have gone Down Hill a great deal ive Heard. A Thread by Tatanko not too long ago went into better detail..
Yeah, I've read dozens of threads and I'm planning on doing a true cold air setup ie: hole in the fender, filter drawing in outside air. From what I've read, it sounds like the best setup for an AT-equipped car, along with the stock resonator.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 PM

So I think im going to try the ebay + k&n combo. I dont really wanna spend 300 on the injen kit, especially with the mixed reviews. But i found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...Q5fAccessories
which i think im gonna get. Any advice on this and which cone filter to get would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows a good tutorial on installation it would be a huge help. Thanks in advance