4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Creaky coilovers. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 PM

Creaky coilovers. Help?

My front two Ksport coilovers creak like an old rocking chair everytime I turn my steering wheel back and forth, especially when turning it slowly. There's only about 20 thousand miles on them, and I live in the south so rust isn't an issue, so I dont know why they're doing this. It's getting very irritating, not to mention embarrasing. Any suggestions on how or what to lubricate them with? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM

You need to replace your strut bearings there about 40 bucks a pop and your going to need some spring compressors. i had the same problem when i got about half life in my suspension setup. Nissan strut bearings suck, and there are really aren't better ones out there
Old 09-12-2009, 02:35 AM

me too.. d2's are creakin'
Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by R33GXE
My front two Ksport coilovers creak like an old rocking chair everytime I turn my steering wheel back and forth, especially when turning it slowly. There's only about 20 thousand miles on them, and I live in the south so rust isn't an issue, so I dont know why they're doing this. It's getting very irritating, not to mention embarrasing. Any suggestions on how or what to lubricate them with? Thanks for the help.
It could be one of two things. Whats happening is, that locking collar on top of the lower strut mount that you use to tighten onto the mount is "breaking loose" for an instant, and causing the popping. Or, It could be the pillow ball joint on top of the strut in the camber plate. To differentiate between the two, you need to have another person turn the steering wheel and see where the noise is coming from. Or, in most cases, the pillow ball joint will make a small popping sound, whereas the strut collar will make a more pronounced, louder popping sound.

You have a few options. For the pillow ball joint, you can try using some lubricant like WD40, but something like White Lithium Grease (the aerosolized version) or Aerokroil would work best.

If it is the Strut Collar, then you have two options. The permanent solution would be to modify the collar to make it "lock" onto the threaded strut housing. In other words you do something along these lines:

The screws simply clamp down onto the housing, and it does not budge. At all.

The other viable alternative, but not so permanent solution is to simply clean the threads of the housing, put some thread lock on them, and tight down the collar as tight as you can get it to go.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by Algertron
You need to replace your strut bearings there about 40 bucks a pop and your going to need some spring compressors. i had the same problem when i got about half life in my suspension setup. Nissan strut bearings suck, and there are really aren't better ones out there
Ksports... are not struts and springs. They're coilovers. The method you're referring to is for strut/springs.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Maximoneypit

^^^^ absolutely correct