4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Update....New Starter installed same problem....need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 AM

I had to go through 2 starters to get a good one, go oem, theres not many options, when some children are paid 1$ a month to fix parts, it doesnt get done right. simple
i bought a reman starter. **** out after 4 months, same things you have, with the teeth not fully engaging. i got a used one from a member and its been better than the reman.
also, i started with 11 teeth on my stock and im down to 8 because 96's have 8 teeth on their manuals.
btw this is not resurrecting. its not even a month old!

while your down there make sure you get another ground on your starter to the tranny. mine didnt have the problems associated with having a bad ground but, a lil preventive act never hurt anybody.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Maybe need to replace the flywheel??? Any transmission issues?? Like, does the car sometimes take a while to engage a gear? 200k is a lotta miles.
No ive never had ANY problems with the trans as of now. Yeah after 13 yrs of almost daily use the flywheel is bound to have a groove but from what i could see in the bellhousing the flywheel looked fine. Ive never had nothing but smooth starts until i replaced the starter
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Arrrggghhhh!!, get this guys, i just ran outside in the cold decided to pull this starter off right quick so i could get a look at it before i take it back tues. and..........the freakin thing is stuck to the housing!!

I made sure i removed the right bolts lol, and yes there both out and I can't make it budge a inch, i pulled with all i got and it will not move. Its like its still bolted to the housing!! wtf?????

last time it just fell right off as soon as i pulled the last bolt out.

I even tryed prying with a ratchet handle and nothing. Any suggestions?

Last edited by WhiteMaxima9600; 10-19-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 PM

Hmm... could the grinding how had somehow fused or because something got wedged in a position where it shouldn't be?

This grinding noise is a perplexing problem, I all of a sudden for the past few months have had this grinding noise just like you when I try to crank the car, and usually it just dies after making that sound, but on the days where I don't car and just hold down the key it keeps cranking after the noise and then starts.

Originally Posted by WhiteMaxima9600
Arrrggghhhh!!, get this guys, i just ran outside in the cold decided to pull this starter off right quick so i could get a look at it before i take it back tues. and..........the freakin thing is stuck to the housing!!

I made sure i removed the right bolts lol, and yes there both out and I can't make it budge a inch, i pulled with all i got and it will not move. Its like its still bolted to the housing!! wtf?????

last time it just fell right off as soon as i pulled the last bolt out.

I even tryed prying with a ratchet handle and nothing. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 AM

I'm just as confused but the starter must come out one way or another. Tricky part will be getting it out without damaging the starter itself or the transmission. Im gonna let someone else take a look at it before i go banging and prying
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Double check that you took the right bolts out lmao. I cant tell you how many times I've been prying on something that still had a bolt or two in it.

Have you tried lightly "hammering" downwards on it? I've had some mildly stuck starters that I could put my weight on and they came loose. If you dont understand what im saying, I mean rather than trying to pull it towards the driver side, try wiggling up and down on it vertically.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
Double check that you took the right bolts out lmao. I cant tell you how many times I've been prying on something that still had a bolt or two in it.

Have you tried lightly "hammering" downwards on it? I've had some mildly stuck starters that I could put my weight on and they came loose. If you dont understand what im saying, I mean rather than trying to pull it towards the driver side, try wiggling up and down on it vertically.
Yeah, believe me i tryed everything except hammering. I took some pics so you can see the bolts. Funny thing, i hooked the starter back up just to see if it would "bump" over and maybe free it and it would do nothing, it's like it is dead

Here's the empty bolt holes and the two bolts I removed!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 PM

I've beat on this till im convinced it's seized to the flywheel or something. Looks like the max is down
Old 10-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Im still stuck on this. Someone told me that the gear on the starter prob. got stuck engaged and basically burnt itself onto the flywheel?? How and the he** can i get it off the car? This is really a strange problem to me, i dunno.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Im still stuck on this. Someone told me that the gear on the starter prob. got stuck engaged and basically burnt itself onto the flywheel?? How and the he** can i get it off the car? This is really a strange problem to me, i dunno.
BFH.

Can you spin the engine from the crank pulley, or does it act like it's seized up?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 PM

That was my next move, but I ran outta time. Would turning the crank pulley maybe free it from the flywheel? Do you know right of hand what size bolt that crank pulley is? If it does act siezed up, what would that mean? Thanks man!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 PM
No more Maximas...

That was my next move, but I ran outta time. Would turning the crank pulley maybe free it from the flywheel? Do you know right of hand what size bolt that crank pulley is? If it does act siezed up, what would that mean? Thanks man!!
Wouldn't necessarily free it up, but would be nice to see if the starter is locked up.

IIRC it's a 19mm head bolt.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Soon as I get time this week, i'll see if the motor turns. Which way should I turn the bolt? clock or counter clockwise? Also, would it matter if it was in gear or should it be in neutral? Yes, i know nothing about auto transmissions

I'm pretty sure it's locked, it's only started the car maybe 25-30 times in it's 2 week life time and acts to be dead. I just replaced the ignition switch and the battery so everything on that end is new.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Soon as I get time this week, i'll see if the motor turns. Which way should I turn the bolt? clock or counter clockwise? Also, would it matter if it was in gear or should it be in neutral? Yes, i know nothing about auto transmissions

I'm pretty sure it's locked, it's only started the car maybe 25-30 times in it's 2 week life time and acts to be dead. I just replaced the ignition switch and the battery so everything on that end is new.

The car wont turn over period? Hell man, u might as well start banging the starter then. I dont even get how it would get stuck. But i have thought ur flywheel was worn for some time now. For the starter to not move then it must be lodge against somethin. Unless the teeth for the flywheel are lodged onto the inside housing of the starter?? But im speculating and not really providing useful info...Hey man at some point gotta jus bite the bullet and start bangin at it. Unless u can somehow turn the driveshaft inside the engine...but then if the flywheel is truly lodged to the starter ... man this sucks!!! sorry bro
Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM

There's a driveshaft in the engine?

Srsly though beat it up. That's what she said.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM

Only reason i have not whaled on it is b/c I figure the parts store won't exchange it if it's all beat up. We all know how those parts store exchanges go. As far as a driveshaft in the engine goes, I really don't know what that means LOL. What I meant by that is if I turn the engine over manually via the crank pulley nut hopefully the starter teeth will disengage enough for me to beat the damn starter out

This is such a strange problem, I never even knew a starter could do this
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 AM

Take a good size piece of wood, place it in an area where the starter won't crack and hammer on the wood. You may want to secure the starter slighly with one of the bolts so it does not fall. I just replaced my starter a couple of months ago and it is hard to believe it could be stuck like that. Maybe the starter did not engage properly and got stuck.

Last edited by Nopike; 10-23-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Take a good size piece of wood, place it in an area where the starter won't crack and hammer on the wood. You may want to secure the starter slighly with one of the bolts so it does not fall. I just replaced my starter a couple of months ago and it is hard to believe it could be stuck like that. Maybe the starter did not engage properly and got stuck.
Yes, it is hard to believe but I assure you it's stuck However I still want to try to turn the motor over manually before I go hammering. Thanks for the help, any is appreciated! The org is the best
Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 PM

If you get to the hammering stage maybe going from below the car may work better than from above. Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
If you get to the hammering stage maybe going from below the car may work better than from above. Just a thought.
That could work, but where the car is currently sitting it would be extremely difficult to get underneath, even with a jack. I had to push it to where it sits now, after all these yrs of reliablity it felt bad having to push it to where I needed it to go Now if i could get through this weekend of work maybe i'll have time to work on it again
Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That could work, but where the car is currently sitting it would be extremely difficult to get underneath, even with a jack. I had to push it to where it sits now, after all these yrs of reliablity it felt bad having to push it to where I needed it to go Now if i could get through this weekend of work maybe i'll have time to work on it again
Did you get the car fixed at the end? Since you replaced both starter and battery, is it the flywheel or something else?