4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Read I need help asap!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Please Read I need help asap!!!!!!!

My 98 Maxima Se is hemorrhaging transmission fluid at about the same rate as im putting new fluid in, guess u could call it self changing , i need to find a transmission shop in nnj that can fix it, someone reputable and as cheap as possible and need an opinion on where to take it tomorrow. i think i have an idea where its leaking from, about febuary/march of this year the nissan dealer told me i had a tiny leak from the transmission axle seal on the drivers side, now there is a constent drip of fluid from by where the drivers side axle meets the transmission.

btw: you can probably find where my cars been parked around montclair nj where i go to college by the giant puddles of red ATF in the spots iv parked in the last 2 days!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM

dude, why not just replace the axle seal??? is the tranny slipping??? your rear main seal might be leaking now too, if your not slipping then i suggest just getting a shop to replace those seals.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dude explaine on the header what your problem is will ya.... i hate when people do this crap...and yes the guy above has hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM

I understand all that! Thank god there is no slipping, it all just seams to be leaking from the d/s trans axle, but i wanted to know if anyone has a place in nnj that they reccomend im going to take it asap cause i dont want to end up dumping in a new tranny or rebuilding it! Just need some advice on a reputable place to take it to in North New Jersey near Montclair is all. thank you for reading and posting but a reputable place is my main concern, i dont wanna take it some where and end up getting screwed over!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 PM

dude, you know what the heck is wrong, how do you let it go to where its now an emergency??? any shop should be able to do this, axle seal will take 2 hours if im not mistaken plus the seal. i paid some shop like 275.00 like 4 years ago, dont drive unless you have to!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
dude, you know what the heck is wrong, how do you let it go to where its now an emergency??? any shop should be able to do this, axle seal will take 2 hours if im not mistaken plus the seal. i paid some shop like 275.00 like 4 years ago, dont drive unless you have to!!!
Thanx for the advice! im not driving it! btw it was all fine till i took it for its first and only car wash in about 6 months with undercaradge cleaning this week, all of the suden a barely visable leak now turned into this! just gotta put some more atf in it in the morning after i cheack the level, i put penzoil atf with stop leak & a few oz of Lucas trans that i had lyin around in it earlier and i just checked under the car and its not leaking as badly! there is only about a 3 or 4 inch spot of ATF on the ground in the new spot i parked in this afternoon, only reason i had to drive was cause i just started a new job today and couldent call out on the first day!!!!!! but i made sure there was atf in there! Guess im just gunna find anywhere tomorrow and hope i dont get raped.... thanks for all the advice and again if anyone out here in this maxima.org community knows a reputable shop in nnj please let me know, even if its 20 miles away from montclair.... i have AAA towing so i could have them tow it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM

or just save up some more money, and do a Overhaul on the whole car.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 AM

I thought this was a place for people that knew what they were doing around vehicles?

Axle seals are simple, you don't need any power tools (although they'll make it easier) and you can do this in your driveway assuming it's not raining or snowing too heavily.

Get out there and tear it up man, about the most complicated part of it is gonna be hitting the axle with a rubber mallet to set it back into the tranny.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima9499
I thought this was a place for people that knew what they were doing around vehicles?

Axle seals are simple, you don't need any power tools (although they'll make it easier) and you can do this in your driveway assuming it's not raining or snowing too heavily.

Get out there and tear it up man, about the most complicated part of it is gonna be hitting the axle with a rubber mallet to set it back into the tranny.

If everyone "knew what they were doing around vehicles" there wouldn't be a point of the .org now would there?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Got Retrofit?

Just change those seals and be done with it. If after you change the seals it still leaks, don't rebuild just grab a tranny from a junkyard and swap it in.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Dude just buy an axle seal, they are about 10 bucks at the dealer...do it over the weekend. Find out if anyone from the org is anywhere near you. Pay them to do it and you help them out.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 PM

I got it fixed on friday! Lets just say it was a little more than i expected.... im a college student who parks on campus and doing anything that requires getting under the car is out of the question / imposible! I was refered by a few local shops to Ammco in Clifton NJ.... btw i hate chain places like that but they did do a good job in my opinion, the found 2 leaks one form the trans pan gaseket and the other ws the axle seal, they also did a "power purge" which i was sceptical about having 205,000 miles on the car, but i figured what the hell the manager assured me that it would be fine and i got a call it was all done at 4pm the same day after droping it off at 1pm....

All i can say is WOW the car drives 1000% better after the fluid power purge & new gaskets! i thought it kinda dorve a little funny like hesitating to upshift but wasnt slipping by anymeans at first and i guess its cause of the new fresh fluid but now after driving to long island for my nephews christining the car drives like a dream!!!! it was deff worth every over priced penny lol now lets see what happens next...! (hopefully nothing else for a while)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys,

I'm just testing to see if I can post here. The site wouldn't let me start a new thread for some reason.

In case this works, sorry for hijacking the thread!

I'm changing my water pump, and the unthinkable happened: I dropped the tensioner piston and spring into the timing chain cover. I have a telescoping magnet that I'll try to use to fish it out, but in the event that I'm not successful, do you guys have any other suggestions? Could I pull the timing chain cover back far enough to see in without taking too many parts out?

Thanks!