4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What car alarm/Remote start ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whats everyone have installed? What do you recommend?

i was thinking of Viper 5901 but i am not sure if that can be wired to my car.

I want key-less entry and remote start.

I have a 5spd.

or something like this:

http://autoalarmpro.com/2_way_starter_w_alarm

Last edited by Infowire; 10-11-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I second this request! It's been snowing here for about a week already and I have a newborn due any day now.... I need remote start on our maxima!!!

I'm thinking of cheaping out and just getting a 1-way remote start. Bad idea?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 AM
I need a truck

Get a two way RS. Go with Viper.

Check the audio/video/electronics forum for info.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM

Viper 771 or Viper 791.

Decently priced and works well. Though you have to wire it up with a relay or something to make the trunk work. Also, you'll need another module for the windows up/windows down functions.

But that goes w/out saying for most of these.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 AM

Commando EZ-2100

I installed the Commando EZ-2100 in my 98 Maxima SE 10 years ago and it's never failed. I programmed it so I can use the OEM keyless entry switch to start the engine by clicking the unlock button 3 times. I wired the remote starter so the switch can start the rear defroster and the AC.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Viper 791, is that discontinued? i don't see it on the viper site. Its a dew bucks less than the 5901 that i was looking at. Prob better to get the newer one? Just wondering if the 5901 can be installed in the 95 manual maxima?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM

5901 is a good way to go. I have 04 6SPD, it works perfectly and without a hitch. The difference between manual and automatic is bypassing the clutch. In order for the alarm to do this there is a procedure you must follow. Also if you don't have a 3rd key or a spare key (I don't consider my 2nd key a spare lol) they need to install a module to allow the car to think there is a key in the ignition. However that may only be for newer Maximas with the smart chip in the key. As said you may need a module for windows up and down as well.

The autostart procedure is as follows. It must be done with the car on and prior to getting out of the car.

1. Park the Car (of course)
2. Make sure car is in neutral. If not in neutral the autostart will not function.
3. Press and hold the brake and then pull your hand brake up, then release the brake.
4. Press the autostart button on your remote.
5. You should hear a sound on your remote, and your parking lights will flicker.
6. Remove key and open the door, the car should still be running.
7. Close door and hit lock button and car will shutdown.

Tips/Hints
If your doing the process and aren't sure if the lights flickered to confirm the procedure take a look at your remote and look for a circle with "lines" and dot in the middle. That means the autostart procedure is initiated.

After you hit the lock button you should see a shift stick on the bottom right next to the lock and above the time.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 AM

yeah but an 04 is a bit newer.... than a 95 ;/
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jholley
I installed the Commando EZ-2100 in my 98 Maxima SE 10 years ago and it's never failed. I programmed it so I can use the OEM keyless entry switch to start the engine by clicking the unlock button 3 times. I wired the remote starter so the switch can start the rear defroster and the AC.

Did you use a bypass module (like the 556u). People on this site have been saying we need it on our 98's but I called Nissan to get a key and they said that started in 99.

Is it an easy install? ( i've installed a compustar alarm+ remote start on an 94 integra but that took me 4 full days [first time ever])

Also, how is the range on your factory FOB. If i decide to get the 160xv would you mind giving me some tips or hints on what you did to wire it to your factory keyfob?

Was gonna install a 791xv and have it installed for $140 but I think if i just get the 160xv and install myself it'll be cheaper.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 PM

No a bypass module wasn't needed to get the EZ-2100 working.

Finding those wires then splicing into them isn't that hard it's just time consuming. To get the AC and rear defroster working I just needed to add a few relay switches.

The EZ-2100 FOB only has about 1/2 the range of the Nissan OEM FOB, which is why I programmed it with the OEM FOB. You just have to wire the unlock switch in the drivers door to the EZ-2100, then program the EZ-2100 so it starts after 3 clicks. You definetly don't want your car starting each time you click the unlock button.

Send me a message and I'll reply back with about a dozen files I dowloaded or wrote myself to get this thing working.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

jholley: pm sent.

and I did confirm what you said by calling Nissan and getting an extra key made at Lowe's. 98's don't need the bypass module. =D (for anyone else that was confused besides me)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you hook up rear defrost and heated seats to most remote start systems?

Or for heated seats can you just leave the switch on for the next start?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Conrad283
Get a two way RS. Go with Viper.

Check the audio/video/electronics forum for info.
YOU should know better !

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Viper 771 or Viper 791.

Decently priced and works well. Though you have to wire it up with a relay or something to make the trunk work. Also, you'll need another module for the windows up/windows down functions.

But that goes w/out saying for most of these.
Both are long gone - discontinued.

Window modules are only needed for 2001 and down. '02+ does not need them.

Originally Posted by Infowire
Viper 791, is that discontinued? i don't see it on the viper site. Its a dew bucks less than the 5901 that i was looking at. Prob better to get the newer one? Just wondering if the 5901 can be installed in the 95 manual maxima?
Yes it is.

Originally Posted by sjamaica11434
5901 is a good way to go. I have 04 6SPD, it works perfectly and without a hitch. The difference between manual and automatic is bypassing the clutch. In order for the alarm to do this there is a procedure you must follow. Also if you don't have a 3rd key or a spare key (I don't consider my 2nd key a spare lol) they need to install a module to allow the car to think there is a key in the ignition. However that may only be for newer Maximas with the smart chip in the key. As said you may need a module for windows up and down as well.

The autostart procedure is as follows. It must be done with the car on and prior to getting out of the car.

1. Park the Car (of course)
2. Make sure car is in neutral. If not in neutral the autostart will not function.
3. Press and hold the brake and then pull your hand brake up, then release the brake.
4. Press the autostart button on your remote.
5. You should hear a sound on your remote, and your parking lights will flicker.
6. Remove key and open the door, the car should still be running.
7. Close door and hit lock button and car will shutdown.

Tips/Hints
If your doing the process and aren't sure if the lights flickered to confirm the procedure take a look at your remote and look for a circle with "lines" and dot in the middle. That means the autostart procedure is initiated.

After you hit the lock button you should see a shift stick on the bottom right next to the lock and above the time.
'02+ does not need an additional key, although that is an alternative.

NONE of that procedure is needed if the installer knows what theyre doing.

Originally Posted by enjoytheride
Did you use a bypass module (like the 556u). People on this site have been saying we need it on our 98's but I called Nissan to get a key and they said that started in 99.

Is it an easy install? ( i've installed a compustar alarm+ remote start on an 94 integra but that took me 4 full days [first time ever])

Also, how is the range on your factory FOB. If i decide to get the 160xv would you mind giving me some tips or hints on what you did to wire it to your factory keyfob?

Was gonna install a 791xv and have it installed for $140 but I think if i just get the 160xv and install myself it'll be cheaper.

Thanks!
556U and TBXKEY are only needed in 99-'01 but can be used in later years - just not needed. There are other bypasses that do not require the 'loss' of a key.

Originally Posted by JackMeUp
Can you hook up rear defrost and heated seats to most remote start systems?

Or for heated seats can you just leave the switch on for the next start?

Thanks!

Yes and yes.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:18 PM

@Pearl96max

I'm lost to as why that procedure is not necessary for 02+?;

What is the alternative to the extra key, or module?;

and

I was informed I need the window module as the key lock only makes the windows go up, not up and down. Which is a sign you need the module. Was I misinformed or misled by my ears?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

@Pearl96max

I'm lost to as why that procedure is not necessary for 02+?;
Leave it automatic trans mode. Connect the neutral wire (small Black/White) to the actual neutral safety switch wire in the car. It will work just like and auto and cannot be started in gear.

What is the alternative to the extra key, or module?;
XK07 bypass learns the key code and repeats it for remote start. More pricey than the 'key in a box', but less than buying and 'losing' another key.

I was informed I need the window module as the key lock only makes the windows go up, not up and down. Which is a sign you need the module. Was I misinformed or misled by my ears?
Channels 4 & 5 tied to the doorlock wires set to validity. This will do windows up and down with your remote. Comfort closure turned on for the windows to roll up when arming.

Your key in the cylinder on the door should also make them go up and down.

Either misinformed or they were not totally educated.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 AM

i have a 99 max with an astrostart 2 way. ive only had this remote start because its so good and reliable. i have a 2 way remote with it. it has all onboard relays so i didnt need anything to make my trunk pop or doors unlockand and my defrost is set to turn after a start. for the summer i just un plug the wire that goes to the switch for it. its was verry easy to install i did it myself. to bypass the factory starter disable i took the chip out of my key and taped it to the box so it will always scan it. but this starter can do window roll up or down as well so if you wanna go crazy you have the ability to. but alot of remote starters do the same and have the same features like on board relays now. but definately get a 2 way they are so worth the money in my book. but good luck with your decision.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jholley
I know this is a little old, but I'll try to resurrect it. If you have the starter programmed to activate when clicking the unlock button 3 times, will this not also unlock all doors? Supplemental question: If it does, do you just click the lock button again? Does this cancel the start/shut the car off?

I ask because I like this idea of keeping the oem remote, along with the oem features (horn alarm, windows, silent arming, etc.) without having to mess with an annoying aftermarket alarm. If this is not a practical solution, I'd like to find a high quality remote starter that allows me to employ the factory alarm, window, trunk and lock features.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

JP
98 GLE Auto
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by new maxi owner
i have a 99 max with an astrostart 2 way. ive only had this remote start because its so good and reliable. i have a 2 way remote with it. it has all onboard relays so i didnt need anything to make my trunk pop or doors unlockand and my defrost is set to turn after a start. for the summer i just un plug the wire that goes to the switch for it. its was verry easy to install i did it myself. to bypass the factory starter disable i took the chip out of my key and taped it to the box so it will always scan it. but this starter can do window roll up or down as well so if you wanna go crazy you have the ability to. but alot of remote starters do the same and have the same features like on board relays now. but definately get a 2 way they are so worth the money in my book. but good luck with your decision.
I know this is a little old, but I'll try to resurrect it. If you have the starter programmed to activate when clicking the unlock button 3 times, will this not also unlock all doors? Supplemental question: If it does, do you just click the lock button again? Does this cancel the start/shut the car off?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM

The 5901 is a great unit. I've installed 3 of them in the last two weeks to various maxima owners, and they love it. I recently upgraded my 5901 to the 5902. The system is identical with the exception of the colour LCD remote. It's a little flashier, and the layout of the controls makes it a lot easier to use than the 5901 remote.

IF you already have a 5901 system and wanna upgrade to the 5902, all you need is the remote. Program it to the 5901 brain, and you'll have no issues using it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Disregard my last question...I asked the local Nissan dealership, who referred me to a detail/accessory shop that installs the Astrostart models. Going with the RSS2524 (two way). I didn't even think to realize that the factory security (which is all the alarm I want) will arm itself once the power locks are switched, whether by the door switch or by remote. I'm confident this is the better choice. Thanks.

JP
98 GLE
Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
The 5901 is a great unit. I've installed 3 of them in the last two weeks to various maxima owners, and they love it. I recently upgraded my 5901 to the 5902. The system is identical with the exception of the colour LCD remote. It's a little flashier, and the layout of the controls makes it a lot easier to use than the 5901 remote.

IF you already have a 5901 system and wanna upgrade to the 5902, all you need is the remote. Program it to the 5901 brain, and you'll have no issues using it.
Except your Temp request can be off up to 7 degrees. Also the harnesses are not all the same.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jayrae01
Disregard my last question...I asked the local Nissan dealership, who referred me to a detail/accessory shop that installs the Astrostart models. Going with the RSS2524 (two way). I didn't even think to realize that the factory security (which is all the alarm I want) will arm itself once the power locks are switched, whether by the door switch or by remote. I'm confident this is the better choice. Thanks.

JP
98 GLE
You do realize the OEM alarm is nothing more than a horn honk and entry coverage. It is SUPER easy to get past.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Except your Temp request can be off up to 7 degrees. Also the harnesses are not all the same.
The temp is generally accurate, but with the sensor being built into the brain, it'll take longer to "cool off" after a drive than the rest of the interior. I've never had an issue with it being innacurate first thing in the morning.

All the harnesses are completely identical. The only ones that differ are the first production run 5901's. They still used many individual harnesses. Their second production run combined a few of them into one big harness. Also the second production run 5901's give you one additional auxiliary output.

IF you're just upgrading to a 5902, it doesn't matter either way...all you'll have to do is program the new remote and you're good to go.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You do realize the OEM alarm is nothing more than a horn honk and entry coverage. It is SUPER easy to get past.
do Viper alarms "really protect" your car that much?

I was told that most thief's know how to bypass these things easily.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1998MaximaGLE
do Viper alarms "really protect" your car that much?

I was told that most thief's know how to bypass these things easily.
ANY alarm can be bypassed given enough time. The point of most alarms is to slow down a thief. Most thieves will move on to an easier target if your car has an alarm. You can spend lots of money on an alarm but you get less bang for your buck with more options...plus you have the nuisance factor. The more protection on your alarm the more false alarms you will get. All anyone really needs is an impact sensor, door triggers, and maybe a glass breakage sensor. I don't even like starter kill on most cars since it just directs the thief to the wires that need to be jumped.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

go with the viper or a clifford..theyre all made by directed electronics so its all the same. pay more for a name.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 PM

resurrection =)

So finally just purchased a 5902 viper, $314 shipped. not too bad =) Now i need to figure out how to wire everything.. it's been a while.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 AM

There may be some other systems out that can do manual trans but regardless Auto or manual CompuStar is 1 of if not the best out there for reliability etc. For a long time they were the only company that had a remote start specifically for manuals whereas most places won't even touch a manual trans. for remote start.
I hope some other companies are now willing to do it but CompuStar was the frontrunner on manual trans. and have solid history backing it. If Auto you have many more options but IMO CompuStar is great choice for Auto and especially manual trans. Other companies may claim they can do it (mainly bypassing things) but may not be specifically engineered to work on a manual trans and won't have a dedicated brain/system for it so things may be more complicated/annoying to get remote start on a manual i.e. the steps/order of operations needed to get to remote start w/o having to do a whole bunch of BS to set it to start remotely. Let me know if you guys want/need more info on this
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

resurrection =)

So finally just purchased a 5902 viper, $314 shipped. not too bad =) Now i need to figure out how to wire everything.. it's been a while.
if you need the wiring diagrams let me know just shoot me a pm.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

I would highly recommend the compustar pro series 2-way pager alarm man. I've had it for about 4yrs and I haven't had any problems thus far.it's very durable,and the range is insane superb. It's a very reliable security system, just find someone who knows these alarrm pagers like the back of their hands and they give warranty on installation.

Only problem I ever came across is the radio stays on in valet mode compared to other cars so if you go through the sequence for the remote start and you turn the key out of start and you come out the car it will lock on you. Happened to me once. Other than that you're good.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

I would highly recommend the compustar pro series 2-way pager alarm man. I've had it for about 4yrs and I haven't had any problems thus far.it's very durable,and the range is insane superb. It's a very reliable security system, just find someone who knows these alarrm pagers like the back of their hands and they give warranty on installation.

Only problem I ever came across is the radio stays on in valet mode compared to other cars so if you go through the sequence for the remote start and you turn the key out of start and you come out the car it will lock on you. Happened to me once. Other than that you're good.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM

resurrection =)

i got the same alarm a year ago and its worked flawless since. i love it.