4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

oem key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM

oem key replacement

Just bought a 97 max and it came with 2 very worn down keys. Both keys work in the ignition but only one with a whole lot of wobbling and fan-angling works on the trunk/door cylinder. Stopped by the dealer with my Vin to have them cut a new OEM and they said they do not have a listing for a key code. What do i do know? help!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 PM

I had a key copied at ace once from a old key and then had him copy the copy and it came out all most brand new. you could try that but it will cost you a few bucks.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM

The problem you are having with door locks is likely due to the lock cylinder being exposed to the elements with dirt and other nasties being introduced into the lock; whereas the ingnition lock has not been exposed to the elements. My '91 has the same issue especially one door where the retractable cylinder cover is stuck open. You may want to shoot some graphite powder into the lock and see if it starts to work better. Walmart or anywhere that makes keys will sell the little tubes of powder.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by VQPOWERGLE
I had a key copied at ace once from a old key and then had him copy the copy and it came out all most brand new. you could try that but it will cost you a few bucks.
ill have one cut this weekend and see if it helps, i just assumed it would trace the same worn mold...but worth a try!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by redhunter
The problem you are having with door locks is likely due to the lock cylinder being exposed to the elements with dirt and other nasties being introduced into the lock; whereas the ingnition lock has not been exposed to the elements. My '91 has the same issue especially one door where the retractable cylinder cover is stuck open. You may want to shoot some graphite powder into the lock and see if it starts to work better. Walmart or anywhere that makes keys will sell the little tubes of powder.
Thanks! that completely makes sense, ill try to get ahold of the graphite powder this weekend. I do have white lithium grease, should i try that?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by redhunter
Bought some graphite powder at Lowes yesterday....it was like magic! works great now! thanks redhunter