4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lowering your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 PM

I use megan racing coilovers.. this thread helped me with my decision

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthr...oilover+review
Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Aftermarket Parts

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
who exactly do you think designs the quality aftermarket stuff? Actually, the cheap azz **** is also designed the same way, it's the testing and manufacturing (and associated design changes) that makes something higher quality usually.

And you don't think these "professional engineers" arent handcuffed at times by some jackazz MBA's who force them to use cheaper stuff, or make beefier designs less robust because it will save $XX? OR worry about if they can sell that Avalon to grandma and grandpa instead of a 20-40yo?
Hell, e36 BMW's have a historic problem of the rear suspension coming up through the trunk.....sound dangerous? So you want to blame the engineer or the MBA manager for that one?

Anyway, you don't have to put any thought into it, almost every combination has been done, and a lot of aftermarket companies give you a lifetime guarantee, unlike the stuff the "professional engineers" designed to be stock.
Look in the FAQ's,

I will quickly say this, no coil-over system I've ever heard about is more reliable than just a spring and strut combo, aside from that it's personal preference.
Aftermarket parts are designed by qualified engineers as well (usually). But they are designed for certain applications. You can't just pick a random kit or cut your springs and expect quality and performance. That's why I phrased my comment in a very particular way: if you don't know what you are doing, you will end up with a crappy ride in the end.

Most design decisions for mass production vehicles are based on cost in large part - that's obvious. Of course it is possible to improve or upgrade a stock vehicle. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me on.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM

though i'm not against lowering, i am against all the headaches that follow. even if done "properly" or "right" with expensive equipments, it will eventually give you problems. none of my cars are lowered, but my friends and brother lowered their cars. based on their experiences, it's not worth the "look" or the added benefits of being able to take corners at a higher speed, etc.... for example, my brother's '93 Accord is lowered 1.25" front and back with tokico illuminas and ground control coilovers, along with all the fancy bushings, sway bars, strut bars, alignment kits, etc.... since he lowered it, he has gone through 4 sets of front upper control arms, 1 set of front lower control arms, replaced his blown illuminas once, switch those bushings who knows how many times. now, his rear is starting to go out and will eventually need to be replaced. what's worst is that the ride is not even smooth. oh yeah, it corners an extreme corner at 70mph and gets all the looks from friends and girls, but that's it. with over 60K+ miles on that setup, the rough suspension and road conditions are taking a beating on the car body. it flexs and creaks and makes all sorts of noises. once a beautiful brand new car is now just a piece of junk. talk about being young and stupid, he didn't know what he was getting himself into. now, the car is POS and returning it to stock is worthless. this goes the same with almost everyone friend that i know lowered their cars. bottom line is.....if you're ready for the headaches that follow, lower it.....if not, don't do it.! my $.02!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Grumpy old guy

I don't see many posts stating my car is falling apart from my suspension upgrade but when I do see one the parts used are usually crap or there's no other maintenance done to sway bar end links and lower control arms on a 14 year old car.

I'm an old guy riding on KYB AGX's and H&R's for several years, I drive hard and push the car.

I also maintain the car so maybe that's why I don't have suspension issues.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nozama
I don't see many posts stating my car is falling apart from my suspension upgrade but when I do see one the parts used are usually crap or there's no other maintenance done to sway bar end links and lower control arms on a 14 year old car.

I'm an old guy riding on KYB AGX's and H&R's for several years, I drive hard and push the car.

I also maintain the car so maybe that's why I don't have suspension issues.
i think it must be a mentality thing with lowered cars. that's exactly what my brother said too and all my other buddies. very interesting!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Coolboy55
Aftermarket parts are designed by qualified engineers as well (usually). But they are designed for certain applications. You can't just pick a random kit or cut your springs and expect quality and performance. That's why I phrased my comment in a very particular way: if you don't know what you are doing, you will end up with a crappy ride in the end.

Most design decisions for mass production vehicles are based on cost in large part - that's obvious. Of course it is possible to improve or upgrade a stock vehicle. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me on.
Cutting your springs is not something that I would consider a "design" or a something you put thought into, or a good idea.
You can probably pick a random suspension kit that actually fits your car and get it though, just read the reviews already on here.
There isn't many combinations that haven't been tested and put through the ringer on the org already.

I was only disagreeing that you have to put a lot of thought into it, it's already been done, search around the org.

And as far as the guy with slammed Honda, how does that apply here in this forum? Hardly anyone I know with a spring/strut combo has problems, and they also auto-x'ed. Granted, they're all using Eibach/Progress/HR and AGX/Tokico/Illumina, but I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting.
Almost everyone I know with a coil-over setup has problems.

you can blow stock struts, but they don't have lifetime warranties, yes, i've done it and then went agx
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by shook187
I like looking silly

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/shook187/HPIM0596.jpg[IMG]

Ohh...is that why you got those red/clears?

Also, this thread is retarded. Why hasn't this been locked yet?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 PM

maybe if we post random opinions about a setup that we haven't tried yet or "heard" about it will be locked.
oh wait. i found one;
THIS WHOLE THREAD

or this;
even if done "properly" or "right" with expensive equipments, it will eventually give you problems
if you buy ANYTHING it will eventually give your problems, Jesus.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by tarheel62592
I have been doing some research and have been thinking about lowering my car. What parts would i need to lower my car? I imagine I would need springs and shocks. Anything else? and how much this run me?
If you plan on keeping the car for a while, in the least, you should get new: springs (many choices, depending on stiffness/drop desired), spring wrap (rubber tubing + adhesive or tie wraps), struts (4-5 common options, kyb or tokico, adjustable or non), strut mounts (get OEM, not kyb), strut bearings (kyb are fine), boots/bumpstops (cut your own). Cost: depending on the components, usually 500-1000$.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Can i join the silly looking club?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cant beat eibach pro kit and kyb agx, even if you live where theres ****ty roads
Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
I liked "vote" so much.....wish you better luck next election homie..
I don't want to be accused of opening arguments , but when encountering idiot comments , I have to react......
I was never ever against good mods done to our cars , not those ricey and silly ones people see on their video games and rush to throw money and apply them to their cars,10+ years old FAMILY sedan cars......think of someone has a rusted to hell radiator support , or thinking 2 months whether to buy or not a 35$ KS ..or having a bright orange CEL in dash....... and LOVES to lower....too silly..lol......again that's my opinion...
And for the above noobie , who joined Sep 2009 (he seems to remind me of another memebr . concidence ? or dual memerbship..maybe) , I'm not 80,you can say I'm in the age of your father (if he's in his 30s) and I guess he is..another point , to drive 55 in 35 area and put other people lives in danger , you don't have to be young , all you have to have is being an irresponsible idiot
so go hijack other people threads , ask about changing spak plugs or bump 6 years old threads , better for you than requesting VOTES ..hahaha..
Ok. Please forgive me for getting personal. ok?

I'll just state the facts. Lowering a car has it's "uses". Just as leaving it alone has it's different "uses". It's all on preference. "Most" of the people that belong to a site dedicated to modifying vehicles prefer to lower than not. Just the way it is. The advantage outweighs the good for these people to lower their cars. I don't condone street racing nor do I participate. I drive at or 5-10 above the speed limit everywhere because that is usually the flow of traffic. If you drive slower than that, you will cause problems just the same if you are driving faster than that.

I don't agree with spending $1000s of dollars on a $500-$4000ish family sedan. But if you want to, more power to ya.
I end up spending about $500 or less on each car I have modified. Usually including nicer rims and tires. And all but a couple of times I have got my money back out of it or actually made money on them.

And finally, I've had a I30 for about 2 months now. Never had a 4th gen Nissan before that. Never been a member of this site. So you don't have to worry about me being some other member of the .org. I'm closer to your age than my father is, and I've spent more time and effort actually working on and modifying cars than most forum junkies have spent reading about it.

Thank you come again
Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by motox166
Ok. Please forgive me for getting personal. ok?

I'll just state the facts. Lowering a car has it's "uses". Just as leaving it alone has it's different "uses". It's all on preference. "Most" of the people that belong to a site dedicated to modifying vehicles prefer to lower than not. Just the way it is. The advantage outweighs the good for these people to lower their cars. I don't condone street racing nor do I participate. I drive at or 5-10 above the speed limit everywhere because that is usually the flow of traffic. If you drive slower than that, you will cause problems just the same if you are driving faster than that.

I don't agree with spending $1000s of dollars on a $500-$4000ish family sedan. But if you want to, more power to ya.
I end up spending about $500 or less on each car I have modified. Usually including nicer rims and tires. And all but a couple of times I have got my money back out of it or actually made money on them.

And finally, I've had a I30 for about 2 months now. Never had a 4th gen Nissan before that. Never been a member of this site. So you don't have to worry about me being some other member of the .org. I'm closer to your age than my father is, and I've spent more time and effort actually working on and modifying cars than most forum junkies have spent reading about it.

Thank you come again
Forgiven and welcomed ....I like people when they talk scientifically and politely...As I said erlier about the lowering thingy , IT'S MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE....each one can do what he/she likes....
Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mr.droppednfresh
cant beat eibach pro kit and kyb agx, even if you live where theres ****ty roads
yes u can, H&R on Konis.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM

As for lowered cars looking silly: LOL

I guess im Fcuked, im on eibachs&konis, mild lowering and i have coilovers on the way, guess im going to have tons of suspension problems even thou my suspension is better than 80% of the cars on this site.......
Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello since i cant seem to make my own thread i just revived this one so my question is

which one is better spring for a lowered but comfortable ride i am look at the h&r spring(1.5,1.3) and the H.Tech tein spring(1.6F,1.2R) they both claim to work for stock struts(for now)(kyb,tokico)

cant seem to choose any reviews on people that own them and your opinion on them which one would you choose

let me know willing to answer questions and more info you have thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Hello all, very interesting, informative and enlightening posts here, i'm a noob too like the other guy here and i drive a 98 max gxe (bone stock) and i am looking forward to my first upgrade. I did a lot of reading and just completed reading a 15 page thread here on diff springs + shocks/strut combos for diff type of ride requirements.
I am looking for the most comfortable ride possible with no real performance requirement, my max has 117,000 miles, like other guys in this thread i also feel that the stock height on our cars is too high, my rear bounces too much on the highway at certain parts where the road has elevated patches and bumps or on rough roads.

I had another 98 max that i had before and i changed the shocks to monroe sensa trac and they were excellent on rough roads and it made a HUGE diff in ride quality, they were superb at adapting to rapid changes in road conditions and i was very satisfied (that max is driven by my dad now and different from my car). My car is too floaty and there is too much gap between the wheel and body. So based on what info i have gleaned from this forum, I've narrowed down to Tein H-tech which offers a decent Front 1.6, Rear 1.2 drop with aggressive look paired with monroe sensa tracs for a comfy ride. I decided on sensa tracs instead of Kyb GR-2's because i read that the gr2's are 10% stiffer than stock and my stock shocks are not good at all on potholes, rough roads and rapid changes to road conditions, whereas the sensa tracs based on my previous experience are excellent in those aspects. Some or most of the people here may think that sensa tracs are soft but thats what i want and i'm expecting the ride to be very comfy when they work with the lightweight H-Techs which have more stroke due to their lightweight vanadium construction. (See, i read and did my homework)

What do u guys think??? Please weigh in, i'm really looking forward to your insight! and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by eddie982; 11-29-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Been thinkin about droppin my car for awhile cuz i want to take corners a lil easier...maybe even invest in a sway bar as well .

But in Boston there are too many potholes and i think its ridiculous seeing all the ppl in their dropped Hondas maneuvering around potholes like an obstacle course For that reason i dont want to drop mine.

I think it depends on the conditions of the roads where u live and how much crap u wanna put up wit
hahahahhah this is true. As I see this all day. My favorite is how they are slowing down and cutting their wheel all the way to the right or left when going over a speed bump. There are so many riced out civics here it is not even funny they are so incred ghay and the town I live next too is OBSESSED with hatches and slamming them to the ground. all ****.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
hahahahhah this is true. As I see this all day. My favorite is how they are slowing down and cutting their wheel all the way to the right or left when going over a speed bump. There are so many riced out civics here it is not even funny they are so incred ghay and the town I live next too is OBSESSED with hatches and slamming them to the ground. all ****.
I like one wheeling speed bumps, lets more ppl look @ your car... Also keeps my left leg strong/sharp, good clutch workout...
Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 PM

OH OH OH I wanna play the I look silly lowered game too...

Yeeeaaaahhhh I look silly!

This one below does look sooo much better! I need to sell my suspension for stock so that I too can look like I am getting ready to go mudding. Plus I am tired of having such reduced body roll, and overall good handling. I mean over/under steer is awesome!

No but seriously there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Yes engineers at Nissan do design the car in a specific way. That however does not mean that it cant be improved. A Maxima is the hieght it is just as can be expected for the times. The 07 Maximas are lower and it was done for handling reasons. To drive home the thought you dont see any 5 series sitting monster truck high from the factory, and the better the car in respect to handleing the lower it is, for Nissan fans consider the GTR!

I will admit that my car does ride a bit rough but I run D2 full body coilovers. I enjoy taking corners and love the assurance of a great handling car.

If your looking to have a car for handling then full body coils are ONE of the best options but its expensive. If your more in the search for improving the appearence of the car then save money and get H&R springs and Koni shocks. IMO is one of the best options and you get. Its great ride quality thats a bit stiffer than stock.

As for the negative ppl on the forum. Even if the question seems dumb and may go against your opinion there is no reason to abuse the member. If a noob cant turn to us for help then where else can he turn. Bashing them will only led to them not getting answers and then doing something dumb and in many cases lead them to add to the RICER population. (no one needs that).

He asked a question about lowering his car. Not for personal opinions on reasons not to. If you dont have a lot of experience lowering cars then maybe your opinion would best be left out. Help him achieve his goals or dont help, but dont hinder him with unmeritted opinions!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stretch21
No but seriously there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Yes engineers at Nissan do design the car in a specific way. That however does not mean that it cant be improved. A Maxima is the hieght it is just as can be expected for the times. The 07 Maximas are lower and it was done for handling reasons. To drive home the thought you dont see any 5 series sitting monster truck high from the factory, and the better the car in respect to handleing the lower it is, for Nissan fans consider the GTR!

I will admit that my car does ride a bit rough but I run D2 full body coilovers. I enjoy taking corners and love the assurance of a great handling car.

If your looking to have a car for handling then full body coils are ONE of the best options but its expensive. If your more in the search for improving the appearence of the car then save money and get H&R springs and Koni shocks. IMO is one of the best options and you get. Its great ride quality thats a bit stiffer than stock.

As for the negative ppl on the forum. Even if the question seems dumb and may go against your opinion there is no reason to abuse the member. If a noob cant turn to us for help then where else can he turn. Bashing them will only led to them not getting answers and then doing something dumb and in many cases lead them to add to the RICER population. (no one needs that).

He asked a question about lowering his car. Not for personal opinions on reasons not to. If you dont have a lot of experience lowering cars then maybe your opinion would best be left out. Help him achieve his goals or dont help, but dont hinder him with unmeritted opinions!
QFT

D2's how much those run ya $850? (Sooo thread jacking lol).
Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
I love this debate....lol

I agree that the maxi sits a lil high. I also agree that there is much float on corners. Everyday as i drive to work, there is this long downhill curve that i have to take and it FEELS like the car wants to swerve. Also, anytime i take a high speed turn my tires squeal. Dropping my car would help to mitigate some of this and also make the car look a little better ( a nicely dropped car always looks good).

That being sd...what has ppl bought that ppl KNOW works? If ima buy a setup, i wanna buy it once and have somethin that is gonna last. o and how much...1600 is alotta cash but gotta respect the dedication lol

Another question...wouldnt getting bigger rims and tires effectively do the same thing as lowering the car anyways???

no
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM

and i have a real quick idea: everyone who has a lowered max/i30 post a pic of the whip from the side along with the components of the setup and how much it is lowered... i want to do 1.5r and 1.7/.8f does anyone have a picture? how about 2 inches all around? ive seen so many pics but no one seems to say how low they go
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Nrw

Originally Posted by InfiniwhiptinitiII
and i have a real quick idea: everyone who has a lowered max/i30 post a pic of the whip from the side along with the components of the setup and how much it is lowered... i want to do 1.5r and 1.7/.8f does anyone have a picture? how about 2 inches all around? ive seen so many pics but no one seems to say how low they go
I'm on progress springs which are rated around 1.7/1.5 (f/r).

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_1567.jpg
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM

cant we all just.......................get along !
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
QFT

D2's how much those run ya $850? (Sooo thread jacking lol).

I ordered them with my friends shop account so I paid 725 shipped. But retail is like 850-900 I think. I've used Tein, KSport, and JIC. I perfer the JICs but its big bucks! D2s are my favorite for under $1000!