4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can someone show me where is the maxima power everybody is singing about ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
So exactly how do you get posts if you don't use the forums??? You can't originate a thread until you have 15 posts. How would you recommend he get them?
I don't think that's what he literally meant, he just had a granmmar failure there, you know camries n such....

Besides, his post was on topic for our off topic discussion about how well OUR maximas are performing, This thread really needs to get back on track and focus on why the OP's car isn't performing so well.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Because I Can

i stand corrected...i re read his post...i apologize
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Because I Can

holy crap we really did get super off topic...so to start to bring it back...DUDE GET A TUNE UP....take it to a trustable mechanic...and have him look it over...give u a list of things that need to be done...and bang them out 1 after another on ur time...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

back OT... what could I do to make my Max pass 130 again? wouldn't want a camry to pass me up on the highway... it seems limited by something. I think I'm just gonna get OBDII reading and see if there's anything there
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
back OT... what could I do to make my Max pass 130 again? wouldn't want a camry to pass me up on the highway... it seems limited by something. I think I'm just gonna get OBDII reading and see if there's anything there

Lol.

To the OP, this made an immediate improvement to my car

5W-30 Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Clean my SRI
Clean my TB
Clean my IACV
Clean my EGR
Clean my MAF
Pay some one @ Wally world to do some fuel injector cleaning (I'm lazy, shutup)

And when I get home I will be cleaning my iggy coils, I saw a thread here about it, my car still has trouble on starts, and well I'm running out of things to do.... but anywho, if you do the things I just mentioned you SHOULD notice a diff in your car's behavior, I know I did.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM

to the OP, i been there, done that.
basically, your car is an A/T and stock i'm assuming. the A/T is the biggest hold back IMO. even w/ big supporting mods its still going to be slow compared to today's modern cars, unless you go FI or VQ35 swap it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
And when I get home I will be cleaning my iggy coils, I saw a thread here about it, my car still has trouble on starts, and well I'm running out of things to do.... but anywho, if you do the things I just mentioned you SHOULD notice a diff in your car's behavior, I know I did.
change your starter switch yet man? helped mine our bunches. new starter, grounded, and new switch and im still cranking two times to start. sucks what happens to old cars.

thanks for reminding me about my iggy coils! i have tuesday off so now i have a quick afternoon project.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
change your starter switch yet man? helped mine our bunches. new starter, grounded, and new switch and im still cranking two times to start. sucks what happens to old cars.

thanks for reminding me about my iggy coils! i have tuesday off so now i have a quick afternoon project.
I'm starting cheap and working my way up.

This was the thread that caught my eye a while back... http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hins-fail.html
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 AM

yeah i saw that one awile ago and was living at my dads house atm, now i have my own dremel and forgot the biggest reason i bought it for!

cant get much cheaper than a starter switch! lol

pretty much the biggest improvement ive made to my car was my SRI/00vi.custom exhaust i felt less power gains than it, i dont know why.

oh and replacing my busted coil, i was spinning tires all day getting used to all 6 cylinders.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM

This is how i feel after reading this thread lol

Are you kidding bro...Everything is beating u off da line??? Where is the Maxi power??? Dude! I beat toyotas, Hondas, Fords, whateva cars, it dont matter. I even beat NEW cars off the line!

I understand that automatics can be lacking and thats prolly what the problem is. But to say where the power is??? Thats almost disrepecting the org. I own a 4th gen 5spd but i used to owna 3rg gen auto. If i gavethe 3rd gen full throttle the F**king car would JUMP forward. It used to scare my female passengers and impress all my boys. Thats what prompted me to get a 4th gen. Yo, da car has so much power, i can even burnout the tires switchin to 2nd gear.

Honestly man, the only car i have seen keep up with mine is 03 rsx and BMW. Truthfully, the only four cylinder engine that can keep up is the 2.5L in the altima.

Hell i used to beat camry's off the line when i had a 1997 cavalier and that was only 150HP 4 cyl. and my 4th gen is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY beastlier

Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

what car did you have before the maxima?
if you owned a 911, you're going to be disappointed
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Because I Can

Originally Posted by cashoit
This is how i feel after reading this thread lol

Are you kidding bro...Everything is beating u off da line??? Where is the Maxi power??? Dude! I beat toyotas, Hondas, Fords, whateva cars, it dont matter. I even beat NEW cars off the line!

I understand that automatics can be lacking and thats prolly what the problem is. But to say where the power is??? Thats almost disrepecting the org. I own a 4th gen 5spd but i used to owna 3rg gen auto. If i gavethe 3rd gen full throttle the F**king car would JUMP forward. It used to scare my female passengers and impress all my boys. Thats what prompted me to get a 4th gen. Yo, da car has so much power, i can even burnout the tires switchin to 2nd gear.

Honestly man, the only car i have seen keep up with mine is 03 rsx and BMW. Truthfully, the only four cylinder engine that can keep up is the 2.5L in the altima.

Hell i used to beat camry's off the line when i had a 1997 cavalier and that was only 150HP 4 cyl. and my 4th gen is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY beastlier

thats called "chirpin" second gear
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by showdown
2nd gear burnout is not the same thing as "chirpin second gear"
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Because I Can

i highly doubt with good tires you can burnout thru second...prove me wrong?...im not trying to be a DI@* im just curious....and u said switching to second...not burning through second
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

i highly doubt with good tires you can burnout thru second...prove me wrong?...im not trying to be a DI@* im just curious....and u said switching to second...not burning through second
i can guarantee you that I can burnout in second and chirp 3rd, i dont know about you

and he said "burnout the tires switchin to 2nd gear"
if you want to take the litteral meaning to that, there is no way you can lose traction while SWITCHING gears unless you lock up the brakes
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM

ive burned out in 2nd on accident(first time driving stick, i couldn't start off in 1st cause i kept stalling)...and chirped 3rd one day showing off a bit.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks...i didnt know what the correct term was

Originally Posted by bigleman
i can guarantee you that I can burnout in second and chirp 3rd, i dont know about you

and he said "burnout the tires switchin to 2nd gear"
if you want to take the litteral meaning to that, there is no way you can lose traction while SWITCHING gears unless you lock up the brakes

I would love to see that hehe

But my point was....the 4th gen is a beast. I had never had any other car that could chirp second gear...blew my mind (and my boys) when i did it for the first time.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM

wanna see a 95 and a 97 5spd chirpin' wheels at the same time? and no unfortunately it wasnt burning out through 2nd... just a chirp
Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Does anyone really think a 4cyl camry can ever beat a maxi, whether auto or 5spd?

Dude the engine has an output of 133 HP and weighs the same as the 4th gen

However, I wd love to bite into a v6 camry of the same year span as the 4th gen hehe. Very similar engine ratings. Althought the VQ30 is a much more reliabe engine.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun

Lol.

To the OP, this made an immediate improvement to my car

5W-30 Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Clean my SRI
Clean my TB
Clean my IACV
Clean my EGR
Clean my MAF
Pay some one @ Wally world to do some fuel injector cleaning (I'm lazy, shutup)
Introducing myself.....the OP
1 - I always put 5W-30 Castrol GTX every 2K even not 3K
2- Spark plugs were changed very shortly before I start using the car...although I don't know what type...I know I had to throw NGK in there
3- I myself cleaned TB , IACV with new gaskets...
4 - new fuel and air filter (Nissan both)
5 - I didn't clean EGR or MAF but may give them a shot
6 - I use seafoam in gas every now and then

anyway...
As today I was driving on the right side of the road in a 45MPH road ...the driver infront of me was driving slowly like he's not sure which right turn to take .. so I got bored , changed my lane to left , give it gas and the RPM were like in the 3 to 3.2K and the car only showing engine rev without such a nice leap ahead , I couldn't even pass another old lady who was driving 2002 or 2003 corolla as the red light was not far away ............somthing chit in here........
I might take some time to look what plugs I have and see,although I'm not so sure how the plugs can dramatically help it
Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
i has college

All this talk about the auto being the biggest limiting factor is making me happy can't wait for my 5spd.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Does anyone really think a 4cyl camry can ever beat a maxi, whether auto or 5spd?

Dude the engine has an output of 133 HP and weighs the same as the 4th gen

However, I wd love to bite into a v6 camry of the same year span as the 4th gen hehe. Very similar engine ratings. Althought the VQ30 is a much more reliabe engine.
two words, SLOW and unreliable...here's some pics to show you the slowness

Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Because I Can

HAAAAH THE MAXIMA WON THE SHOWDOWN...HEY THATS MY NAME

Originally Posted by EnervinE
All this talk about the auto being the biggest limiting factor is making me happy can't wait for my 5spd.

dude u wont b upset when u get the swap...definately worth it
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM

well that was a very interesting read, thank you.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM

well that was a very interesting read, thank you.
which part?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 PM

From driving all the cars we're comparing to here, I must say that yes, the Skittles are good in a straight line only, and yes, I gave one (stock, I don't dare try against a stage III SRT ) a run for his money until he hit boost in 3rd.
The two Camry's that have been in this household (94 & 96) cannot compare at all to a max except for being a Japanese Sedan. They have ABSOLUTELY NO torque, the body panels/doors seem very flimsy and are much skinnier. If I remember correctly, the 06 Altima 2.5S in the house only gets off its *** after 2.5-3K. My first car was a 3rd gen Max. VG with 217K. Had I known then what I know now about these cars, I would have kept it. But it had been sitting for about 4 months until I got my license and when I got it, just about everything on the motor went bad, Alty, PS Pump, T-belt was due, etc. and I had my fill. So I bought the 94 Camry. *MISTAKE* luckily/unfortunately I totalled that car 4 months after I got it. So, I was stuck with my sisters 96 Camry while I was in between cars and she was gone to college. Then found my 96 Max. Was a HUGE improvement over the Camry's. Power, torque, just wants to go on the highway. We all know it, thats why we're here. I was addicted and HAD to get a 5 spd. and it took me a little over a year to find the 97 and I haven;t looked back.
To the OP. Knowing what I know now about these cars, you do need to perform the suggested maintenance. Yes, the auto is a big pig, but you should still be able to pull nicely on most 4cyl Camry's, however, I can't say about the newer/newest ones. Don't get discouraged. These are some of the best cars on the road still compared to most 2010 model vehicles in my opinion.

NM91
Old 11-03-2009, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by NISSANMAXIMA91
From driving all the cars we're comparing to here, I must say that yes, the Skittles are good in a straight line only, and yes, I gave one (stock, I don't dare try against a stage III SRT ) a run for his money until he hit boost in 3rd.
The two Camry's that have been in this household (94 & 96) cannot compare at all to a max except for being a Japanese Sedan. They have ABSOLUTELY NO torque, the body panels/doors seem very flimsy and are much skinnier. If I remember correctly, the 06 Altima 2.5S in the house only gets off its *** after 2.5-3K. My first car was a 3rd gen Max. VG with 217K. Had I known then what I know now about these cars, I would have kept it. But it had been sitting for about 4 months until I got my license and when I got it, just about everything on the motor went bad, Alty, PS Pump, T-belt was due, etc. and I had my fill. So I bought the 94 Camry. *MISTAKE* luckily/unfortunately I totalled that car 4 months after I got it. So, I was stuck with my sisters 96 Camry while I was in between cars and she was gone to college. Then found my 96 Max. Was a HUGE improvement over the Camry's. Power, torque, just wants to go on the highway. We all know it, thats why we're here. I was addicted and HAD to get a 5 spd. and it took me a little over a year to find the 97 and I haven;t looked back.
To the OP. Knowing what I know now about these cars, you do need to perform the suggested maintenance. Yes, the auto is a big pig, but you should still be able to pull nicely on most 4cyl Camry's, however, I can't say about the newer/newest ones. Don't get discouraged. These are some of the best cars on the road still compared to most 2010 model vehicles in my opinion.

NM91
Actually I believe Camrys were not even assembled in japan lol... check the VIN and see if it starts with a "J" for japan, our 93 cramy starts with a "3" I believe..
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
dude i no the feelin, in the same boat, but i have to say even thou mine is only auto, for now, it still hauls a$$, i love my car as a auto, and just the thought of it as a stick makes me all giddy lol
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 AM

Found it,

also, show camry's some respect! those cars are like the american maxima engine power pretty much, it just fails everywhere else.
Ok, I just have to ask, what the hell happened to that 00vi?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by maxcima

anyway...
As today I was driving on the right side of the road in a 45MPH road ...the driver infront of me was driving slowly like he's not sure which right turn to take .. so I got bored , changed my lane to left , give it gas and the RPM were like in the 3 to 3.2K and the car only showing engine rev without such a nice leap ahead , I couldn't even pass another old lady who was driving 2002 or 2003 corolla as the red light was not far away ............somthing chit in here........
I might take some time to look what plugs I have and see,although I'm not so sure how the plugs can dramatically help it

Dude the car shd have downshiftted to second and freakin LEAPT forward. Something is definitely wrong.

Can other owners of AUTOs please chime in and verify what i jus said...

me having the 5spd..i wd have dopped from fitfth gear shifted to nuetral revved the engine to like 4000 rpm dropped to second and bit her ***!!! lol
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM

Dude the car shd have downshiftted to second and freakin LEAPT forward. Something is definitely wrong.

Can other owners of AUTOs please chime in and verify what i jus said...

me having the 5spd..i wd have dopped from fitfth gear shifted to nuetral revved the engine to like 4000 rpm dropped to second and bit her ***!!! lol

Cas is right. Assuming the car hasn't been messed with, and is still running with the original factory air / fuel /throttle settings in place, it should be very responsive pretty much on demand. In fact, I think one of the acceleration sweet spots for this car is entering the parkway anywhere between 40-50mph. For that matter, it rips starting anywhere from 0-20mph, or from 65-70mph., etc. It's a mint, stone stock, '97 SE, A/T with 153K mi. I run synth blend oil and NGK's. It's not nearly as quick or responsive as my G35x, but it's heavier and a lot older.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Long time reader, first post.

1. The only 2 things I have had take my max (97 5sp with intake delete) is my girls civic (01 EX intake and exhaust) and a Titan up hill.

2. I changed the starter for a guy once that had a 96 auto and he complained about it's power after riding in mine. After the fix I took his out and he rode. Said it had never picked up like that before.... so who knows.

(edit)
Ok... 3 things... I forgot about that stupid Buick Regal... s/c bastard...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by wittynamessuck

1. The only 2 things I have had take my max (97 5sp with intake delete) is my girls civic (01 EX intake and exhaust) and a Titan up hill.

2. I changed the starter for a guy once that had a 96 auto and he complained about it's power after riding in mine. After the fix I took his out and he rode. Said it had never picked up like that before.... so who knows.

(edit)
wtf was the point of that....
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM

power , starter ?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Ok, I just have to ask, what the hell happened to that 00vi?

Yeah im wondering to........

It looks kinda familar.....

Edit:

It doesnt look like my old one....
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 AM

(edit)

Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 AM

Actually I believe Camrys were not even assembled in japan lol... check the VIN and see if it starts with a "J" for japan, our 93 cramy starts with a "3" I believe..

I'll have to check. Good point. I figured they were made in Japan that early in the game, like the Maxima's were. But yet I don't really care as I stated above! Plus it's rings are starting to go so I have to check the gas and fill the oil once a week when it gets driven Yet another reason the Toyota Camry of this vintage is OVERRATED!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM

(edit)
I can see the Titan whoopin you up hill... but I can't see a CIVIC taking on you. The 3800 Supercharged might give you a good run but you should be able to take on it. I've line up next to GTPs and Park Ave Ultras... they're no match for the Maxima 5spd unless you're talking about ride smoothness
Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I can see the Titan whoopin you up hill... but I can't see a CIVIC taking on you. The 3800 Supercharged might give you a good run but you should be able to take on it. I've line up next to GTPs and Park Ave Ultras... they're no match for the Maxima 5spd unless you're talking about ride smoothness
yeah no

stock 4th gens don't stand a chance against a 3800 S/c'd

Quick Reply: Can someone show me where is the maxima power everybody is singing about ?