4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can someone show me where is the maxima power everybody is singing about ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Can someone show me where is the maxima power everybody is singing about ?

hey guys..although it's A/T with 164k on the car,bought 3 months ago..treated very well,93 octane gas,every 2K oil change,changed KS 2k before,no CEL or hidden codes...I can't find why some camries are taking me over when moving from stop lights.where is the power that when I hear people talking about here in .org I think for a moment they are talking about a Porche ?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Because I Can

its an automatic...nuff said
Old 10-31-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by maxcima
hey guys..although it's A/T with 164k on the car,bought 3 months ago..treated very well,93 octane gas,every 2K oil change,changed KS 2k before,no CEL or hidden codes...I can't find why some camries are taking me over when moving from stop lights.where is the power that when I hear people talking about here in .org I think for a moment they are talking about a Porche ?
Not sure what year Camry is beating you, but just for comparison purposes:

Your car: 190hp, 3000lb Curb weight
2010 6-cyl Camry 268hp 3263lb Curb weight

Any other questions?

(older generation Camry-2005-had 210 hp and weighed 3160, still enough to beat you)

Last edited by trooplewis; 10-31-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

i assume there are no mods on your max if you were to get the car breathing better i think it will wake up some of the hidden power (that we are all taking about )
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Not sure what year Camry is beating you, but just for comparison purposes:

Your car: 190hp, 3000lb Curb weight
2010 6-cyl Camry 268hp 3263lb Curb weight

Any other questions?

(older generation Camry-2005-had 210 hp and weighed 3160, still enough to beat you)
QFT, V6 camries are very maxima like... until you get into a corner...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Because I Can

i didnt know camrIES was teh plural of camry
Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxcima
where is the power that when I hear people talking about here in .org
what power... who ever says that these cars are fast is crazy..(in non boosted, engine swapped way)
Old 10-31-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by showdown
i didnt know camrIES was teh plural of camry
My bad lol, camrys.
Since when are you the grammar police anyways?

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
what power... who ever says that these cars are fast is crazy..(in non boosted, engine swapped way)
Meh, I've earned the respect of quite a few guys around here, the VQ30DE is nothing to sleep on, even in it's stock form.... Unless you're drivin an auto cali spec, then I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-31-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Because I Can

lol im just bustin ur ***** but i totally agree...the vq really is a beast...its not a suprise its been in the top 10 engines in all 10 years the award has been given...hopefully nissan dosent get rid of the vq....cept now theyre commin out with a turbo diesel in the 7th gen...im getting off topic as usual
Old 10-31-2009, 06:31 PM

Grandmas are light, so the camry has the advantage. Not to mention, a 96 camry xle came stock with a RSB.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
Grandmas are light, so the camry has the advantage. Not to mention, a 96 camry xle came stock with a RSB.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 PM

The current-gen V6 Camry is a real sleeper. I believe the 0-60 time is in the 6-6.5 second range. While the 4th Gen Maxima is quick, it can't compete with that in stock form (though a 5MT comes close).
Old 10-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Addicted to the Org

I have an auto with a CAI and y pipe and it runs beautiful
Old 10-31-2009, 11:24 PM

Found it,

also, show camry's some respect! those cars are like the american maxima engine power pretty much, it just fails everywhere else.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by EEMaxima
The current-gen V6 Camry is a real sleeper. I believe the 0-60 time is in the 6-6.5 second range. While the 4th Gen Maxima is quick, it can't compete with that in stock form (though a 5MT comes close).
Pfff thats not impressive for a car thats many years ahead of the 4th gen. Try driving one in the same year range as the 4th gens. Believe me, slow unreliable piles of ****, V6 AND 4cylinder. Its all ****in' reputation I ****in hate camrys with a passion, I used to love them too. We have a 93 5spd Camry in the household, not terribly slow but definitely not comparable to my 3rd or 4th gen Maxima. Yes my 3rd gen is automatic and it'll still leave the 5spd 4cyl camry behind

To the OP, have you tried ohming out your injectors or using injector cleaner?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I test drove the 2008 4 cyl se camry this week. It is slow. There is something wrong with your car. Check your plugs, check for ks ghost code, clean your throttle body and change your intake if it is a long tube cai. You can try seafoaming it too to see if that helps. I remember when I first test drove my car after coming to then leaving the first light I asked the salesman, "Where do I sign".
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 AM

i owned a pair of 85-86 camry liftbacks with a 2.2 in both. pretty quick for a 4 banger but not a maxima, thats foe sure, here's a pic of of the liftback. stereo in this thing kicked ***. ( i still put a 400 wat amp and infinity's front and sony zploders in the rear with a truck sub. did'nt have alot of room.)
Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 AM

im wondering the same thing i have a a 95 5mt maxima with 134k on the odo and so far every thing i have limed up with has beat me. that includes any honda on the road, a few GEOs, a ford explorer (wtf) and just about anything else with 4 wheels.

PS: anyone wanna buy a 95 maxima so i can get my V6 camaro?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Knob
im wondering the same thing i have a a 95 5mt maxima with 134k on the odo and so far every thing i have limed up with has beat me. that includes any honda on the road, a few GEOs, a ford explorer (wtf) and just about anything else with 4 wheels.

PS: anyone wanna buy a 95 maxima so i can get my V6 camaro?
you guys quit too easy, goddamn. my 95 blows past most cars on the road and i have 197,00 on the clock. did you do the y-pipe and exhaust switch?? plugs, fuel filter, 89 or higher octane?? injectors could be clogged, iavc, utc, egr tube cleanout?? just putting good gas in our cars is'nt going to keep it runnin perfect, maintenence...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM

shift_knob
i just beat a v6 camero the other week, these cars are beastly.

especially since the 95's were the quickest 4th gen correct? or was it the 96's...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Sounds like there's something wrong with your car. If it was running right you wouldnt even be questioning its performance. Do an OBD2 scan you may have a bad knock sensor, causing the timing to be pulled. Hows the tranny? Is it shifting when it should or hesitating between gears?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Because I Can

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
shift_knob
i just beat a v6 camero the other week, these cars are beastly.

especially since the 95's were the quickest 4th gen correct? or was it the 96's...
the 95s i belive were the quickest...ive beaten a couple 08 SI's one was a coupe and one was a 4dr...and my max is bone stock...something is wrong with your cars....not to mention...and this may be hard to believe...i beat my EX GIRLFRIENDS SRT-4 with cai and cat delete 3/3 times we raced...and believe me she can drive...and her car was mint...only 28k miles on it when she bought it and it was babied
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 AM

the 95s i belive were the quickest...ive beaten a couple 08 SI's one was a coupe and one was a 4dr...and my max is bone stock...something is wrong with your cars....not to mention...and this may be hard to believe...i beat my EX GIRLFRIENDS SRT-4 with cai and cat delete 3/3 times we raced...and believe me she can drive...and her car was mint...only 28k miles on it when she bought it and it was babied
No, there's driver or car failure somewhere there.. Skittles > Max in the straightline, Max > Skittles around cones.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-01-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Because I Can

but if you think about it...srt-4;s have more power but theyre pretty heavy..and theyre sloppy...skittles??
Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 AM

but if you think about it...srt-4;s have more power but theyre pretty heavy..and theyre sloppy...skittles??
SRT-4 = Skittles
Why? They're cute, little and come in many bright colors.

Dude, SRT-4's run high 13's stock, you'd need a 3.5 to mess w/ em, I've driven em, on boost they're something to be feared of, but I REALLY don't like the way that thing understeers, that thing doesn't take corners, it plows through em. Then again in hindsight it was probably me cause I was trying to have the turbo nice and spooled on the exits.

[edit]
We are so way off topic it's not even funny.... To the OP, do what maxgtr2000 said, have all those little things checked out, a nice tune-up can make a HELLUVA difference. And there's even nice write-ups for them on the .org, just incase you don't know how to do it.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-01-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Because I Can

lmao no u are very right...the had to make a 3pt turn into a 6pt turn...turning radius suuuucks on those things...and believe me...that thing is pretty fast...she used to lend me it for weeks at a time
Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 AM

any one know how to do cluster work as in swaping the needles and such?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
FAIL!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i owned a pair of 85-86 camry liftbacks with a 2.2 in both. pretty quick for a 4 banger but not a maxima, thats foe sure, here's a pic of of the liftback. stereo in this thing kicked ***. ( i still put a 400 wat amp and infinity's front and sony zploders in the rear with a truck sub. did'nt have alot of room.)
We've had a 1985 Camry 4 cyl, loved the lil car til it started burning oil at 136k, then my mom also had a 1991 camry 4cyl with 275k miles but If I were to race that thing on foot, I'd have to give it a block head-start and I'm not joking.

I can see the 08 SI civic but not the SRT-4, my buddy had one up until 2 years ago and believe me. There was driver error. Even in the corners stock for stock it'll own a 4th gen. I actually really liked the SRT4, caught me by surprise. He owned it from 15k to 90k miles and all he had to do was brakes and a PS pump, more reliable than our piece of **** camrys

Here's an example and I hope I dont get banned for it
My lil cousin just got a 2009 Cobalt SS (turbo) and he kept talking **** that its faster than a maxima and than a 350z and what not (he's a chevy guy) so we were at a party last night (that was my first time seeing his new SS), and apparently he wanted to put it to the test vs my max which has 321k miles lol... we were next to each other the WHOLE way on the highway until 130 which is where he started slowly pulling. Now I think I'm "electronically" limited there due to my CEL other wise I'm sure my Max would've gone 140 easily. *crosses fingers and hope not to get banned for this*
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Because I Can

Originally Posted by aackshun
FAIL!
lmfao i seruiously just laughed at that

now aackshun, play nice with the other .orgers
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Because I Can

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
We've had a 1985 Camry 4 cyl, loved the lil car til it started burning oil at 136k, then my mom also had a 1991 camry 4cyl with 275k miles but If I were to race that thing on foot, I'd have to give it a block head-start and I'm not joking.

I can see the 08 SI civic but not the SRT-4, my buddy had one up until 2 years ago and believe me. There was driver error. Even in the corners stock for stock it'll own a 4th gen. I actually really liked the SRT4, caught me by surprise. He owned it from 15k to 90k miles and all he had to do was brakes and a PS pump, more reliable than our piece of **** camrys

My lil cousin just got a 2009 Cobalt SS (turbo) and he kept talking **** that its faster than a maxima and than a 350z and what not (he's a chevy guy) so we were at a party last night (that was my first time seeing his new SS), and apparently he wanted to put it to the test vs my max which has 321k miles lol... we were next to each other the WHOLE way on the highway until 130 which is where he started slowly pulling. Now I think I'm "electronically" limited there due to my CEL other wise I'm sure my Max would've gone 140 easily. *crosses fingers and hope not to get banned for this*

damn i thought she drove pretty good...didnt miss a gear wasnt granny shifting...granted she would pull on me if we had kept going but gimmie some credit...i pulled on it thru 3rd....and give yourself summore credit...ur lucky ur still making 190 hp after 321k miles lol...its all about torque
Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Corners better than a 4th gen? I'd have to argue that one... Many Skittles owners hate their car's handling abilities.

Stock cobalt SS @ KCIR ran a 15.3 I ran a 15.4, those things aren't too pretty off the line, it wasn't my best launch and I still got my nose ahead of him, but this damn USIM w/ no top end he ended up gaining it back in the last 1/8th. The USIM and lack of power above 5k is why SS's, SI's and many other 4 bangers think they have a chance.
Even still, when I went back to the "track" here I learned what SI's can do w/ better drivers, they aren't upper 15 sec hondas like I've posted in other threads, they can keep up w/ me, the only SI that has really all out beaten me has I/H/E and reflash, and still that was only walking me because of VTAAAAKKKKKK, I can't wait till I get VIAS YO! and finally pull on them in the top end!!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Because I Can

this is making me wanna rig a camera in her car and run her thru the twisty near my house...5 mi stretch of twisty roads with short straights good for overtaking...hmmm maybe we should settle this...ill hit her up
Old 11-01-2009, 11:48 AM

lmfao i seruiously just laughed at that

now aackshun, play nice with the other .orgers
K...

Dear n00b, you don't even have to search for that one, look in the STICKIES!!!!

damn i thought she drove pretty good...didnt miss a gear wasnt granny shifting...granted she would pull on me if we had kept going but gimmie some credit...i pulled on it thru 3rd....and give yourself summore credit...ur lucky ur still making 190 hp after 321k miles lol...its all about torque
VQ30DE ftmfw, @ 168k mine still scares, WRX's, SI's, SS's, TSi's, GS-T's, V6 Camaro's, Mustangs to this day. You guys should hit me up on AIM, we can share some good stories.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:26 PM

Corners better than a 4th gen? I'd have to argue that one... Many Skittles owners hate their car's handling abilities.

Stock cobalt SS @ KCIR ran a 15.3 I ran a 15.4, those things aren't too pretty off the line, it wasn't my best launch and I still got my nose ahead of him, but this damn USIM w/ no top end he ended up gaining it back in the last 1/8th. The USIM and lack of power above 5k is why SS's, SI's and many other 4 bangers think they have a chance.
Even still, when I went back to the "track" here I learned what SI's can do w/ better drivers, they aren't upper 15 sec hondas like I've posted in other threads, they can keep up w/ me, the only SI that has really all out beaten me has I/H/E and reflash, and still that was only walking me because of VTAAAAKKKKKK, I can't wait till I get VIAS YO! and finally pull on them in the top end!!
Yea the SRT-4 does have its handling flaws and I've seen plenty of videos of SRT-4s nearly crashing or actually crashing due to crappy handling, I dont think the handling is bad rather the power is a little more than its suspension can handle if you ask me. BUT the 4th gens stock handles like ****, my 3rd gen handled better when it was stock!

The SS you're talking about, Supercharged or Turbo? My lil cousins is turbo.. and it made me yawn.. give me 00vi and my max WILL take him from take off AND from a roll even with 321k miles
Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Yea the SRT-4 does have its handling flaws and I've seen plenty of videos of SRT-4s nearly crashing or actually crashing due to crappy handling, I dont think the handling is bad rather the power is a little more than its suspension can handle if you ask me. BUT the 4th gens stock handles like ****, my 3rd gen handled better when it was stock!

The SS you're talking about, Supercharged or Turbo? My lil cousins is turbo.. and it made me yawn.. give me 00vi and my max WILL take him from take off AND from a roll even with 321k miles
Handling:
3rd Gen (this is just based off of comparing suspension diagrams, I can't wait till I get my grubby mits on a 3rd gen)> 4th Gen > Poo > Skittles.

Now when it comes to handling, I'm biased as hell cause I really like Maximas, and it's just hard for me to say, wow this car got me around the cones.

I said a stock SS beat me, of course it was turbo lol, the stock/mildly modded supercharged ones can only dream lol. Not to take away from the seriously modded SS"s, there's a supercharged SS here that can make it's beefier SS bretheren (TB and Camaro) scared.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-01-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Because I Can

K...

Dear n00b, you don't even have to search for that one, look in the STICKIES!!!!

VQ30DE ftmfw, @ 168k mine still scares, WRX's, SI's, SS's, TSi's, GS-T's, V6 Camaro's, Mustangs to this day. You guys should hit me up on AIM, we can share some good stories.
yeah i can keep up with wrx's as well...cept the 08+ wrxs...those FUXERS ARE FAST! but yea like u said si...and turbo eclipses dont evn stand a chance...raced one on a half mile overpass...had well over 6 cars...but HE was a sucky driver...altho i shoodnt talk about my friends like tht

that actually makes hella sense...i used to be able to turn the car easy...but once that turbo spools up...it only wants to go straight...that car torque steers like a mother! dodge could have worked on it better...but it was a rushed production and they were cutting costs...which is why the rear windows are manual
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM

Nobody ever said its a nascar but its is the 4dsc and for its time it was a nice fun to drive 4 door car. and its a great response when people pull up and say wow i didnt know those cars came in stick
Old 11-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Because I Can

tone if u do that again ur gunna get caught and banned...dont use the forums to get posts...im just teying to help
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM

tone if u do that again ur gunna get caught and banned...dont use the forums to get posts...im just teying to help
So exactly how do you get posts if you don't use the forums??? You can't originate a thread until you have 15 posts. How would you recommend he get them?

Quick Reply: Can someone show me where is the maxima power everybody is singing about ?