4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

has my tranny died?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 PM

has my tranny died?

today, i was driving along just fine and then stopped to let ppl cross the road (a good thing), then stepped on the gas and heard a noise. thought i had hit something, but then i realized my car wasnt going anywhere. i shut the car off, started it up again, put it in drive and it kept going back. i put it in park (heard noises again) and then it was towed. prob will find out tom whats wrong with it but was hoping i could get some feedback. whats the worst/best situation. the car is a 95 auto max with about 50,500 miles on it. its about 22 miles overdue for an oil change even thouhg that prob wont matter. thank you.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mmm, doesnt sound good. but it could be other things not just the tranny. could be a gear going from the tranny to wheels. (spider gears?)
Old 12-03-2001, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
mmm, doesnt sound good. but it could be other things not just the tranny. could be a gear going from the tranny to wheels. (spider gears?)
I don't know if this will help. I had a mitsubishi once that had a auto fwd. It stripped one of the splines on the drive axles. This ment I heard a grind while it was in gear and when I put it into park, it made a click, click, click for a while. It did this noise because the trans was actually spinning since 1 axle had no pressure on it and going to park was trying to stop it. Before it happened, it had no symptons of any sort it was going to give up. The car wasn't powerful or anythin to strip the spline,( jeez, it was a 1.8 deisel turbo), but it turns out that the axle itself had a pretty ineffcient clip that held it in place. when the clip failed, it caused the axle to move slightly out of the cvjoint to the point where there was simply not enough spline to drive the car without it stripping.

Anyway, let us know what it turns out to be.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:27 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

u know, when my tranny died on my old max that was the exact same scenario...
I had 86k miles on it though.. Stopped to let people cross, try to pull off, car isn't moving.. give it gas, hear all kinds of nasty noises... Then I lost my reverse, car kept dying on me..

However.. if the tranny did die, it is covered under Nissans 60k mile factory warranty on engine and tranny if I am not mistaken... Make sure u have no mods on that might cause the dealer to say something like "we can't repair your car under warranty because it was modified". that ****ing sucks if the tranny died so early.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:24 AM

Re: has my tranny died?

Originally posted by riggy
today, i was driving along just fine and then stopped to let ppl cross the road (a good thing), then stepped on the gas and heard a noise. thought i had hit something, but then i realized my car wasnt going anywhere. i shut the car off, started it up again, put it in drive and it kept going back. i put it in park (heard noises again) and then it was towed. prob will find out tom whats wrong with it but was hoping i could get some feedback. whats the worst/best situation. the car is a 95 auto max with about 50,500 miles on it. its about 22 miles overdue for an oil change even thouhg that prob wont matter. thank you.
hi i had a 91 max. when i blew my tranny its was the same except i was driveing and the tranny started to slip whouldn't shift. and it was just grinding a long. i think its a blown tranny. do you drive your max hard.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by NZ Max

I don't know if this will help. I had a mitsubishi once that had a auto fwd. It stripped one of the splines on the drive axles. This ment I heard a grind while it was in gear and when I put it into park, it made a click, click, click for a while. It did this noise because the trans was actually spinning since 1 axle had no pressure on it and going to park was trying to stop it. Before it happened, it had no symptons of any sort it was going to give up. The car wasn't powerful or anythin to strip the spline,( jeez, it was a 1.8 deisel turbo), but it turns out that the axle itself had a pretty ineffcient clip that held it in place. when the clip failed, it caused the axle to move slightly out of the cvjoint to the point where there was simply not enough spline to drive the car without it stripping.

Anyway, let us know what it turns out to be.
wow, this is why this site is so awesome. thanks for your help. guess what, a few months ago i had my driver side left axle replaced by a firestone near my house. the damn thing fell off. i am having it towed to a friestone near my school now, they should fix it for free. anway, im not sure if it fell off because they put in the wrong one because there are diff ones for cars with ABS and without. the dude asked me if i had abs, i said i wasnt sure. we both went in, he turned the car on said no abs light came on and i didnt have abs. or they could have just done a ****ty job. dont know, but i guess ill find out soon. thank God the tranny didnt die. that would be dissap. thanks again for your everyones help. anymore feedback would be apprec. later.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:54 PM

Ummmmm... The drive shaft can't really fall out.. it is wedged in.. Hopefully you mean the one on the passanger side.. Since it is longer it might slip to the out side.. non the less your bearing in your dif. is probably damaged.. you would notice it right away but it is a problem in your future..
Old 12-04-2001, 05:21 PM

My Tranny went too :(

Yep-I lost second gear on my 1995 Auto Max at around 110,000 miles.
An unfortunate problem for our '95 Max Autos.