4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ultimate Light Setups thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Black Lion

A shot when I had leds in the corner. Made by Kazoosho. I got rid of the led corners though.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Post a picture of your ZKW cutoff. I wanna see how much sharper it is compared to my ZKW Replicas. lol.
Once I get to aiming them perfectly, I'll post a pic. Its to dam cold out now lol
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Just the tip.

The worry I have is you can't close the lid on the actual bulbs (the stock lid). And the one that comes with the kit is too small. So basically, the back of my fog light is wide open. You guys have any ideas for that? Or just leave it? I figure water won't get into the fog light from the back cause by the time it gets done going into the car, it'll be too late to 'go back' (physically speaking - unless I'm going in reverse lol)
You mean the bulb's too long for the cover to go on?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
I extended my wires so they'd reach up to behind the headlights. First set got wet and ruined so I used the wires from that set, extended the wires, and plugged them into the new set.
Thats a good idea, when I get around to it I'll look into extending the wires If have to.

The worry I have is you can't close the lid on the actual bulbs (the stock lid). And the one that comes with the kit is too small. So basically, the back of my fog light is wide open. You guys have any ideas for that? Or just leave it? I figure water won't get into the fog light from the back cause by the time it gets done going into the car, it'll be too late to 'go back' (physically speaking - unless I'm going in reverse lol)
If you are talking about the plastic cap that threads on to the fog... what I did was drill a hole through the cap with a uni bit and passed the bulb and wires threw the hole. I then sealed the hole up with silicone. If you have to replace the bulb in the future the silicone is easy enough to scrape out of the way to replace it. Just make a nice neat hole and seal it up. Now if the bulb is hitting the cap (it shouldn't be) then maybe they are the wrong type of bulbs
Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
The Golden One

I'm talking about the black cap that threads into the fog, yes. Good idea about drilling the hole. I'll have to do that when it gets a bit warmer.

And Kzoosho is the guy doing my LED tails. I might have to have him do more...lol. Those lights look sick maxprivate.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Black Lion

I'm talking about the black cap that threads into the fog, yes. Good idea about drilling the hole. I'll have to do that when it gets a bit warmer.

And Kzoosho is the guy doing my LED tails. I might have to have him do more...lol. Those lights look sick maxprivate.
I also had Kzoosho make some front and rear led turn signals for me. I got my led boards from Kevlo. Kevlo's boards are made much better, but thats my opinion, do what you want.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
The Golden One

I think he had some stuff goin on. I've known him for a while. Stand up guy.

And I dunno, I never measure. They are the same right now as they are in the pic above.

As far as Kevlo...I'd go with him if he made them PnP. I don't understand the need for the big *** PWN switch or whatever that thing is called.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Black Lion

I think he had some stuff goin on. I've known him for a while. Stand up guy.

And I dunno, I never measure. They are the same right now as they are in the pic above.

As far as Kevlo...I'd go with him if he made them PnP. I don't understand the need for the big *** PWN switch or whatever that thing is called.
I think you are talking about the potentiometer; this allows you to adjust the brightness of the LEDS. Anyhow his boards are just made flawless. I was going to have Kzoosho do my led tails to but when I saw Kevlos boards I changed my mind and just had Kzoosho do the turn signals only.

Dont measure! lol... you did a good job aimng for not measuring anything. The guide for aiming is at hidplanet.com, with out a tape measure you can never aim using that guide. You have a good eye.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
The Golden One

Yes, it's the box that controls brightness. But Kzoosho is going to make them plug'n'play using the existing harness. Plus after already breaking one set of tails trying to swap faces (I got a set of LED tails from cdg2125 that were smoked and I wanted them in my non-smoked lights), I don't want to touch tails again. Kevlo won't put them into lights for anyone. He makes a good product, but I wish he was a little more 'individual customer orientated'.

Either way, both guys do good work.

So my aiming is fine? It looks fine...it's about even if you pull up to a wall:

Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Black Lion

oh as for the plug and play deal... you can just use wire taps; no cutting of the factory wires to splice wires in. However, you would still need to know which wires are which; reverse, and break etc. Not a big deal though.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
The Golden One

I'm not touching the lights lol. Kevlo won't install them for me, so I have no other choice. Anyway, no need to fill this thread up with junk.

Yeah, I'm curious to see your cutoff with real ZKW's. Post up when you can. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Black Lion

I'm not touching the lights lol. Kevlo won't install them for me, so I have no other choice. Anyway, no need to fill this thread up with junk.

Yeah, I'm curious to see your cutoff with real ZKW's. Post up when you can. Thanks.
I hear ya on not wanting to touch the tails. I had my share of screwing them up. I did one of the original clear lens mods before clear tails were even available. I melted a pair in the oven lol. Anyhow, yeah I'm gona delete the unnecessary posts including this one. I'll post those cut offs pics soon.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 AM

No sir. Just regular Walmart amber bulbs. I have Euroclear Lights, so they make them look bright and great.
I've been looking for those Euro Clear lights forever. Do u mind sharing where u got them? This would finally end my search.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:53 AM

If you guys are worried about the ballast gettiing wet, a solution is to buy from ddm Tunning. The ballast I got from them with a hid kit are sealed 110%. I took one apart just to see.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 AM

most kit ballasts are completely waterproof.

OEM ballasts range from "Wicked Witch of the West" waterproof to 95% waterproof.

The Matsu****a ballasts used by Nissan, for instance, are waterproof except for the silver connector at the top, which can easily be sealed with silicone. That's because they're designed to be mounted with one half in the sealed headlight housing, and one half outside of it.

Many OEM ballasts are designed to be mounted fully inside the headlight housing, and have no waterproofing (Although it's definitely possible to add waterproofing by "potting" them with an epoxy or glue)

DDM is one of the better companies to buy a HID kit off of.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by nalc
DDM is one of the better companies to buy a HID kit off of.
But they are also one of the slowest shippers. I got one kit from them that took 7 days. I got another that took almost 3 weeks. I dunno where the issue is...stock or their responce to orders. Either way, I went with EBay for my last HID kit that I bought (H3C).

Originally Posted by C-ko
I've been looking for those Euro Clear lights forever. Do u mind sharing where u got them? This would finally end my search.
They are your generic EBay corners...lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 AM

But they are also one of the slowest shippers. I got one kit from them that took 7 days. I got another that took almost 3 .
Never happened to me. 5+plus counting kits ordered and arrived within 3-5 days.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Black Lion

The crappy Helio kit I had was definitely not water proof. IIyak, I contacted that ebay seller you purchased from. He said the length of the wires are only 30cm. So I would have to mount the ballast near the fog light = no good. I need a kit that has a good 3' of wire to mount the ballast in the engine bay.

Unless they won't get damaged if they get wet. The auction does state they are water proof but I don't know.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 AM
The Golden One

Mine reached behind my headlights. Not sure what to tell you. lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Thanks, Just be careful... I sent out one side of my R34 Valence piece back to Kazoosho because one row of leds went out. He never sent it back to me, I even made a thread about it. Im not sure what happened to him at the time. I wound up buying a second set of r34's because I needed the Valence piece to finish my retro and had no spare set of headlights. Make sure you get his number and talk to him.

BTW How far apart are your steps on your cutoff spaced apart? Is it the same distance as the projectors center to center on the car?
KZoo did have some stuff going on at the time. He's a good guy though. Did you ever get a hold of him?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Black Lion

Mine reached behind my headlights. Not sure what to tell you. lol.
Really? Your kit was 30 cm in length of wire? Thats less than 1'.How did the ballast reach headlight with that short length? Or was your set of wires longer?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Eyce
KZoo did have some stuff going on at the time. He's a good guy though. Did you ever get a hold of him?
Unfortunately no, I had to buy a new set of headlights for that one dam piece I never got back.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM
The Golden One

Really? Your kit was 30 cm in length of wire? Thats less than 1'.How did the ballast reach headlight with that short length? Or was your set of wires longer?
It's definitely longer than an inch. I'm saying I think the seller just told you some arbitrary figure. Mine worked out great.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Black Lion

It's definitely longer than an inch. I'm saying I think the seller just told you some arbitrary figure. Mine worked out great.
Its one foot not one inch lol. I got ya though. So where exactly did you mount your fogs ballast on each side?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
The Golden One

Foot, yes. lol. I'm drugged up on meds (bad bad cold).

Passenger side is lodged between washer fluid bottle and coolant reservoir.

Driver side is lodged between battery and fuse box.

Neither move or shake/vibrate. Both have a LITTLE bit more slack in the wire.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Black Lion

Foot, yes. lol. I'm drugged up on meds (bad bad cold).

Passenger side is lodged between washer fluid bottle and coolant reservoir.

Driver side is lodged between battery and fuse box.

Neither move or shake/vibrate. Both have a LITTLE bit more slack in the wire.
The wires on the ballast has to be more than a foot then. Other wise they would never make it from the fog light up to where you mounted them. I gonna give these a shot when it gets warmer out and see.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Wow those projectors look great
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
The Golden One

The wires on the ballast has to be more than a foot then. Other wise they would never make it from the fog light up to where you mounted them. I gonna give these a shot when it gets warmer out and see.
I'll have to get a pic for you of where they are sitting one of these days.

I'm going to PA tomorrow so maybe sometime next week.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 PM

I LOVE THIS THREAD!! Haha. I have like $1,500 invested just into my lights. And soon, LED tails will be added to the setup.

Headlights:
  • OEM Glass Lense Headlights
  • Acura TL Bi-Xenon Projectors
  • E36 Shrouds
  • ZKW Replica Lense
  • DDM Tuning 55W 6000k Digital HID Kit
  • TheRetrofitSource.com Bi-Xenon Harness
  • Made by gtr_rider (highly recommended)
Hey...the lights looks sick....just a correction, the "e36 shrouds" I am assuming you are describing the chrome around the project itself......but yours are DEF NOT e36, they are e46 which is a 2002-05 3-series low beam projector shrouds, may also be found on some e46s going back to 2000.

Just thought it would help anyone else looking to do a similar mod.

Just my 02 cents (bimmer nut here)

Last edited by michaele30; 02-19-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by michaele30
Hey...the lights looks sick....just a correction, the "e36 shrouds" I am assuming you are describing the chrome around the project itself......but yours are DEF NOT e36, they are e46 which is a 2002-05 3-series low beam projector shrouds, may also be found on some e46s going back to 2000.

Just thought it would help anyone else looking to do a similar mod.

Just my 02 cents (bimmer nut here)
If we are going to get technical, those headlights are not OEM. None of the 4ths gens ever had an OEM clear glass lens. I think those were made by like Custom Maxima or Custom Enterprise or one of those aftermarket companies.

You can also tell by the lack of horizontal ridges, and the curves in the bottom inner corner.

However, those headlights are better than OEM. Probably the best candidate available for a bi-xenon retrofit. I like my R34s, but I have a quad setup.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 AM

I sourced the parts and got maxgtr to make these for me, currently not on the car as i had to do some work on them but this was the test trial :P

Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by nalc
If we are going to get technical, those headlights are not OEM. None of the 4ths gens ever had an OEM clear glass lens. I think those were made by like Custom Maxima or Custom Enterprise or one of those aftermarket companies.

You can also tell by the lack of horizontal ridges, and the curves in the bottom inner corner.

However, those headlights are better than OEM. Probably the best candidate available for a bi-xenon retrofit. I like my R34s, but I have a quad setup.
Yup, the glass headlights were made from Custom Enterprise. I had a pair and they are better than OEM.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by xorox
I sourced the parts and got maxgtr to make these for me, currently not on the car as i had to do some work on them but this was the test trial :P
Looks good. What projectors?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Black Lion

Never been a fan of halo's on a max but they look good. What do your have your second set of projectors doing? DRL ? etc.

Last edited by maxprivate; 02-20-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 PM

one setup is for highbeam and they are valeo projectors one bixenon and i belive other one is h7. I actualyl was not planning to show these pictures till this summer when i get the car painted, im actually going iwth the different set of corners aswell yea i originally wasnt a big fan of the halos as i didnt want it to look ricey lol but i figured as long as they are white ccfl it should look pretty well and nothing tioo much and i have they set as DRL.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by xorox
one setup is for highbeam and they are valeo projectors one bixenon and i belive other one is h7. I actualyl was not planning to show these pictures till this summer when i get the car painted, im actually going iwth the different set of corners aswell yea i originally wasnt a big fan of the halos as i didnt want it to look ricey lol but i figured as long as they are white ccfl it should look pretty well and nothing tioo much and i have they set as DRL.
They look good though, do you have your drl wired off of the ignition wire? I have mine that way and also added a switch so I can turn them off if I want, just an idea if you have them a different way. What your idea for a different corner? Thats the only thing Im not crazy about with the R34's... having the corner clear where you can see the bulb. I wish they had some type of reflector in the corner portion of the headlight like the Cefiro headlights.

Last edited by maxprivate; 02-20-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Boosted Panda

Ive posted these before,
TSX with Bosch Minis

Some Cefiroes I did for Maxxkid a while back,

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Boosted Panda

Yup, the glass headlights were made from Custom Enterprise. I had a pair and they are better than OEM.
CE didnt make them, just the first to introduce them. A week later they were all over Ebay for around 110.00 shipped. I bought two sets back then.
They can still be found on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
CE didnt make them, just the first to introduce them. A week later they were all over Ebay for around 110.00 shipped. I bought two sets back then.
They can still be found on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Not made by them literally, but yeah they were the first company I know of to have them.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Boosted Panda

Not made by them literally, but yeah they were the first company I know of to have them.
I hear ya, I was just stating that. For a while many claimed the CE had them specially made for them, which was BS. They were being imported by them as well as many other companies.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Light Setups thread