4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible to hit 200 whp w/o 00VI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Well after searching around and keeping with the OP(i.e. no VI) it seems that it can definitely be done. Looks to me like the bang for the buck comes from a good tune. Looks like an Emanage is cheaper than a good header so that might be the answer for a good beginning but I was always told to get your bolt on mods and cams in before going on to the tune so that you can maximize the potential of the tune....does this make sense to the assembled masses??

Also after searching through the various forums and countless threads concerning everything to do with N/A power without the VI the "claimed" numbers are wicked high. On the low end HP numbers that Ive seen and put together its 68 and on the high end its 138?? Thats alot of power and I know that dosent always make it to the ground but with numbers like that it seems kinda crazy.

Of course I havent dug deep to find out what a good port and polish,head decking or valve job will do nor I have I looked into cylinder boring or for those who arent going boost at all what a higher compression ratio will do.

Im new to Nissan but it seems that there are countless ways to build power and to build a fantastic motor and,finding the right shop or doing it yourself, do it on a decent budget.The 12sec Maxima can be had at a decent price and if you when boost...wow! There is alot of info in this forum and searching has got me all kinds of jazzed...lol. nothing worse than an old guy dancing around his computer over a car forum
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Jambi
Well after searching around and keeping with the OP(i.e. no VI) it seems that it can definitely be done. Looks to me like the bang for the buck comes from a good tune. Looks like an Emanage is cheaper than a good header so that might be the answer for a good beginning but I was always told to get your bolt on mods and cams in before going on to the tune so that you can maximize the potential of the tune....does this make sense to the assembled masses??

Also after searching through the various forums and countless threads concerning everything to do with N/A power without the VI the "claimed" numbers are wicked high. On the low end HP numbers that Ive seen and put together its 68 and on the high end its 138?? Thats alot of power and I know that dosent always make it to the ground but with numbers like that it seems kinda crazy.

Of course I havent dug deep to find out what a good port and polish,head decking or valve job will do nor I have I looked into cylinder boring or for those who arent going boost at all what a higher compression ratio will do.

Im new to Nissan but it seems that there are countless ways to build power and to build a fantastic motor and,finding the right shop or doing it yourself, do it on a decent budget.The 12sec Maxima can be had at a decent price and if you when boost...wow! There is alot of info in this forum and searching has got me all kinds of jazzed...lol. nothing worse than an old guy dancing around his computer over a car forum
those huge gains are at redline. they are not peak hp gains. without VI of any sort, 4th gens typically make peak HP around 5400rpm(ish) and then it falls off steadily towards redline (6600) and continues to fall even further if you have an extended redline (typically 7000 or 7200).

a typical bolt on 4th gen might make say 180whp at 5400rpm and then only be making 130hp at redline because of how the stock intake manifold is designed. you add an 00vi to that same car and you might now make 200whp at 6500rpm. The peak number (i.e. the highest HP number anywhere on the graph) has only gone up 20whp, but the difference between the new power curve and the old power curve could be on the order of 60-70hp at redline, because the original manifold had a power curve that dropped off so badly towards redline. with an extended rev limiter, this could be even more pronounced, and with boost, even more pronounced still. 140whp at redline isn't out of the realm of possibility with a moderately boosted maxima comparing USIM power curve to 00vi or MEVI power curve, using redline number.