4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trunk keeps popping open

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 AM

Trunk keeps popping open

I tried a search but came up with nothing.

My problem is that the trunk won't stay closed! It's as if someone is constantly pressing the trunk release button; I close the trunk and two seconds later it pops open again. I thought it was the remote, but when I took the remote battery out, the problem persisted. I've had to take out fuse 15 to make sure it doesn't do it any longer, but it's really annoying! Does anyone have any ideas?

If it helps at all, I've been having problems with my remote too. I have to keep the buttons on my remote depressed for several seconds before the trunk pops open (IF it pops open!). I've recently replaced my battery so it's not due to a weak battery.

I'm stuck ... anyone else have any ideas on how to fix my car?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 AM

the remote if fine. you have to hold it for like a sec. might the the door button. try unplugging that
Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM

96i30azn,
The remote might be fine. It can literally take 15-20 seconds of pressing and holding the button before anything happens. It's either the remote or the module receiving the remote's signals and I can't isolate it because I don't have another remote with which to test signal receiver.

I've not had the time yet to take off the door card and see the trunk button but will do so sometime this afternoon if I can afford the time.

Does anyone have any other ideas aside from a bad trunk button? The button presses just fine and doesn't feel any differeny from normal.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 PM

hmm

have you checked your switch on your door to be sure nothing is grounding itself out? or check the wires in the trunk to be sure nothing is grounding itself?

or go to that little brat, the next door neighbor thats been doing some stuff wicked in his bedroom to just annoy the crap out of you.

and last thing i could think of is... maybe your trunk latch is messed up?

check those and see who or what could be the problem.

(EDIT)... when you get a chance to open your door, just be sure to check above said wires..
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM

So it seems all is kinda well now. I spent some time over the weekend and unplugged the body control module and plugged it back in. That seemed to address the issue of my remote not working well. It's not perfect, but my car responds to remote signals a lot better now. I'm not really sure how unplugging then plugging helped, but it seems to have done something.

As for the trunk issue, I popped off the door card to disconnect the trunk release button. FYI, on my 1996 maxima, the trunk release button can't be removed (I learned the hardway and actually broke it off ... luckily, it didn't change anything cosmetically and it still stays well planted in the door card). I inspected the connectors and couldn't see anything that immediately pointed out an issue. I concluded that there may be something that I couldn't see under the insulation or something, so I twisted the wire 360 degrees and plugged it back in. Now, no more phantom trunk issues. I did inspect the solenoid that unlocks the trunk and the wires attached to it ... again, nothing that seemed to be an issue.

I'll update if anything further happens (I really hope nothing further happens). Thanks everyone for your contributions!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM

If you unplug and re-plug a connector and it makes a difference, the connector contacts may have been getting tarnished. Tarnish is an insulator and makes for a bad connection. If you have the time, I would suggest that you unplug and re-plug the body control connector another several times to "wipe" the contacts a little more.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you unplug and re-plug a connector and it makes a difference, the connector contacts may have been getting tarnished. Tarnish is an insulator and makes for a bad connection. If you have the time, I would suggest that you unplug and re-plug the body control connector another several times to "wipe" the contacts a little more.
Dennis,

Great idea. I will try it out once I get a chance