4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Loud Whining Noise from Engine and Idle Off...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 06:14 PM

Loud Whining Noise from Engine and Idle Off...

I have no clue what the problem could be, it started when I sat at idle for about 3-4 min, then went to leave again, and noticed that there was a loud whining noise on top of the engine noise. The noise gets higher as my rpm's get higher, and it is not my transmission because it makes the noise when the car is in neurtal. Along with the problem, I am noticing that my idle stays now at 850 rpm's instead of just over 500 rpm's where it usually is. Anyone have any clue what's wrong..????

Mods: JWT intake, Y-pipe, underdrive pulley. Sound is coming from engine too, I lifted the hood to make sure...
Old 12-08-2001, 06:49 PM

Re: Loud Whining Noise from Engine and Idle Off...

Originally posted by BlackMaxAaron
I have no clue what the problem could be, it started when I sat at idle for about 3-4 min, then went to leave again, and noticed that there was a loud whining noise on top of the engine noise. The noise gets higher as my rpm's get higher, and it is not my transmission because it makes the noise when the car is in neurtal. Along with the problem, I am noticing that my idle stays now at 850 rpm's instead of just over 500 rpm's where it usually is. Anyone have any clue what's wrong..????

Mods: JWT intake, Y-pipe, underdrive pulley. Sound is coming from engine too, I lifted the hood to make sure...
Maybe its your alternator. I'm having problems with my car right now and I suspect the culprit is the alternator. My car whines when it starts up and whines when I drive. It makes this high pitch noise. When my problem first started my engine made a weird noise and then the engine reved up on its own. Ever since then I've had that whinning noise. I've been meaning to schedule some time with an auto shop to have them look at it, but haven't made time. Your problem could be the alternator. Listen carefully under the hood and see if the noise is actually coming from your alternator.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Loud Whining Noise from Engine and Idle Off...

Originally posted by Larcenist

Maybe its your alternator. I'm having problems with my car right now and I suspect the culprit is the alternator. My car whines when it starts up and whines when I drive. It makes this high pitch noise. When my problem first started my engine made a weird noise and then the engine reved up on its own. Ever since then I've had that whinning noise. I've been meaning to schedule some time with an auto shop to have them look at it, but haven't made time. Your problem could be the alternator. Listen carefully under the hood and see if the noise is actually coming from your alternator.
Now that you say that, I think that may be a possibility.. because if the alternator is having some trouble giving power to the electrical of the car, it would rev your rpm's higher to get more power to the alternator, wouldn't it..? Anyway, thanks for the insight. I'm definitely going to have someone look at it. The car still drives just fine, just that noise I don't like.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:18 AM

my noise was coming from the tension pully what i did was took it off clean it with wd-40 then grease it but if the bearing is broken then you should buy one just try to pin point the sound and use your judgement
Old 12-09-2001, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by asianpr3082
my noise was coming from the tension pully what i did was took it off clean it with wd-40 then grease it but if the bearing is broken then you should buy one just try to pin point the sound and use your judgement
thats my guess too. my friend had that squeeling noise in his intrepid but it goes away after its warmed up.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:19 PM

Came back and went away...

Well I drove it again last night, and when I started it, I could hear it, but then about 5-10 min. later it was gone, and my idle was back to normal. Then about 20 min. later, it was back slightly with the idle being higher, and then about 5 min. later it was gone for the rest of the night. What could this mean...????
Old 12-09-2001, 04:53 PM

Re: Came back and went away...

Originally posted by BlackMaxAaron
Well I drove it again last night, and when I started it, I could hear it, but then about 5-10 min. later it was gone, and my idle was back to normal. Then about 20 min. later, it was back slightly with the idle being higher, and then about 5 min. later it was gone for the rest of the night. What could this mean...????

If your alternator was making odd whining noises, it's gone bad already. I remember when my car was making those noises, I was driving it to the dealer and the noise dissapeared! So I drove home, thinking all was well. Well later that night, I drove out again, no whining at all, then five minutes later, the whining came back and the alternator died.

So, get your car checked out immediately. Don't get stranded like I did!