4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Emission with supercharger,blocked off egr,600cc is it possible to pass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Emission with supercharger,blocked off egr,600cc is it possible to pass?

Hey all,

So my Maxima is Supercharged with a z32 MAF, 600cc injectors, Y-pipe (pre cats removed, budget y-pipe), main Cat punched out, and 00VI. Now I know ill need a cat in there for the emission test, but if I tune it right would it pass with my mods? Im in Ontario Canada, they use a sniffer and I beleive they don't check for engine lights/codes. They just run the car at idle and at 40km on the dyno.

Would it pass? or fall to its knees? Things I could do?

Does the EGR really help in the emissions?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM

You will never pass man! Use my car so I can get that $50 back :P
Old 04-22-2010, 02:48 AM

Egr helps bring the NOx levels way down by lowering the combustion temps down. With the pre-cats removed, you will have to give the main cats time to heat up. All the pre-cats do is function as the main cat until it heats up.

The supercharger is smog legal here in California for maximas and i30s years 96-98 so I don't see why a properly tuned system shouldn't pass the sniffer.

Anyone, correct me if I am wrong about anything.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 AM

Tuned supercharger should be able to pass. Blocked EGR tho...idk man. I know u def need the cat. Dont really know why u wd take that off knowing u hafta pass emissions the following year. FOr that reason, see my sig.

Flava, Wiz, i know have supercharger. PM them, see what they say good luck
Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 AM

The car was in an accident just before winter, so it was a winter project. I have the egr just blocked off so all I have to do is unscrew it and put the egr plate on the 00vi. Like if that's the only thing thats holding me back aside from a good tune with the SC then I'll work backwards. Shouldn't take to long to do. On a side not yah I should have done the etest before hand but I was told not to worry...well that didnt work out.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM

So correct me if i'm wrong, the egr was ment to lower combustion temperatures? Also running a car lean is better for fuel milage at cruise but creates more smog?

So say I run the car a tad richer which would reproduce what an egr would do? Now i can't run it to rich as ill create more CO? but a lean mixtures is less NOx?

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, damn me

Any input?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Sorry for not being of any help but have you tried asking for help from the boosted forum?

And I know cali is stricter than tx, but I know of a few 600whp+ turbo cars passing the emissions sniffer here, just they fail the visual inspection (no cats).
Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Go with a fresh oil change and good plugs, make sure you drive the car for a bit. Definitely do the test with a catalytic.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by cashoit
Tuned supercharger should be able to pass. Blocked EGR tho...idk man. I know u def need the cat. Dont really know why u wd take that off knowing u hafta pass emissions the following year. FOr that reason, see my sig.

Flava, Wiz, i know have supercharger. PM them, see what they say good luck
Our state inspections isnt as strict, they just check for codes. I ve never had anyone use a sniffer or check underneath for cats.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

A lil off subject.....

I recently PM'd JHolley, a fellow member, about his y-pipe install. He lives in MASS and was doin research about the laws. He sd he called up Warpspeed about MASS inspections. Warpspeed told him that 2 ppl in MASS have already complained they didnt pass the visual inspection cuz of the y-pipe and failed. Holley sd he gave up tryin to get the y-pipe. I gave up too.

Yo man, MASS too strict. The last time i did inspection, they jack my car up lookin underneath, testing brakes, hooking up the OBD scanner and everythin. I was like, damn!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Nooby
So correct me if i'm wrong, the egr was ment to lower combustion temperatures? Also running a car lean is better for fuel milage at cruise but creates more smog?

So say I run the car a tad richer which would reproduce what an egr would do? Now i can't run it to rich as ill create more CO? but a lean mixtures is less NOx?

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, damn me

Any input?
You can't get the emissions benefit of an EGR with just A/F tuning. You need your A/F ratio to be correct as well, but you'll need cats and EGR will help to pass pretty much any emissions test. (EDIT: Probably.)

Last edited by VQ30MPG; 04-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Ill throw in my spare cat, and next week ill give her a go with a proper tune. Maybe if I fail ill do a second go the same day with a different tune. Just to see what effect it has on it. Guess ill wait and see.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Nooby

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, damn me

Any input?
Sorry for the late post but leaner is cleaner but too lean will increase your combustion temps and increase your NOx levels, running too rich will increase your Hydrocarbons (HC).
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 PM

I passed with a Plugged cat, no o2 sensor, leaking exhuast, and my check engine light on. Go to the Canadian tire on Merivale dude I swear they're machine is broken. Its only 37.50 to try
Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 AM

Best I could do with tuning was around 1100 for NOx's (limit 435), running 14.2 A/F. Passed idle test lol...Need to introduce the EGR back in and it will pass easy.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A lil off subject.....

I recently PM'd JHolley, a fellow member, about his y-pipe install. He lives in MASS and was doin research about the laws. He sd he called up Warpspeed about MASS inspections. Warpspeed told him that 2 ppl in MASS have already complained they didnt pass the visual inspection cuz of the y-pipe and failed. Holley sd he gave up tryin to get the y-pipe. I gave up too.

Yo man, MASS too strict. The last time i did inspection, they jack my car up lookin underneath, testing brakes, hooking up the OBD scanner and everythin. I was like, damn!
I brought my '95 in with a V1 on it and had no problems, the guy pulled it into the inspection bay & everything & didn't even ask or say anything about it. I've also brought countless cars with Y-pipes on them no problem. Never had anyone do a visual for the pre-cats, just check front end is about as far as they go.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I brought my '95 in with a V1 on it and had no problems, the guy pulled it into the inspection bay & everything & didn't even ask or say anything about it. I've also brought countless cars with Y-pipes on them no problem. Never had anyone do a visual for the pre-cats, just check front end is about as far as they go.

It all depends on where u take it. I finally found a good ole boy in my area. so now im comtemplating the y-pipe again .

The prob is, the LAW is too strict. If u read into it, u not even supposed to have any exhaust mods. It all depends on how strict the shop is. I know a guy who got 5% tint and he knows a shop and always passes inspection. I also know shops who wont pass anything under 35%. It sucks that i have to find a good ole boy shop, but when u do then its all good.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:17 PM

The prob is, the LAW is too strict. If u read into it, u not even supposed to have any exhaust mods.
Technically, here in MA you are 100% correct regarding exhaust system mods. In reality, however, if you have a good relationship with your inspection station and as long as you pass emissions (if required - my 95 is now exempt), still have your cat on, and have no leaks, you will pass.

Police profiling - yes, that is alive and well here in MA - is another issue though. A statie neighbor of mine recently informed me that if I was a `kid,' he would issue me a citation for my Greddy SP2. Fortunately for me, I am (relatively) old and (very) white, so I am unlikely to be profiled here. Of course, this same statie has a history of harassing his own neighbors. I'm the third for a fact that I know he has gone after (some of us more than once) for BS stuff.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by EsQueue
Sorry for the late post but leaner is cleaner but too lean will increase your combustion temps and increase your NOx levels, running too rich will increase your Hydrocarbons (HC).
+1

also ur MPG is effected a lot too.