4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Carbon deposits in Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Carbon deposits in Intake Manifold

So my 1996 GXE Max threw P0400, EGR code. I removed the EGR guide tube and cleaned it out, as well as the passage into the intake manifold. I did the best I could to keep the carbon deposits out of the intake manifold, but for sure some fell into the manifold. People clean the EGR Guide tube all the time, but I haven't read anything about how they cleaned the port into the intake manifold and how big of a deal those loose deposits are. I tried to get a shop vac back there, but space is pretty limited. Thoughts? Reassemble and pray they all clear out without hurting anything?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM

When i was replacing my valve cover gaskets, I cleaned my intake and some deposits fell down into the intake. I haven't any problems from it.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:31 PM

There shouldn't be any problems from it. I just finished cleaning my entire EGR system and intake due to heavy carbon build-up. It shouldn't cause you any problems. If you really want to get at it and don't want to take the manifold off, you could go with taking off the IACV and that would give you a better angle for the vacuum. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to run some seafoam through as well.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Not responsible for any damage to your car... But I cleaned my intake manifold w/ carb cleaner when I did my rear valve cover gasket. Used that to clean the egr tube as well, just preventative maintenance.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Use carb cleaner and then run some sea foam through the vacuum on the intake.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM

seafoam

Do you suck the Seafoam in or use Deep creep?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Which vacuum line do you put the sea foam into? pics would be great help
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wardssix
Do you suck the Seafoam in or use Deep creep?
Either.

Originally Posted by organ donor
Which vacuum line do you put the sea foam into? pics would be great help
As quickly as I want to say search, I'm going to turn over a new leaf this month and answer easy questions. Even though an .org member posted a video using deep creep, and it may even be in the FAQ.

The BIG hose that's leading up and away to the top of the picture, use that, it's called the "Brake Booster" (It should be connected to a big black cyllindrical shaped object in your car.

I'm going to detail the seafoaming procedure as best as I can, to help future results.

Using the good ol regular can (It's white w/ red letters)

I used 3 standard red cups, divided it up as evenly as I could.
I forgot the fuel to seafoam ratio but I know you need like 4-5 gallons in the tank, check the bottle it tells you.

1 red cup in the tank
1 in the crank case (ONLY if you're going to change the oil right after, I don't really recommend this step.... But I have included instructions at the end)
1 in the intake (Details later)

Just pour the red cup in the tank, add some gas, drive around normally till you find "the spot"

The spot should be a nice open area, or somewhere you feel comfortable spewing out lots of white smoke.

Remove the brake booster line and then start your car (It will idle like ****, and try to die out on you, if you're not alone have a friend increase the idle w/ the pedal to keep her alive). If you're having trouble starting it, start it w/ your thumb on the brake booster line (or if you're alone, don't remove it until you started the car).

SLOWLY (as fast as you can w/o stalling the car) suck up that last red cup into the intake manifold, you will see white smoke coming out as you're sucking it up.

When the cup is finished, turn off the car, crack open a beer, jam some tunes or whatever, wait like 10 minutes or so before continuing on the next step.

This is also where some people may vary, I personally like to start the car rev it a few times let it get warm then take off for some VERY spirited driving, other people say don't do this and just rev your car a bunch of times till the smoke stops. The choice is yours, I'm having no problems thus far, only have gotten positive results.

If you decided to pour a cup through the crank case then well... This is what I did...

I poured it in the crankcase when I left the gas station a few miles away from "the spot" then I immediately changed my oil, and resumed the seafoam process.

Some people say DON'T drive it at all because seafoam thins your oil, some say you have to get it through the motor somehow so drive it a few miles, and hell some say you can drive w/ it in your crankcase.
I aired on the side of caution and only drove around for a few miles then changed my oil.

BONUZ MATERIALZ!

Some media.

Facebook Post

I hope this helps...

Last edited by aackshun; 05-10-2010 at 10:00 PM.