4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 maxima - Key with chip - illustrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 AM

99 maxima - Key with chip - illustrated

Hello all,

I faced a situation a lot of you must have faced - the slot for my keychain broke on my key. I tried epoxy and various other methods, typically, these would last anywhere from a few hours to a few months.

Needed a more permanent solution (thanks to airport scanner). I was travelling, and had to put my key chain and wallet through scanner - and I was watching the scanner, and clearly saw the chip inside.

Since it is a 99, with a chip and immobilizer, dealers charge an arm and a leg for a replacement key (wish replacement was as simple as going to a walmart).

I closely examined my key, and saw that there was a visible rectangular shape beside the part where the key meets the head.

I was able to nudge the chip holder out - and was able to determine a safe place to drill. This will also be useful, if you can replacement key from ebay, and then re-use the old chip.

Posting pictures to help others who might facing a similar situation.

Hope some of you find this useful.

Have fun.

----

Manish
Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 AM

I nominate this for the FAQ's section. Does anyone else agree?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 AM

99 Maxima key chip with transponder and immobilizer

Adding "transponder and immobilizer" to the message - so that it shows up when somebody uses Search function.

I am doing so as I have been looking at the messages (used search for "Key transponder") - looks like broken keys is a fairly common issue - and I think a picture is worth a thousand words. The pictures do make it very easy to figure out where one could drill a hole in the key.

I guess, one could also buy a new blank off ebay, get it cut at a hardware store, and then insert the existing chip into the new key (obviously, this does not help if you lose your keys, helps only in a situation where your key is 'broken').
Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 AM

+ 1 for FAQ/Sticky.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the pics! +1 on the sticky, this needs to be posted! Just drilled my key. It was nice not having the chip in there while I was drilling!! Love this forum!!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM

It kind of sucks that our keys as well as remote tend to be structurally weak - I have owned a few cars now, and I have had this issue only with the maxima key and remote.

The vehicle immobilizer (though helpful, especially if somebody is trying to steal your car - not much of an issue as car is pretty old now) adds insult to injury, by limiting where you can get a replacement key.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM

I had a situation where dropped my keys in a parking lot. I realized this when I was walking back to my car and saw it on the ground. My key was smashed and broken.

the chip managed to survive so I took it and the little metal to ace. They used the key part to make a copy and I used electrical tape to hold the chip in place. This worked well. I finally got an ebay blank and put my existing chip in.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Just as an FYI to everyone regarding immobilizer keys. Locksmiths will make a duplicate for ~$60. If you lost your old key all together it goes up to $250. That involves removing the door panel, removing the door lock, dissambeling and decoding the lock, cut the key, program the key, then put it all back together. I know this because I used to work as a licensed locksmith in texas for 2 years.

I used to get people asking me if there was anyway to bypass their immobilzer system. I always advised against it. But, I did do it once for somebody.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 AM

why sticky? its not like its really important. and we just had out "stickies" cleaned. so idk, let the admin figure it out
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel1120
Just as an FYI to everyone regarding immobilizer keys. Locksmiths will make a duplicate for ~$60....

i went to home depot a few months back and they charged me $70. if you need a key thats prob the best place to do it, just call around to find one that will do it.

Last edited by ThreePointO; 05-28-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 PM

My keys were destroyed due to dropping them and then dropping them after I had the hole drilled in it.

I just bought the blanks of ebay for $15 each. The local Nissan dealer programmed them and away I went.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 PM

i lost my keys altogether but lucky enough i have a 96 so my keys dont require a chip, but how ever i tryed to get a key made from the dealer and they said that they cant get the key code because the car was sold from a canadian dealership. so i have to find a locksmith that can produce a key from the lock. so this is just a giant headache. THANK GOD MY KEYS DONT HAVE A CHIP, I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SImAxImA88
i lost my keys altogether but lucky enough i have a 96 so my keys dont require a chip, but how ever i tryed to get a key made from the dealer and they said that they cant get the key code because the car was sold from a canadian dealership. so i have to find a locksmith that can produce a key from the lock. so this is just a giant headache. THANK GOD MY KEYS DONT HAVE A CHIP, I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO.
That shouldn't be so hard. I had a locksmith come and remade keys to my door and rekey the ignition of my 90 buick regal for $90 with spares. The buick uses 2 keys so I didn't mind him putting in a new barrel for the ignition.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 AM

yes look around the key is prob no good at all. i do not have any original keys do a google search I got one key off ebay a few years back and it work awesome. just have to reprogram at dealer is eziest
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SImAxImA88
If they did, you would have to buy a blank key with chip, get a locksmith to cut it, then get the dealer to program your car to accept it. You're lucky to be without the chip as most dealers charge around $100 for the service.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel1120

I used to get people asking me if there was anyway to bypass their immobilzer system. I always advised against it. But, I did do it once for somebody.
please explain. i have no use for any alarm system on this car. i'm sure there are many others who share this thought. i have one busted key i had to repair with a strap of leather & put the good clicker board in the unbusted but non-operational case.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:17 PM

I'll add photos of my after market replacement key - with transponder chip - as these keys are MUCH cheaper than the OE - but I understand that you have to go to a dealer to 'set the chip' in them, but if you have your OE 'broken' key with it's chip - do a nice swap into one of the aftermarket keys and viola -0- save a ton of money...

Last edited by SiathLinux; 06-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM

A way to cheat is to take a chip key and tape it inside the plastic cover around the ignition switch. Then you can use a hardware store un-chipped key on your key ring.
You can't always swap the chip between keys because different key manufacturers use differend shaped/sized chips.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 AM

thanks to yall that suggested taping the key inside the column, worked for me. slowly things are getting fixed on this old car & i actually look forward to driving it on the rare occasion that i dont ride a bike that day. now if i can get the air working we're in business.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
A way to cheat is to take a chip key and tape it inside the plastic cover around the ignition switch. Then you can use a hardware store un-chipped key on your key ring.
You can't always swap the chip between keys because different key manufacturers use differend shaped/sized chips.
not sure why my picture isn't showing ... however the chip in my key is 'similar' in shape and size and 'bracket' looks nearly the same too.

2nd try for the image: (link and image)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/...96ee1612_b.jpg
Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Sorry I never reposted back. DennisMlk hit the nail in the head. The key you use to tape up their will fit better if you cut off the actual key part. Make sure to use strong tape and don't put it to far away.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:19 PM

maybe not a sticky but still, I have 2 keys with chip and both are broken, did exactly the same thing
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM

It's all good - I think that the 'other' aftermarket key, the holder part is more of a 'plunger cover' than a real holder and the chip is larger than the OE one...

Guess the most important thing here is to save money on having to get a set of keys registered to the ECU... no matter which method you use (attaching chip to car/putting old chip in newer key/whatevermethodyoucansavemoney), I know that eventually I will get an OE key for the car, just due to the fact that I want it to have the Nissan Logo on it.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM

I saw a rubber sleeve for these keys in the "help" section at a local auto parts store for just a few bucks. Just slips over the key like those colored identifier sleeves.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 PM

i used an 1999 i30 key... metal key ftw! got two keys for like 40 something and just swapped out the lil chips inside for my stock ones.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks to the posters here

I was getting pretty tired of having to carry my ignition key in the zipper compartment of my wallet. Both my keys had suffered from "incurable Maxima key loop rot".

Bought two key blanks on ebay, had them cut at a hardware store, swapped the chips from my old keys with the help of my trusty SAK, now I'm good to go.

Thanks to all you fellow max drivers!!