4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

They Found My Stolen Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 08:21 AM

They Found My Stolen Max

Well, they found my stolen Max. It was actually recovered in Hartford before I even reported it stolen. I found out it was recovered by a certified letter from the City of Hartford before the geniuses at the police department knew. Surprisingly they only stole the wheels , and the grill. Most of the damaged was incurred by the towing company who loaded and unloaded the car from a flatbed (mind you, the car doesn't have any wheels). I took it to a local Nissan dealer and they said the should have all the work done by next week. It actually would've been better if the car wasn't recovered, because I could go get another one.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:01 AM

Re: They Found My Stolen Max

Originally posted by JiggsHall
Well, they found my stolen Max. It was actually recovered in Hartford before I even reported it stolen. I found out it was recovered by a certified letter from the City of Hartford before the geniuses at the police department knew. Surprisingly they only stole the wheels , and the grill. Most of the damaged was incurred by the towing company who loaded and unloaded the car from a flatbed (mind you, the car doesn't have any wheels). I took it to a local Nissan dealer and they said the should have all the work done by next week. It actually would've been better if the car wasn't recovered, because I could go get another one.
Flat bed wit no Rims?!! I cringe to think of the results of such stupidity. Well at least you have your Original baby back....minuse the feet. Concentrate on the sentimental value of it. Wheres i Hartford anyways? I didn't read the initial thread on this (if you had one) but did you have an alarm system? Have you determined exactly how they were able to get in AND drive off with her?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:18 AM
Administrator

sounds good my friend... damn joy riders
Old 12-12-2001, 09:46 AM

congrats on getting the car back! so what rims are you gonna get now...volks???
Old 12-12-2001, 11:03 AM

Any idea of waht the damage is gonna run you?

SuDZ
Old 12-12-2001, 11:19 AM

Oh man, where in Hartford did they find it? >

East or West of the river? Which Nissan dealer are you having th work handled by?

I hope your underpinnings are too badly scraped up.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:02 PM

It was found in Hartford, CT on Dillon Rd. West of the River.I'm having it done at Decormier in Manchester. Right now I'm just going to go with the stock rims, and maybe look at some Nakayama's in the summer time. Do you think the oil pan could be damaged ?
Old 12-12-2001, 02:18 PM

Get a look, yourself

It was found in Hartford, CT on Dillon Rd. West of the River.I'm having it done at Decormier in Manchester. Right now I'm just going to go with the stock rims, and maybe look at some Nakayama's in the summer time. Do you think the oil pan could be damaged ?
Anything's possible if they "dragged" it like you say. What an idiot that tow driver was!!!

You should get under the car once it's up on a lift at the dealership to get a look yourself. Insist on it to the service manager, given the circumstances.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:48 PM

when they found my boys accord with no rims they called him and asked him to get 4 donut or steel rims to put on the car... they said they wouldnt move it without wheels... i guess the tow truck driver who put ur car on the flatbed was either heartless or just a plain moron... was he a redneck?
Old 12-13-2001, 05:38 AM

I plan on being there when they put it on the lift, the dealer at leat put some wheels on it to move it around. I plan on going down there to meet the insurance adjuster when they call. It's reputable dealer but I don't trust any car dealers service department completely. I'll also be uspet if they don't put the Original OEM wheels back on there. I had a friend who had theirs stolen , and they ended up with wheels from a 93-94 GXE on it . That's what they get for not speaking up.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remove that fuel pump fuse dude.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:50 AM

Go w/ aftermarket wheels!

I plan on being there when they put it on the lift, the dealer at leat put some wheels on it to move it around. I plan on going down there to meet the insurance adjuster when they call. It's reputable dealer but I don't trust any car dealers service department completely. I'll also be uspet if they don't put the Original OEM wheels back on there. I had a friend who had theirs stolen , and they ended up with wheels from a 93-94 GXE on it . That's what they get for not speaking up.
Here's a thought:

If you've considered getting some nice aftermarket wheels, get the insurance company to assess the value of the OEM replacement wheels and just put that $ toward aftermarket wheels instead of getting OEM. OEM wheels are MAD$$$, so you might be pretty close to a nice set of aftermarkets for the same $.

It's worth looking into!

www.tirerack.com
www.discounttiredirect.com
www.whalentire.com

Old 12-13-2001, 07:38 AM

This is very true , I may just do that. Allstate has been really slow about sending an appraiser out , so as soon as I hear the word that they sent him out there I'm down there ! I'd like to get some Nakayamas, but Connecticut winters are fierce. Right now I just want to make sure they get the car looking back to the way it was even though the damage is minimal, dealers usually find a way to mess something up.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is very true , I may just do that. Allstate has been really slow about sending an appraiser out ,
Let us know how your dealings with Allstate goes. I recently switched to them and save about 15% a year from Nationwide, but I have since been told Allstate has poor service, does not support you when it comes to getting the right repairs done, etc...
Old 12-13-2001, 08:10 AM

I'm actually thinking about switching because of the rental coverage there are other things too. The rental coverage is terrible, they only deal with Alamo and Enterprise, and will reimburse you basically the full per diem rental amount if your car is in an accident, however, if your car is stolen they only reimburse you up to $10 per day for a rental.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:52 AM

Allstate put in a good estimate for repairs, the car isn't that badly damaged but the appraiser was very thorough. I'm pretty satisfied
Old 12-13-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Maxima97GLE
when they found my boys accord with no rims they called him and asked him to get 4 donut or steel rims to put on the car... they said they wouldnt move it without wheels... i guess the tow truck driver who put ur car on the flatbed was either heartless or just a plain moron... was he a redneck?

I'm glad they found your car.

This is how most NJ tow truck drivers are. 5 of my friends work for towing companies and they are not suppose to tow the car esp if there are no wheels. If the customer really wants it done, they must sign a waiver stating the towing company is not help responsible for any damages.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

so wait.... they just put the car on it's belly?

I would not want anyone doing that to my car...
And yea, if you can get the value of OEM wheels with tires, be prepared for a good enough $ to buy a set of nice 18s or so Just go to the dealer for the quote... jstock 16s are like 250$ each, plus I bet dealerships charge a good 120$ per tire...

190hpKilla had his stock 16's stolen. I think that is what he did...
Old 12-13-2001, 04:50 PM

JiggsHall >>

Do you think the oil pan could be damaged ?
I'd be mroe concerned about the tranny pan...it sits lower. Have everything checked, especially the exhaust, fuel and brake lines.
Old 12-14-2001, 06:25 AM

I'm definitely checking on the brake lines and tranny. The back plates in front of wheel bearings were grounded flat because of the dragging it on to the truck. The towing company claims that all the replacement wheels they use on stolen cars were stolen from their shop........RIGHT ! The insurance company wants to get me a set of reconditioned wheels from a vendor that they use. The guy at the dealer said he has a brand new set laying around that he'd give me for $100. If the dealers repair estimate is where I like it ,I'm getting the brand new ones. I'd like to get 17's or 18's but Connecticut winters are harsh .
Old 12-14-2001, 04:20 PM

I'm definitely checking on the brake lines and tranny. The back plates in front of wheel bearings were grounded flat because of the dragging it on to the truck. The towing company claims that all the replacement wheels they use on stolen cars were stolen from their shop........RIGHT ! The insurance company wants to get me a set of reconditioned wheels from a vendor that they use. The guy at the dealer said he has a brand new set laying around that he'd give me for $100. If the dealers repair estimate is where I like it ,I'm getting the brand new ones. I'd like to get 17's or 18's but Connecticut winters are harsh .
To a great extent, a wheel is a wheel in terms of finish durability. They're not exactly made out of bare iron ore, afterall. OEM or aftermarket, 99.9% of modern alloy wheels have a clearcoat finish & that's that, as far as protection goes. So I guess I'm not following your logic on not wanting to get aftermarkets "on account of the harsh winters," but to each his own. . .

Good luck w/ whatever you decide on.

Old 12-18-2001, 06:07 AM

The reason why I wouldn't get after markets is because of the fact that it snows so much up here I don't want to have to worry about traction in the snow. I know I could get aftermarket wheels that are less expensive, but I'd want to get 17's and they don't provide as much traction in the snow depending on the width. I'm looking for some spring/summer wheels though after the winter is over.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:35 AM

Sorry bro, but I don't follow >>

The reason why I wouldn't get after markets is because of the fact that it snows so much up here I don't want to have to worry about traction in the snow.
What you should do is get nice aftermarket rims with All-season perf tires, and a set of 15" steel rims with snow tires.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

YAY that's awesome that they recovered your car!!!!
Good luck with the fixup and getting everythinig back in order. You should charge the towing company big-time for whatever bottoom damages that were incurred.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:20 AM

It would be nice if I had the money for extra rims too ,but the theft couldn't come at a worse time I'm trying to buy a house . I'm going to report the towing company to the city, the towing company is going to get paid no matter what .....how much time would it have taken to put some temporary wheels on it just to get it to their shop ? We have a lot of problems here with the city contracted towing companies.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:05 PM

live and die in a Maxima.