4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tricking Airbag system with resistor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 AM

Tricking Airbag system with resistor?

Hey guys,

I got some seats from a 96 i30 which does not have seat airbags, where as my car did have them, so my airbag light is flashing on my dash

I would really love to keep these seats because my drivers side one was done! yet I don't want to compromise safety for a rip in my seat lol

Has anyone tricked the system by using a resistor before? if so which resistor did you use?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 AM

I suppose that it is possible. As for which value, why don't you measure the resistance of the airbag. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Maybe you could run the self diagnostic and confirm this is the problem (although I would think it almost certainly is). If you choose to go a head with this, read the RS section of the FSM first.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Although unlikely the voltage from your ohmmeter could cause the airbag to activate. Just stay clear of the bag when you are doing this, AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by LLZuB
I would really love to keep these seats because my drivers side one was done! yet I don't want to compromise safety for a rip in my seat lol
How is that not compromising safety? Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean your seat now suddenly has airbags....

Or are you actually saying you don't wanna sacrifice 4 airbags, but 1 is fine.

The seat cushion might be swappable.... then you wouldn't sacrifice any airbags at all.

Last edited by 96i30azn; 07-16-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM

well I meant i'd rather compromise the seat airbags then all of them
since none of them are working right now because the seat airbag is unplugged

I just don't think the seat airbag is all that much important considering it was an option on these maxima's and not standard

Ya, i guess i could dismantle the seats, but that would be quite a bit more work then adding a resistor to the harness I believe

I'll see what happens, thanks for the suggestions guys

im thinking ill get a variable resistor and then test it with an ohm meter, and then buy the right resistor
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
The seat cushion might be swappable....
And is repairable too.

Why in the world would you swap and downgrade a safety feature?
Makes no sense at all.

Go to any auto interior shop, Goolge will help you find one in your area.
Have your seat fixed and maintain the safety feature your car came with.

Had my Explorere driver seat recoved, OE peforated leather was about $300 bucks. Totally worth the $$ spent, and in your case with the SRS Side Impact Air Bags, it's a no brainer.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM

well see thats the differance right there...

the seats are free...

free vs $300...i think free wins...
Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 PM

FWIW. I could not find any information in the FSM, but it is possible that even if an airbag is missing and the air bag light is flashing the rest of the system may function normally as long as it is in operable condition. Although you won't be able to tell if the rest of the system is operable because the light is always flashing. I agree with the others that it is best to have a functioning side airbag if at all possible.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 PM

You may want to try a google search to find your answer..

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...1b00b7cb80fe03

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3674350

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1954862

Last edited by Nopike; 07-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 AM

well I meant i'd rather compromise the seat airbags then all of them
since none of them are working right now because the seat airbag is unplugged
How you know they don't work?
I just don't think the seat airbag is all that much important considering it was an option on these maxima's and not standard
That's the most ridiculous argument ever.... almost every safety feature today was optional at one point in time. I paid more than $600 to get my passenger seat airbag replaced... oh well to each his own.
Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Had my Explorere driver seat recoved, OE peforated leather was about $300 bucks. Totally worth the $$ spent, and in your case with the SRS Side Impact Air Bags, it's a no brainer.
The man would rather have a resistor than swap out a seat cushion... we're wasting our breath.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
FWIW. I could not find any information in the FSM, but it is possible that even if an airbag is missing and the air bag light is flashing the rest of the system may function normally as long as it is in operable condition. Although you won't be able to tell if the rest of the system is operable because the light is always flashing. I agree with the others that it is best to have a functioning side airbag if at all possible.
So the rest of the system will still work?

hmm interesting, I was told differantly...well thats why im here! for answers

thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 AM

Yes I did, I was looking for maxima specific...

thanks though..
Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Willing to learn

The control module you now have under the console has a place for two wiring connectors, one for the front bags & one for the side. Just get an air bag module from a car without the side air bag option. It will only have one outlet for a connector. The other wire connector that controls the seat air bags will just hang loose under your console. If you install this and then reconnect your battery, your system will be reset and no light should appear.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
The control module you now have under the console has a place for two wiring connectors, one for the front bags & one for the side. Just get an air bag module from a car without the side air bag option. It will only have one outlet for a connector. The other wire connector that controls the seat air bags will just hang loose under your console. If you install this and then reconnect your battery, your system will be reset and no light should appear.
Thanks! i actually can grab the airbag module from the car which i got the seats from...im guna look into doing this!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Willing to learn

Thanks! i actually can grab the airbag module from the car which i got the seats from...im guna look into doing this!
It does work. I did it on mine when I swapped out the seats from tan to black.

About a year later though I found some black air bag seats, so I reinstalled the original module. It's all good.