4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I talked to Schmelly about this yesterday. We help make up for a short y-pipe by adding a loose 3/8" flange between the b-pipe and cat (you can put one on either side of the cat is 3/4" take-up is needed) along with an extra gasket and longer bolts.

Everybody know this... This b-pipe is heavier than stock by quite a bit, and moves back and forth on the hangers more as a result. New exhaust hangers are a MUST! Plan on it, and its not a bad idea to have 2-3 small hose clamps on hand to go around the outside of the hangers to provide more control. NISMO hangers will work best, but they're pricey and sometimes hard to find, so try the Walker Exhaust OEM replacements; part #s are 35725 (buy 3) and 35460 (buy one).

It was pretty tight routing the b-pipe around the gas tank, next to the rear suspension. Needed to leave some air between the tubing and tank for obvious reasons, which leaves it near the trailing arm "hub". If necessary, use the hose clamps around the muffler hangers to limit the back and forth movement in that tight spot.

Send your friends, we still have 3 systems left!

Brian
Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 PM

when does this end?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM

oh, my bad. you still have 3 of these left? does this hook up to stock?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The catback is designed to fit like stock, meaning that it bolts right up to the back end of the cat as long as the cat is in the stock position, and all the hangers are in the stock positions. Doesn't matter if the cat is stock as long as the rear flange is exactly where the rear flange of the stock cat is supposed to be.

Give us a call if you'd like to order, I'll only be in my office from 3:30-5:00pm MST/PDT, tomorrow (Friday, 29 Oct.); back in the office Monday morning at 9am MST (2 hours earlier than east coast time after the end of daylight savings time on Sunday).

Brian
Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM

wouldnt the exhaust being pulled forward away from the rear bumber misalign everything causing some other more noticeable rubbing, i mean , using 3 inch seems pretty tight as is... more install pics of rear bumper for all you GD guys please.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 PM

if new fresh hangers are needed, has anyone thought of using nismo hangers?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
Brian did a couple posts above.
Originally Posted by Cattman
...Everybody know this... This b-pipe is heavier than stock by quite a bit, and moves back and forth on the hangers more as a result. New exhaust hangers are a MUST! Plan on it, and its not a bad idea to have 2-3 small hose clamps on hand to go around the outside of the hangers to provide more control. NISMO hangers will work best, but they're pricey and sometimes hard to find, so try the Walker Exhaust OEM replacements; part #s are 35725 (buy 3) and 35460 (buy one)...
Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Brian did a couple posts above.

missed that part.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
Yeah I did about 5-6 yrs ago @ $15 ea and the Walkers are just as good and way cheaper!!!! I'll put my money on the walker.....
Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I'm 90% positive it terminates in the same spot as OEM. I installed my ypipe and HFC at different times and do not recall any issues with the ypipe terminating earlier than the OEM ypipe. I reused the OEM hangers on my ypipe, so I'll check them out tomorrow and see if they seem to be pushing or pulling with respect to the rear of the car.

Edit: I checked it out today and confirmed that the ypipe terminates earlier than OEM, pulling the exhaust inward/away from the bumper.
You really had me worried there for a bit. For some reason, I had it in my head that you had Cattman ypipe and Fastcat. So, to see the tip recessed really made me do this... Now it all makes sense.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, I went back to where we did the original mock-up and had the 3" system installed. It was also a good opportunity for Scott the fabricator to see it installed in person and check the alignment of things. We noticed it would bang the trailing arm as Brian pointed out, hence his comment about the need for more rigid exhaust hangers.

I was relieved to see that the tip fell where it should be. Looks great IMO.

Also, keep in mind guys, you'll notice that the exhaust gets really close to the car where the muffler and Bpipe flange is located. Use the back of a hammer or something and push the heat shield up an inch to give you some additional clearance and to avoid it banging in the future.

On with the pics....

Last edited by The Wizard; 08-22-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:48 AM

If it is banging in moderate to heavy movement? Are you talking side to side or fwd and aft( like straight line accelerations)? I found my old 2.5" (pic is w/the new 3")to bang the hangar stud aft of the resonator @ the 90 degree bend, during hard r/h turns so this is what I did......those are some old shock bushings! Nice looking exhaust system there buddy! Welcome to the 3" Cattman catback family!

Last edited by CMax03; 10-29-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CMax03
If it is banging in moderate to heavy movement? Are you talking side to side or fwd and backward?
Side to side movement
Nice looking exhaust system there buddy! Welcome to the 3" Cattman catback family!
Thanks. You're the second person now to say that. LOL
Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
You really had me worried there for a bit. For some reason, I had it in my head that you had Cattman ypipe and Fastcat. So, to see the tip recessed really made me do this... Now it all makes sense.
Sorry about that. I suppose the difference of less than an inch wasn't noticeable when moving the pipes around to get the studs through the exhaust flanges. The tip placement looks really good on your car!

Didn't have any luck finding exhaust hangers yesterday. NAPA wanted $6 a pop. Checker didn't have any in stock, they said the earliest I could get them was the end of next week. Autozone had generic ones that looked similar to the walker hangers. I may bring one of my hangers in and see how they compare.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Sorry about that. I suppose the difference of less than an inch wasn't noticeable when moving the pipes around to get the studs through the exhaust flanges. The tip placement looks really good on your car!

Didn't have any luck finding exhaust hangers yesterday. NAPA wanted $6 a pop. Checker didn't have any in stock, they said the earliest I could get them was the end of next week. Autozone had generic ones that looked similar to the walker hangers. I may bring one of my hangers in and see how they compare.
That's cheap,....... NISMO wants $15 a pop!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 AM

[edit] See dyno thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...3-4th-gen.html

Last edited by aackshun; 10-31-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Black Lion

Since I wont be installin mine for quite some time, I'll have to rely on the results you guys post for now. Im waiting to get all my turbo parts to do everything in one shot. So it seems there may be some MINOR rubbing issues around the heat shield and back and forth movement. Something for me to keep in mind when Im ready to install mine.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Installed today, I dont really have any interesting pics, but my tip sits the same as schmelly's does.

Has anyone else felt any gains? I sure have....
Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 AM

does anyone have a decent sound clip? fart's video sucks...
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun
Installed today, I dont really have any interesting pics, but my tip sits the same as schmelly's does.

Go dyno it, show us those gains
Old 11-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Go dyno it, show us those gains
Don't temp me... I think I may hit up a mustang dyno for $30 for giggles, the numbers may be off but the curves can still be accurate.

[edit]
Fitment pic:

Last edited by aackshun; 11-02-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Boosted Panda

Don't temp me... I think I may hit up a mustang dyno for $30 for giggles, the numbers may be off but the curves can still be accurate.

[edit]
Fitment pic:

Was you last dyno on a Mustang Dyno? If not, the numbers will be diifferent.

Not liking that fitment of the tail pipe, do you plan on altering the exhaust to extend it?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Since I wont be installin mine for quite some time, I'll have to rely on the results you guys post for now. Im waiting to get all my turbo parts to do everything in one shot. So it seems there may be some MINOR rubbing issues around the heat shield and back and forth movement. Something for me to keep in mind when Im ready to install mine.
Since it's such a simple install, I say install it now and appreciate the gains.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Since it's such a simple install, I say install it now and appreciate the gains.
How's your beast responding to that pipe upgrade?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Was you last dyno on a Mustang Dyno? If not, the numbers will be diifferent.

Not liking that fitment of the tail pipe, do you plan on altering the exhaust to extend it?
Nope, it was on a Dynojet, I'm more interested in the curves than the numbers, 2 pulls for $30 is a helluva deal.

Don't worry, don't worry, the legit dyno comparison will NOT be on a 'stang dyno. It will be done on the same dynojet I used for my first dyno.

Yah, I'm doin what they said earlier in the thread and then some... I'm going to put in a 2.75" test pipe, since It's custom, I can extend it to 13" which will help with fitment, but I won't do anything like that until I install the OBX's.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Boosted Panda

Nope, it was on a Dynojet, I'm more interested in the curves than the numbers, 2 pulls for $30 is a helluva deal.

Don't worry, don't worry, the legit dyno comparison will NOT be on a 'stang dyno. It will be done on the same dynojet I used for my first dyno.

Yah, I'm doin what they said earlier in the thread and then some... I'm going to put in a 2.75" test pipe, since It's custom, I can extend it to 13" which will help with fitment, but I won't do anything like that until I install the OBX's.
Do you think that by adding over an inch in its overall legnth will move the bent piping in front of the gas tank that much closer to it causing it to touch/bang?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 AM

Do you think that by adding over an inch in its overall legnth will move the bent piping in front of the gas tank that much closer to it causing it to touch/bang?
The stock cat size is supposedly 12.5 inches, I haven't measured anything out yet, but the exhaust was designed to sit further back in the first place, right?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Black Lion

The stock cat size is supposedly 12.5 inches, I haven't measured anything out yet, but the exhaust was designed to sit further back in the first place, right?
No, It was designed to fit exactly where it is in Wiz's newly installed 3" exhaust. I am using the Cattman fast cat, headers, and 2.5 now. So Im assuming switching to the 3", the tip should sit exactly where the Wizard's is now.

Wiz, I think you convinced me. I may just go ahead and install it. I know I need new hangers as Brian posted, Im assuming new gaskets in between the flanges as well? Or can I re-use the old gaskets? If I can't re-use the old gaskets, where can I get the new gaskets? Any part numbers? This will be my first time installing any exhaust myself
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM

No, It was designed to fit exactly where it is in Wiz's newly installed 3" exhaust.
Which is further back then how mine sits...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Boosted Panda

Which is further back then how mine sits...
Really?
His seems to protrude just a bit, but your pic doesnt really show the tip in relation to the bumpers cutout.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Black Lion

Yes it does protrude a slight bit. On My 2.5 it is exactly the same way. Brian and his exhaust guy designed it to protrude the same on the 3" If you are using either Cattman ypipes, fastcats or headers the tip should protrude like the original design intended it to.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 AM

Exactly!! Me and Schmelly's sit further back, which is why they are hidden a bit, so with a slightly extended test pipe that I'm making it should sit where it's deisgned to sit.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 AM

^ You mean further FWD?^ In relation to the car, but you want it to fit slightly aft of the rear fascia cutout?.......I know what you really meant, ACTION JACKSON!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 AM

^ You mean further FWD?^ In relation to the car, but you want it to fit slightly aft of the rear fascia cutout?.......I know what you really meant, ACTION JACKSON!!!!!
Tomayto, Tomahto...
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 PM

In/out........front/back........in/out.......
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Semantics..
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 PM

Just messing around guys........it means nothing!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Yes, I feel gains, and throughout the entire power band. More pics and a full review coming after I install the system on my boosted 99.

How's your beast responding to that pipe upgrade?
Haven't installed it yet. Very soon though. Next up is to install subframe collars and this 3" exhaust on the boosted 99.
No, It was designed to fit exactly where it is in Wiz's newly installed 3" exhaust. I am using the Cattman fast cat, headers, and 2.5 now. So Im assuming switching to the 3", the tip should sit exactly where the Wizard's is now.
Yup, it should fall as seen in my pics. On my 99, I have Cattman's headers and fastcat as well. Right now, my 2.5" sticks out a bit too far. We'll see with this setup.
Wiz, I think you convinced me. I may just go ahead and install it. I know I need new hangers as Brian posted, Im assuming new gaskets in between the flanges as well? Or can I re-use the old gaskets? If I can't re-use the old gaskets, where can I get the new gaskets? Any part numbers? This will be my first time installing any exhaust myself
If your setup isn't too old, I say it's a safe bet to re-use the gaskets. I've done that before and had no problems.

If you do need new gaskets, I'd ask Brian for part OEM part #'s or maybe just order directly from Brian and use what he normally provides; which seem to be good quality gaskets.

Last edited by The Wizard; 08-22-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I use the OEM SS gaskets located @ the Cat, throughout my 3" exhaust system....From the Ypipe/Cat flange> the aft resonator/bpipe flange> the bpipe/rear muffler section flange.....Use a dremel to open up the I.D.; been reusing my gaskets @ the cat for 7 yrs now! Three Exhaust systems thus far....Oem>Cattman 2.5">Cattman 3"......LOL

http://www.courtesyparts.com/20692m-...tml?cPath=1783&

Last edited by CMax03; 11-06-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Black Lion

I use the OEM SS gaskets located @ the Cat, throughout my 3" exhaust system....From the Ypipe/Cat flange> the aft resonator/bpipe flange> the bpipe/rear muffler section flange.....Use a dremel to open up the I.D.; been reusing my gaskets @ the cat for 7 yrs now! Three Exhaust systems thus far....Oem>Cattman 2.5">Cattman 3"......LOL

http://www.courtesyparts.com/20692m-...tml?cPath=1783&
Thats a good idea about dremeling the opening of the metal gasket. Brian told me If I needed a new gasket that I could buy the one for the 2001 maxima because the opening of the gasket is bigger and since we are using 3" exhaust now, then it should work out well.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman