4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How hard is the support bearing to change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

How hard is the support bearing to change?

I'm so sick of the that bad bearing sound coming from underneath my car, How hard is this to change and do it have to be pressed out/in? Reason I believe this is my problem is because axles are good, front wheel bearings are good, brakes are good, well maybe I need rotors... I don't think I've missed anything else. If so I would love the feedback. I found the part for $26 but I'd rather be sure if this is all I would need to get.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Hey guys I hope I'm not asking a dump question for no one to respond yet. But I don't know really alot about this so that why i'm asking and I've tried researching and found nothing.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

What is this support bearing your talk about? I'm afraid I dont know what that is...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
What is this support bearing your talk about? I'm afraid I dont know what that is...
+1. not sure what a support bearing is. Thought you might of been talking about the support beam, but $26 is not the correct pricing for the front support. thought it would of been the front wheel bearings, but you said it checked out good. Thought of the rear wheel bearings, but you usually can't find it by itself without the hub. either way, you need to clarify what you are talking about cause we don't know what you're referring to
Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 AM

wtf? support bearings are found on rwd cars/trucks with multiple piece driveshaft.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 AM

strut bearings?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 AM
No more Maximas...

You mean for the right side axle? As far as I'm aware, you can't get that piece individually, you're stuck with replacing the axle. Do you have a link to the part?

FWIW, I've never heard of one of these causing problems, this would be a first (for me, anyway).
Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You mean for the right side axle? As far as I'm aware, you can't get that piece individually, you're stuck with replacing the axle. Do you have a link to the part?

FWIW, I've never heard of one of these causing problems, this would be a first (for me, anyway).
You're right on... it's coming from the right axle I believe and courtesyparts.com does sell the part.... but if this is a part of the axle than I would not want to change this unless this can be done easy Here the part no# 39774 at http://www.courtesyparts.com/39774-b...-p-133559.html

I'm assuming that the bearing fits here from the axle http://www.courtesyparts.com/39781-b...784_1851_1872&

Last edited by najee1062; 08-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM

To the OP. I have a strange noise that may be coming from that support bearing for the passenger axle as well. Can you describe the sound it makes? Is it obvious that it is coming from the support bearing?

Since I have to change my axle soon due to busted boot I may try and change that bearing as well and hope for the best. I'll be interested in how this goes for you.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-17-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by pmohr

Hey Paul, long time no see ... stop hiding! lol

I have heard reports of that mount actually breaking, snaps loose from the block. Not sure if that is what the OP is possibly dealing with or not.

Originally Posted by najee1062
You're right on... it's coming from the right axle I believe and courtesyparts.com does sell the part.... but if this is a part of the axle than I would not want to change this unless this can be done easy Here the part no# 39774 at http://www.courtesyparts.com/39774-b...-p-133559.html

I'm assuming that the bearing fits here from the axle http://www.courtesyparts.com/39781-b...784_1851_1872&

You should be able to look behind the tire well and see if you see anything 'broken' or not. A bad bearing you will not see untill it is in your hand howerver ... but if that bracket snapped loose, it'll be hanging on the axle. The axle slides into the support bearing / bracket. The new bracket should have a new bearing already pressed in. Contact DaveB to be certain ... I bet he can tell you for sure.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Hey Paul, long time no see ... stop hiding! lol

I have heard reports of that mount actually breaking, snaps loose from the block. Not sure if that is what the OP is possibly dealing with or not.

You should be able to look behind the tire well and see if you see anything 'broken' or not. A bad bearing you will not see untill it is in your hand howerver ... but if that bracket snapped loose, it'll be hanging on the axle. The axle slides into the support bearing / bracket. The new bracket should have a new bearing already pressed in. Contact DaveB to be certain ... I bet he can tell you for sure.
Thanks guy I'll check that out first thing in the morning and is DaveB a org member? I went for a drive this evening and the sound was not as bad But most times at night or cool days it don't sound as bad... but hot days it will sound out really bad.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Ok so trying to understand this thread so far, you are saying the bearing inside the passenger side axle where it screws onto the support bracket is making a noise?? How long have you had this axle??
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Ok so trying to understand this thread so far, you are saying the bearing inside the passenger side axle where it screws onto the support bracket is making a noise?? How long have you had this axle??
not sure how long the axle has been on the car... I've had the car for under 3 years now. But didn't have this problem until about a year now.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM

this bearing is not apart of the axle, it's a part of the support bracket which the extension shaft of the axle goes in and is being supported by the support bracket. I hope i'm explaining this correct.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 AM

this bearing is not apart of the axle, it's a part of the support bracket which the extension shaft of the axle goes in and is being supported by the support bracket. I hope i'm explaining this correct.
Yeah I see what you are talking about in the diagram. If that bearing is going bad, why not just replace the axle itself? Are your CV boots in good shape?? Seems more like a headache changing that bearing as it seems like no one has done it before.

As someone posted before, what kind of noise does it make?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Whatchyou say?

Yes, you explained it right.

Yeah I see what you are talking about in the diagram. If that bearing is going bad, why not just replace the axle itself? Are your CV boots in good shape?? Seems more like a headache changing that bearing as it seems like no one has done it before.

See above quote ^^^^

Thanks guy I'll check that out first thing in the morning and is DaveB a org member? I went for a drive this evening and the sound was not as bad But most times at night or cool days it don't sound as bad... but hot days it will sound out really bad.

Yes, DaveB is an orgr and he can get you the best prices on most Maxima parts - IIRC, he works for a Nissan Dealer (dunno where). You can PM him and he can quote part(s) you might want / need.

Another thing you could try is to spry (not toooooo much) sillicone on that bearing. It's reachable, just a PITA. If you notice the noise go away, you found your culprit. If the noise doesn't go away, look elsewhere. Hope this helps!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM

It sound like a bad wheel bearing and I thought that this was not apart of the axle but a part of the support bracket. Hope I'm not sounding stupid. But I maybe wrong. The CV bolts are good no problem there.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM

It sound like a bad wheel bearing and I thought that this was not apart of the axle but a part of the support bracket. Hope I'm not sounding stupid. But I maybe wrong. The CV bolts are good no problem there.
The bearing you describe and is displayed in the diagram is part of the axle. It has nothing to do with the support bracket. The bracket is fixed to the engine and does not have any movable parts. It is to support the passenger side axle from excess strain.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Whatchyou say?

The bearing you describe and is displayed in the diagram is part of the axle. It has nothing to do with the support bracket. The bracket is fixed to the engine and does not have any movable parts. It is to support the passenger side axle from excess strain.

If you have replaced the PS axle, you'ld know. I have replaced the PS axle ... and I assure you, the bearing is NOT a part of the axle. Think what you want, understand what you want, but facts are facts. The support bearing / bracket is one peice. To argue this is not helping the OP, so is there a point?

OP ... if it's a wheel bearing issue, you can lift the car (that wheel) and spin it. If you hear / feel rubbing, it could be a bad WB. Also, with that wheel lifted, grab a hold of the wheel at 12 and 6, and also 3 and 9. See how much lateral or transverse play there is. If it 'feels' loose, it could be a bad bearing.

Another thing you could do is to take it to a reputable shop, have them diagnose the issue (since we can't hear and feel what you do - you can olny describe it) then fix it yourself. I hate to say 'use the shop' but ... it can work.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks guys for all of the reply's... Today something came off of my car while I was driving and freaked me out. So I went to a shop that rent's out bays with lifts and lift my car to see what was going on... I found that I had no grease in the inner cv boot and just lost a bearing in the outer cv boot. The whole time that bad bearing sound was that I had no grease but showed no leakage at all. The boot look like it was vacuum sealed which was crazy and I found what was that sound of breaking parts while I was driving, a bearing had pop thru the outer cv boot causing a nice hole the size of a bearing in the cv boot. Well that's it for that axle. Also thanks for helping with the support bearing and bracket. I see now that it should come with the axle but is not a part of the axle and that this wasn't the problem.

next question is where would be the best place to buy/order axle and should I replace both axle or just the one.... I checked the other side and it looks good, also these are not the original axles so they have been replaced at some point.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 PM

If you have replaced the PS axle, you'ld know. I have replaced the PS axle ... and I assure you, the bearing is NOT a part of the axle. Think what you want, understand what you want, but facts are facts. The support bearing / bracket is one peice. To argue this is not helping the OP, so is there a point?

OP ... if it's a wheel bearing issue, you can lift the car (that wheel) and spin it. If you hear / feel rubbing, it could be a bad WB. Also, with that wheel lifted, grab a hold of the wheel at 12 and 6, and also 3 and 9. See how much lateral or transverse play there is. If it 'feels' loose, it could be a bad bearing.

Another thing you could do is to take it to a reputable shop, have them diagnose the issue (since we can't hear and feel what you do - you can olny describe it) then fix it yourself. I hate to say 'use the shop' but ... it can work.

Thanks guy seems you and I only ones know that the support bearing/bracket and not apart of the axle.... I've found that they will sell them together costing more for the axle and some without.

I went to a D.I.Y. shop today and did the test and that wheel is ok so wheel bearings are good. The other side needs tie rod though
Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Whatchyou say?

Thanks guys for all of the reply's... Today something came off of my car while I was driving and freaked me out. So I went to a shop that rent's out bays with lifts and lift my car to see what was going on... I found that I had no grease in the inner cv boot and just lost a bearing in the outer cv boot. The whole time that bad bearing sound was that I had no grease but showed no leakage at all. The boot look like it was vacuum sealed which was crazy and I found what was that sound of breaking parts while I was driving, a bearing had pop thru the outer cv boot causing a nice hole the size of a bearing in the cv boot. Well that's it for that axle. Also thanks for helping with the support bearing and bracket. I see now that it should come with the axle but is not a part of the axle and that this wasn't the problem.

next question is where would be the best place to buy/order axle and should I replace both axle or just the one.... I checked the other side and it looks good, also these are not the original axles so they have been replaced at some point.

Raxles .com ... FTW!!!! As for the bearing, you shouldn't need to replace it (or the bracket for that matter). The new axle will not come with the bearing (at least not that I am aware of (and not from Raxles, mine didn't). When you go to replace that axle, just unbolt the 3 - 14mm bolts holding the bracket and pull it out, makes life MUCH easier to get the axle / support bracket together (and apart). As for replacing both axles ... up to you really. Some people will not do just one of anything (hl bulbs, tail lights, axles, etc...) but I have always been of the opinion - if it aint broke, don't fix it. lol There may come a time you'll need to do the DS as well, but that's cake - really, very very easy.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 AM

Raxles .com ... FTW!!!! As for the bearing, you shouldn't need to replace it (or the bracket for that matter). The new axle will not come with the bearing (at least not that I am aware of (and not from Raxles, mine didn't). When you go to replace that axle, just unbolt the 3 - 14mm bolts holding the bracket and pull it out, makes life MUCH easier to get the axle / support bracket together (and apart). As for replacing both axles ... up to you really. Some people will not do just one of anything (hl bulbs, tail lights, axles, etc...) but I have always been of the opinion - if it aint broke, don't fix it. lol There may come a time you'll need to do the DS as well, but that's cake - really, very very easy.
\

How much is the pass side axle at axles.com?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 AM

\

How much is the pass side axle at axles.com?

why dont you go to a pepgirls or autozone? theyre like 100 bucks or so? I got my axles from autozone. No problems.

Also my axles came with support bearings.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Whatchyou say?

Once you get the bracket off the car, there are, IIRC, 3 - 10mm bolts holding the bracket to the axle housing.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:20 AM

Leave the bracket on the engine, seperate bracket and bearing with a gearwrench. VERY easy to do this way. Seperate knuckle from strut, turn streering wheel to left lock. pull axle. CAKE

How does on remove the bearing from the axle? I just re-greased and replace my boot and reused the axle.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
why dont you go to a pepgirls or autozone? theyre like 100 bucks or so? I got my axles from autozone. No problems.

Also my axles came with support bearings.
I just been having so many issue with parts from AZ here in Maryland and Pepgirls are no better with certain remans. I don't have to time or money for redoing a install. Even if it's a lifetime warranty

Originally Posted by asand1
Leave the bracket on the engine, seperate bracket and bearing with a gearwrench. VERY easy to do this way. Seperate knuckle from strut, turn streering wheel to left lock. pull axle. CAKE

How does on remove the bearing from the axle? I just re-greased and replace my boot and reused the axle.
That was my thought at one time but now I have bearings missing on the outer CV boot.... It just happen yesterday while driving. So I'll just replace the axle at this point.