4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

p0305 code, bad shake, and its not the coil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 PM

p0305 code, bad shake, and its not the coil.

got a bad shake in the engine a few days ago out of no where. a p0305 code came up, so naturally i assumed ignition coil, as the car shakes in idle while in drive, its an AUTO, and shakes in reverse. but doesnt shake at park or neutral.

problem now, its not the coil, or the spark plug, i changed those with cylinder number one, and after a few days, the code remains the same, and the car shakes the same.

so, is it pretty common for the injector to go out, it i think it is the injector, im going to swap it with one of the front ones, so if the misfire code changes, to say, cylinder 2, then i wont have to take off the upper manifold off again.

HOW MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE HAVE HAD TO CHANGE OUT AN INJECTOR TO FIX A MISFIRE???
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 AM
No more Maximas...

Did you clear the code after swapping the coils around? If not, I wouldn't be relying on the code. Have you tried doing a power balance test (i.e. unplugging a single coil/injector at a time to locate the miss)? Quicker and easier than waiting for a code to show up.

As the A32 gets older and older, injector failures will become more common. More than a few times I've had a bad injector show the same symptoms as a failing coil.

Before you go swapping injectors around, it would be easiest to ohm it out first. Note that if it fails the electrical test, it's bad; but if it passes the electrical test, it doesn't mean that it's good.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM

hi a bad injector will not cause a misfire code.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 99greddymax

False. Faulty injector will def cause misfire and trip CEL. Check FSM EC-236. Get your knowledge on.

Curious tho, who told u differently?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 AM

most likely it is injector #5. I had 2 crap out on me at 40k miles (well, the previous owner did anyway) and he got the same misfire codes you have (I know this because I have his original dealer repair invoices). if it was a coil you would also have the coil code p1320 (which my previous owner got a 3 different occasions before 50k miles. no wonder he sold the car).

but before you rip off the UIM to swap it out might as well run some diagnostics on it. also listen for the tick-tick-tick that it should make as it opens and closes. you should be able to get a screwdriver or stethoscope on it to listen for proper operation.

others may chime in on this, but I don't think it's wise to go swapping injectors around between cylinders. I think it can screw them up and you'll wind up replacing every one you touch.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi
I have similar problems with my '00 Max (134k.).Codes are P0320 and P0302.There is no spark on 2.cyl.I have chance coil positions and also checked wiring harness. I had checked pulses with oscilloskope and there's no pulse on 2.cyl primary circuit green/red wire. Fuel injectors are also checked. CO is approx. 1,5%, HC 110ppm on idle. I'm pretty sure that the problem is bad ECU.

Last edited by rottis[FIN]; 08-17-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit

False. Faulty injector will def cause misfire and trip CEL. Check FSM EC-236. Get your knowledge on.

Curious tho, who told u differently?

really.. i have a bad injector, thats causing a misfire however no ses light.. care to explain..

an ase master tech told me that while working at shop. Ignition related problems cause misfire ses lights, not fuel related.

i cant find ec 236 scrn shot?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM

i just reset the light, so ill check it again in a day to see what comes u, the thing is this is the injector to cylinder number five, right next to the throttle body in the back. i can touch it, but test it with an ohmmeter i think is out of the question. i can take the UIM off no problem, ive done it before.

so you guys really think if i swap out the injectors between cylinders that i can mess them up.
also, if the injector does pass the ohm test, how else would i test it to see if it still works, unless i just out a new one in there, which is about $60
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM

here's the quick way to check your injector.... see the happy engine?? gotta love those nissan diagrams...

to the dude who thinks injectors don't cause misfire ses: your ase master tech doesn't know what he's talking about. either your misfire is not bad enough to set the ses, or you don't have a misfire, or maybe your ecm is fubar. how do you even know you have a bad injector that's causing it. why havn't you fixed it.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 PM

I had this problem back when I first began working on my 99 max... I changed the coils and plugs and had the same problem... So I changed all injectors and it work for a week and came back.... Check and clean the MAF no change, tested all injectors again and found them to be working properly and the old one were also. Want I found was that I had deposit in the fuel tank itself and would clog my injectors... Tried injector cleaners and all other nothing worked. Got an email from a friend who told me to wait until I was low on fuel and go to Exxon and fill up with there premium burn that entire tank before adding any other fuel grade if using any other than premium.

Problem solved after reaching a little under a 1/4 tank... I fill up again with Exxon premium again and burn that until I reach "E" and began using Shell again, but continued to use premium. She never ran so smooth or quick response since I first brought her. My Opinion try this before doing anything and spending extra. It could only be contaminants in the fuel tank causing clogged injectors and throwing code. I didn't believe this at first that this would even solve my problem because who would think fuel could be contaminated until I had to replace a tank from my other car a few years ago and couldn't believe what I saw at the bottom of the tank. Hope it helps
Old 08-17-2010, 12:52 PM

i'm sorry

are you BS'ing us?

ima keep this one to myself
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM

hmm well this did happen a day after I filled up. I will run a cleaner through and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster
are you BS'ing us?

care to list what the misfire obd2 codes for a misfire caused by faulty injector?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
No more Maximas...

care to list what the misfire obd2 codes for a misfire caused by faulty injector?
The same exact code that will be set by a misfire caused by a faulty coil, or a restricted fuel rail, or the damn spark plug missing.

Cliffs: you're wrong.

But what about the '95s? Surely they must be OBD-I, right? So it's a trick question?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by kevinoseguera99
hmm well this did happen a day after I filled up. I will run a cleaner through and see what happens.
those cleaner can sometimes fix a problem and in some case just mask a problem. You say this happen a day after a fill up then perhaps the fuel was contaminated which can be a real pain diagnosing. First thing make sure you burn all of that fuel and start fresh with new fuel and what cleaner you decide. I would go with Exxon and what ever cleaner you decide and give it till you reach a 1/4 tank before you add anymore fuel and repeat. Also try not to go with that last fuel station that may have contaminated you tank if this is the situation. Not saying it is but let's assume. If it is the case then don't use that station again.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

A faulty injector can throw a misfire code especially in this situation posted, also most codes don't always be direct of any one thing. You will have to also run test on related items to narrow the problem. Another pointer for you... If that mechanic you spoke of is not a member of the org then you are best being a member of his group of know nothing about a max club or by the manual club. most of the problem we have with our max mechanic couldn't figure out by the dealer nor the ase mechanic at the local shop. Because they don't listen to the customer. The time that I've been here these guys have listened and has solved my problems 100% of the time in less time and money.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM

you guys are alot of help, didnt think i would get this many responses already. well i did add a fuel additave today once i left work, some b12 chemtool. i reset the codes yesterday and i did get the p0305 code once again, so ill be checking tomorrow the injector and crossing my fingers that i wont have to remove the UIM, its such a pain!!!
Much love to the .ORG
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kevinoseguera99
you guys are alot of help, didnt think i would get this many responses already. well i did add a fuel additave today once i left work, some b12 chemtool. i reset the codes yesterday and i did get the p0305 code once again, so ill be checking tomorrow the injector and crossing my fingers that i wont have to remove the UIM, its such a pain!!!
Much love to the .ORG
You have to give it time to work of course it's not going to be instant results...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster
are you BS'ing us?

Originally Posted by pmohr
The same exact code that will be set by a misfire caused by a faulty coil, or a restricted fuel rail, or the damn spark plug missing.

BAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! PMOHR RESCUED ME!!! HAHAHAHA