4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM

seafoam

I have finally decided on "seafoaming" my max, i was wondering which is the best way to get good results from seafoam (like how to use it) from people who have seafoamed their fourth gens and gotten positive results
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I usally put a can in gas tank when I fill up or I do thourgh the hose that comes off the brake booster that goes to the intake. I just start the car and have someone rev the car up lightly and stick the hose in the can and suck about half of it in there and the let the car die out, then let it sit for about 15 mins and blow that crap out and I repeat and suck the rest of the can down in there.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 PM

i thought most suck half through the booster and the rest in the gas tank
Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by sbs97max
I usally put a can in gas tank when I fill up or I do thourgh the hose that comes off the brake booster that goes to the intake. I just start the car and have someone rev the car up lightly and stick the hose in the can and suck about half of it in there and the let the car die out, then let it sit for about 15 mins and blow that crap out and I repeat and suck the rest of the can down in there.
so i buy 2 cans of seafoam and put 1 whole can in the gas tank and then the other can is (in portions) sucked through the brake booster?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 PM

WARNING!

I seafoamed my car through the brake booster, and I was like, ok this is easy!
I went to turn the car off, and let it sit for the 10-15minutes to let it soak, but the car did not shut off. I turned the key off and it just did this epic about to explode sound. So, my advice is to have two people, and once the seafoam is in, kill the engine fast, because otherwise itll be like what mine did and not shut off, and gave almost no results.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by cartman854
WARNING!

I went to turn the car off, and let it sit for the 10-15minutes to let it soak, but the car did not shut off. I turned the key off and it just did this epic about to explode sound. So, my advice is to have two people, and once the seafoam is in, kill the engine fast, because otherwise itll be like what mine did and not shut off, and gave almost no results.
thats funny because...your not supposed to let it sit...and your only supposed to put a 1/3 of a can through the brake booster...

engine must be work...one person keeps the car about 2000rpms while the other lets it soak through the brake booster... then you have to rev is up for about 5 mins at 2-3krpms...then drive for about 15mins til the smoke is gone from the tail pipe...youttube if unsure...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
thats funny because...your not supposed to let it sit...and your only supposed to put a 1/3 of a can through the brake booster...

engine must be work...one person keeps the car about 2000rpms while the other lets it soak through the brake booster... then you have to rev is up for about 5 mins at 2-3krpms...then drive for about 15mins til the smoke is gone from the tail pipe...youttube if unsure...
I only ran about 1/3 thru, and iv read like 30 threads, and watched youtube, and everyone turned the car off. I think because mine didnt turn off, and very little smoke came out, i messed up and it did nothing.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Got Retrofit?

I've seafoamed my car several times with no problems. Usually do it right before I change my oil.

OP, put 1/3 of the Deep Creep (spray version of Seafoam) into the brake booster nipple at the top of the intake manifold (don't put it through the hose that attaches to the nipple). Let the motor stall naturally, put the hose back on the nipple and let the Deep Creep sit for 10-15mins. While you're letting the car sit, add another 1/3 into the gas tank. You can add the last 1/3 into the oil, but I wouldn't reccomend it since I've never done it personally and have no idea of the outcome. After the 15mins has passed, start up the car and either start reving through the entire RPM range or take the car out for a nice spin around. Either way, do that until there's no more white smoke coming out of your muffler. Change your oil immediately and there ya go.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I've seafoamed my car several times with no problems. Usually do it right before I change my oil.

OP, put 1/3 of the Deep Creep (spray version of Seafoam) into the brake booster nipple at the top of the intake manifold (don't put it through the hose that attaches to the nipple). Let the motor stall naturally, put the hose back on the nipple and let the Deep Creep sit for 10-15mins. While you're letting the car sit, add another 1/3 into the gas tank. You can add the last 1/3 into the oil, but I wouldn't reccomend it since I've never done it personally and have no idea of the outcome. After the 15mins has passed, start up the car and either start reving through the entire RPM range or take the car out for a nice spin around. Either way, do that until there's no more white smoke coming out of your muffler. Change your oil immediately and there ya go.
Lol, mine didnt stall naturally, the SeaFoam made it rev up, and the Vacuum Leak didnt kill it either. Good Luck tho.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
...put 1/3 of the Deep Creep (spray version of Seafoam) into the brake booster nipple at the top of the intake manifold (don't put it through the hose that attaches to the nipple)....
I don't believe you should use the Deep Creep for this use. It is a penetrating oil somewhat comparable to PB Blaster. Seafoam's website does say it can be used for engine fogging prior to storage, but I would hesitate to use in the same way you would use their motor treatment.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM

You can always take the hose off the fuel regulator and suck it up through there, worked great for me. I got tons of smoke.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by nelledge
I don't believe you should use the Deep Creep for this use. It is a penetrating oil somewhat comparable to PB Blaster.
That's what I use and have had no problems. It's just easier to use than SeaFoam.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM

One full can in gas tank. 1/2 a can in the brake booster, you dont have to have someone there,(you can do it yourself) but hold the throttle open with the car running. Break the 1/2 of can into 2 halves, poor the first half in slowly, so that the car doesnt shut off, then I always count to 10 and then dump the rest in, to stall the motor! It might take a few tries to start it back up, thats normal dont fret! Other half in crank case 50-100 miles BEFORE OIL CHANGE!!!!!! Then I get some seafoam deep creep and clean my butterfly the intake and shoot some down the intake with the car running. Thats been my every 10,000 mile routine on every car i have ever owned.

Last edited by jonedwards; 10-12-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by jonedwards
Other half in crank case 50-100 miles BEFORE OIL CHANGE!!!!!! Then I get some seafoam deep creep and clean my butterfly the intake and shoot some down the intake with the car running.
I wouldn't even drive 50 miles with that stuff in the oil, but yeah I also clean the TB with Deep Creep. I've never shot it directly into the intake with the car running though.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Caution with putting seafoam in the oil on a high-mileage car. I'd used it successfully that way for a while - but on my last car, before the max, a 94 volvo 850, with their infamous I5 engine, that car had somewhere between 220k & 500k on it (the odo broke) - well, when I got it, it ran fine, and had no leaks, nothing... after running seafoam in the oil, for 1 week, it was leaking from both front and rear mains, and had lower compression.... that engine had build-up and sludge basically holding it together, and the seafoam cleaned it out... OOPS!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cartman854
WARNING!

That's a phenomenon known as dieseling. I Seafoamed my Saturn and got a similar result. This happens when you have a lot of hard carbon on your pistons. Seafoam is highly combustible, and when it bonds with carbon, it burns super hot and creates hot spots. These hot spots ignite the remaining Seafoam upon compression, even in the absence of fuel and spark. I actually had the key out of the ignition for about 10 seconds before the engine stopped turning, and only two of my pistons had any carbon on them (had just replaced the head gasket).

Conclusion: Try to kill the engine by sucking Seafoam into the intake. If you can't do that, don't turn it off, because you will get this damaging, violent detonation. Just use the whole can, and wait until it stops smoking to turn it off. You will want to try again with another can later. Dieseling is a sign that the car really needed the treatment.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by MaxWgn
Caution with putting seafoam in the oil on a high-mileage car. I'd used it successfully that way for a while - but on my last car, before the max, a 94 volvo 850, with their infamous I5 engine, that car had somewhere between 220k & 500k on it (the odo broke) - well, when I got it, it ran fine, and had no leaks, nothing... after running seafoam in the oil, for 1 week, it was leaking from both front and rear mains, and had lower compression.... that engine had build-up and sludge basically holding it together, and the seafoam cleaned it out... OOPS!
I think your conclusion is wrong here. You should never use Seafoam in your crankcase. The stuff will destroy seals, especially if they're in questionable condition in the first place. Motor oil has detergents in it, and regular oil changes do a decent job at removing sludge and deposits. Seafoam is made to bond to carbon and burn, not to sit and run continuously in any part of the engine. I know it says on the can that you can use it as an oil additive, but knowing some of the physical and chemical qualities of the stuff, I think it's safe to say that's a bad idea in any engine.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Gram Lights addict

for best results put a full can in an empty tank then fill it up. and then do half of a 2nd can into the brake booster and when your gas tank has about 50 miles worth of fuel in there, put the other half in the oil and do an oil change in 50 miles.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM

I am not sure if this is true but I heard that letting the car die from sucking up Seafoam is essentially flooding the car, and it is very bad for it.

And if you somehow suck up so much that it cannot be cleared then essentially you have just destroyed your engine.

Not sure if this is exactly true but I think it makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Gram Lights addict

seaform literally BURNS, infact, I believe that most of the smoke show is the seafoam itself, when does carbon ever burn white? either way, im not here to argue if it works or not, just dont dip the hose into the solution, pour it into a cup and hold the hose 1" away so that the vacuum can suck it out
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
seaform literally BURNS, infact, I believe that most of the smoke show is the seafoam itself, when does carbon ever burn white? either way, im not here to argue if it works or not, just dont dip the hose into the solution, pour it into a cup and hold the hose 1" away so that the vacuum can suck it out
Thats what I did.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM

i did this to my car and hardly had any white smoke. followed the directions exactly. come to think of it when i cleaned my throttle body and iacv there was hardly any carbon build up at all and thats with 146k