4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OBX Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM

OBX Quality?

I'm looking for a good header + Y-pipe combo (preferably equal length), and I can't really find a whole lot out there.
I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...Q5fAccessories
I have a 97, and I really like ^^^That setup, and it's not that expensive. Anybody use OBX? Or does anyone have advice for what to get?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM

well i had obx parts before not this particular set up that your looking at,but the quality is pretty decent for the money,i would recommend them.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by vitec115
well i had obx parts before not this particular set up that your looking at,but the quality is pretty decent for the money,i would recommend them.
Duly noted. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

obx headers are great they make good power at lest i think so... and thier music to my ears
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
obx headers are great they make good power at lest i think so... and thier music to my ears
What's your complete exhaust setup?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Regarding OBX headers, i know you'll need to grind do the cross member and i think, part of the motor mount flange. Also, the o2 bungs are in the wrong place, you have plug two of them and move one about 90 degrees. They do make decent power though and there have been a couple members that have had them crack on them. As long as you dont mind some modification to make them fit, theyre fine.

BTW, this is all on the 5th gens.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

i like obx
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM

You guys will hear from me about the OBX sometime this month...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 AM

I would suggest you buy yourself an extra flex section while you're at it.....You'll need it later....You definitely get what you pay for.....yall might wanna read up on some of the common failures that occur with these cheap headers....If you fix some of the fitment issues upon installation like lengthening the ypipe section to reduce that 2-3" short coming when trying to mate it's flange to the cat flange! You'll reduce alot of the stress load on this header assy itself.....Or just save up alitte more coin and get some real headers......CATTMAN!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 AM

Hahaha I would love to, but there's that issue with money...
They are going to be welded on, and I just put a new flex pipe on it, so that shouldn't be a problem...As well as the length...That won't be a problem. But thanks for your advice CMax03
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I would suggest you buy yourself an extra flex section while you're at it.....You'll need it later....You definitely get what you pay for.....yall might wanna read up on some of the common failures that occur with these cheap headers....If you fix some of the fitment issues upon installation like lengthening the ypipe section to reduce that 2-3" short coming when trying to mate it's flange to the cat flange! You'll reduce alot of the stress load on this header assy itself.....Or just save up alitte more coin and get some real headers......CATTMAN!
While you make some good points, one can easily be mislead by this post. Sure the flex section is a weak point of these headers, but there are people out there that have had their flex collapse on their cattman headers. When you say get "some real headers" that is simply comedy. The fact is obx makes the same amount of power that both cattman and hotshot make on our cars. As for the fitment issues.... my V2 headers required a slight shaving of the crossmember and the removal of the rear motor mount sheild. Both of which took me roughly 20 minutes, and did not pose any further issues. It seems as though Obx has improved because other than the afore mentioned modifications, my headers literally fit like a glove. There was no "2-3" gap between y-pipe and the cat, it was flush. You're right, I got what I paid for, and am 100% satisfied with my decision.... OBX!!

This argument will never end.

Originally Posted by ctsnyper
Hahaha I would love to, but there's that issue with money...
They are going to be welded on, and I just put a new flex pipe on it, so that shouldn't be a problem...As well as the length...That won't be a problem. But thanks for your advice CMax03
Welded on? Why not just bolted onto the cat?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Those headers are fine if your on a budget. Obviously, quality is not on par as cattman by a long shot despite what anyone says. (materials, quality control, customer service, etc) But given the fact that they used long runners and decent collectors means that they will make power over stock and will have similar gains to better brands such as cattman.

Comparing them to my hotshot headers, the runners on my hotshots are alot longer before the merges which helps the scavanging effect of the exaust pulses, the "loop" in the Y-pipe is more gradual, wider, and smoother. And the pipe from the flex section back is bigger in inner diameter on my hotshots vs. OBX. Also, material is thicker and looks more durable on my hotshots.

But this isnt a comparison thread. We already have those. Quality is sub-par when comparing it to the "best" though. But the price (depends on who you ask) justifies this.

Just stay away from these OBX headers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...item255da814b4

When bolted to the head, they dont line up properly. We tried it on a VQ35 swapped car not too long ago.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM

wouldnt that 180* turn affect performance?...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by LongIslandMax
Welded on? Why not just bolted onto the cat?
My exhaust from the flex back is all custom welded Stainless Steel...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM

obx ftw
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trapstars
obx ftw
Thank you for your major contribution to the thread...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I didn't have enough time to list all the problems that exist with the OBX, I picked the Flex section cause the entire header assy is installed with alot of stress on it which will show up with cracked primary and secondary piping, welds, damaged flex sections etc......Saving money using the OBX is an illusion.....those that purchase the OBX brand will spend alot of time and extra money fixing those cheap wounds and shortcomings......Too each their own, it's a free country....I would address all the fitment issues upon installation so one can spend more time having fun...not wrenching/fixing.....!!!!!!

Last edited by CMax03; 11-03-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I didn't have enough time to list all the problems that exist with the OBX, I picked the Flex section cause the entire header assy is installed with alot of stress on it which will show up with cracked primary and secondary piping, welds, etc......Saving money using the OBX is an illusion.....those that purchase the OBX brand will spend alot of time and extra money fixing those cheap wounds and shortcomings......Too each their own, it's a free country....I would address all the fitment issues upon installation so one can spend more time having fun...not wrenching/fixing.....!!!!!!
This guy right here and his hate for OBX, calm down old man!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 AM

Yea...this is kind of an unnatural hate for something....haha
Do you have some bad past experiences with OBX? Because I'd love to hear it...
If not, your negativity is clouding up mah thread sir!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
wouldnt that 180* turn affect performance?...
As long as the transition is smooth and gradual, it wont. In theory, it actually helps performance because the reason for this turn is to make the length of the front and rear banks equal before they merge into one pipe. It's designed to help the scavanging effect of the exhaust/equalize the exhaust pulses.

Similar to why RWD guys use X-pipes and H-pipes to bring the exhaust together before seperating them again to finish there true dual exhausts.

I have installed OBX products on people's cars personally before and I can honestly say that I have never been happy with any of them so far.

Both sets of headers that I installed needed major modification to the chassis, upper oil pan, and/or to the headers themselves (cutting and rewelding) to get them to fit. The OBX lightweight crank pulley we installed caused the car to not run correctly at all. We went through a half tank of gas in 50 miles. Re-installed the stock one and it started up and drove perfectly. We took it to a machine shop with another stock one to figure out the problem and he said that it was cast wrong and it wasnt the first time he'd seen something like this from OBX.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 AM

Thank you for your insight! It is much appreciated...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
As long as the transition is smooth and gradual, it wont. In theory, it actually helps performance because the reason for this turn is to make the length of the front and rear banks equal before they merge into one pipe. It's designed to help the scavanging effect of the exhaust/equalize the exhaust pulses.

Similar to why RWD guys use X-pipes and H-pipes to bring the exhaust together before seperating them again to finish there true dual exhausts.

i've always understood the purpose of equal length headers, i just thought that the 180* bend affected the performance. but then like you said, if its smooth enough it will do its purpose...
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
This guy right here and his hate for OBX, calm down old man!!!
I don't hate them, cause they're not on my car! But i have installed several of their products and I've never been impressed with their lack of precision!

Yeah I've installed a few of their exhaust products and I've never seen anything fit perfect without some sort of modifying to fit......Their product look nice but never fit the way their suppose too...I've had better luck with Pacesetter honestly......all that I'm saying is if you choose the OBX route do all you fitment and adjustments b4 you permanently install them!