4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Requesting photos of brembo slotted rotors installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Requesting photos of brembo slotted rotors installed

Hi guys,

Could someone please post some pictures of their Brembo slotted rotors installed (fronts only)?

The direction of the veins from the brembro that I have seem to appear straight, however, on brembo's website it states that it the direction should be \ (front driver's side) but the seller told me it should be / for the driver's side front. I'm confused.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM

IIRC the curve on the rotor should be like this

Front driver side. The \ should hit the caliper like so. They should "cut" the caliper not "slice"
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 PM

It's different from manufacturer to manufacturer. The veins can go either direction really, FWIW.

They're only there to help move brake dust away from the rotor, not to cut into the pad.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
It's different from manufacturer to manufacturer. The veins can go either direction really, FWIW.

They're only there to help move brake dust away from the rotor, not to cut into the pad.
^^that. The best way to tell is to check the manf. website. Some rotors have different directions for the actual vents inside the rotor.

That slipped my my mind
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett

Its really owner's preference.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks guys but I need more info on this before installation. The Brembo website states \ for front driver's side, but the seller here stated that it is / and you guys are saying it doesn't matter and stuff. I'm still unsure. I know I'm being a pain but its just one of those things I just have to find out for sure.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
IIRC the curve on the rotor should be like this

Front driver side. The \ should hit the caliper like so. They should "cut" the caliper not "slice"
When I bought my brembo slotted rotors, it came with a paper that said to install them as seen as the picture above. I would upload a picture, but I don't have a camera.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ctsnyper
When I bought my brembo slotted rotors, it came with a paper that said to install them as seen as the picture above. I would upload a picture, but I don't have a camera.
Did you buy the rotors through a sponsor here on the Org or through brembo directly?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM

When I bought my Centric Sportstops XD/slotted, they said it can face either way. Same goes for some rotors I bought for my mkii Jetta (RIP) a few years back.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
^^that. The best way to tell is to check the manf. website. Some rotors have different directions for the actual vents inside the rotor.
Ding ding ding, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

The only thing determining a rotor's rotational direction are the cooling vanes down the center. If they are parallel to the surface it can spin either way. It they are curved like a rat cage fan, then the rotor is directional and should be marked L or R indicating it's position on the vehicle.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM

HAve ppl noticed a real improvement with the slotted vs unslotted rotors?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
HAve ppl noticed a real improvement with the slotted vs unslotted rotors?
Your braking distance will NOT decrease from having slots or holes. A drilled and slotted rotor will not out perform a stock face rotor.... Unless you're in the middle of an autocross or going down hill.

What I'm talking about is brake fade now that's a different animal completely and the point of D/S rotors.

Or just looking cool, which is what most D/S rotors are on maximas anyways, don't think too many people that own them on this site actually put them to use, just sayin'.

Mine went the other way, but they're not brembo's, don't think that helps the OP at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by aackshun
Your braking distance will NOT decrease from having slots or holes. A drilled and slotted rotor will not out perform a stock face rotor.... Unless you're in the middle of an autocross or going down hill.

What I'm talking about is brake fade now that's a different animal completely and the point of D/S rotors.

Or just looking cool, which is what most D/S rotors are on maximas anyways, don't think too many people that own them on this site actually put them to use, just sayin'.

Mine went the other way, but they're not brembo's, don't think that helps the OP at all.
+1

The slots or x-drilled holes are there to remove pockets of gas that get trapped between the pad and rotor during extreme braking. 99.99999% of street driven cars will not benefit from this though...as you need to constantly be on the brakes to make them heat up to that point. (auto-x)
Complete waste of money for a street driven car, unless you're doing it for looks. Slotted and x-drilled rotors are more prone to developing cracks however. This is why I only use solid rotors on my street cars. This includes my M5, STi, cobra mustang, and yes...even the maxima.