4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

always low on coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 PM

so, like, did you park it over some white snow and let it run? i mean, really, i would've taken for a spin, parked it and let it run for a few. then maybe turn it off and check a little while later??? or the next day????
Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 PM

it is most likely your water pump
get your car up on a lift and a mechanic should be able to tell you if you're leaking.

now comes cost vs benefit. fixing it will cost you a decent amount, couple hundred at the least.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by jxkim
it is most likely your water pump
get your car up on a lift and a mechanic should be able to tell you if you're leaking.

now comes cost vs benefit. fixing it will cost you a decent amount, couple hundred at the least.
i want your mechanic, cause im getting a price of like 500.00-550.00 for the pump.of course i would'nt pay that as my mechanic is letting me bring my own plus the timing chain and tensioners and guides. i figure he's tearin apart that side anyway, might as well do that $hit too.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 PM

you're looking at 3-5 hours of work
Old 01-29-2011, 02:14 AM

Yeah, not looking to pay that much on a 15 year old car. Way too much. More problems will just arise soon after probably. I've been looking at G35's lately. I might just trade this sucker in.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mistertones
Yeah, not looking to pay that much on a 15 year old car. Way too much. More problems will just arise soon after probably. I've been looking at G35's lately. I might just trade this sucker in.
you sir, are a quitter. i have 216,000 and im keeping maxy until the engine blows up
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Why would you trade it in? They'll give you about $500, tops. Sure, they might put it down as $5 grand on the paperwork, but it's all just slight of hand. Instead of knocking $4500 off the sticker price, they add it to your 'trade-in amount'. Games, just games.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Why would you trade it in? They'll give you about $500, tops. Sure, they might put it down as $5 grand on the paperwork, but it's all just slight of hand. Instead of knocking $4500 off the sticker price, they add it to your 'trade-in amount'. Games, just games.
yeah, dealers are $hit!!! sell it to me man!!!! or part it out and make more.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM

the real question is... do you want to pay a mechanic or a dealership?
i think the mechanic would be cheaper but thats just me

and im my own mechanic
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM

I haven't called my shop yet but $500-550 must be dealership. I just called the parts store and the pump is $49. My shop charges $47.50/hour which is good but 5 hours would be a stretch I think. I read the procedure. It involves the timing chain but there are access panels. You're not pulling the whole front cover. It doesn't mean I really want to do it myself but I just lost a lot on labor on a fuel pump on my truck because of where it broke down. If you have ever considered working on the front of the engine this looks like the one thing I would consider doing besides a front main seal. I'm more worried about starting with "remove the belts". That never goes that easy.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
yeah, dealers are $hit!!! sell it to me man!!!! or part it out and make more.
Haha I don't have the time nor space to do a part out =P. But do you know any shops around are area that would do it for a reasonable price if I do decide to get it fixed? I had my car parked on dry pavement at work tonight. I looked under my car when I left work and there was a wet spot right under where the water pump is. So I'm just going to assume it's the water pump. Also is there anything below the water pump, like hot metal that would make that burning smell?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 AM

Haha I don't have the time nor space to do a part out =P. But do you know any shops around are area that would do it for a reasonable price if I do decide to get it fixed? I had my car parked on dry pavement at work tonight. I looked under my car when I left work and there was a wet spot right under where the water pump is. So I'm just going to assume it's the water pump. Also is there anything below the water pump, like hot metal that would make that burning smell?

my mech is cheap...$50/hr for labor. So he prolly charge me like 350 for the pump.

But i had a leak around the same area and i swore it was the pump, it turned out to be the upper radiator hose clamp on the engine.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
my mech is cheap...$50/hr for labor. So he prolly charge me like 350 for the pump.

But i had a leak around the same area and i swore it was the pump, it turned out to be the upper radiator hose clamp on the engine.
How did you find out is was the radiator hose?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM

he is genius at diagnostics. He dont jus throw parts at a car until he SURE thats what it is. Dude is brazilian and dont speak no good englise...but he speak car fluent!

He kept sayin it wasnt the pump even after i told him to jus replace the pump and i jus pay him. He figured out it was the hose itself. Dude wouldnt even pay to replace the hose, he just cut the end and reclamped lol. Problem solved.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
he is genius at diagnostics. He dont jus throw parts at a car until he SURE thats what it is. Dude is brazilian and dont speak no good englise...but he speak car fluent!

He kept sayin it wasnt the pump even after i told him to jus replace the pump and i jus pay him. He figured out it was the hose itself. Dude wouldnt even pay to replace the hose, he just cut the end and reclamped lol. Problem solved.
no "good" mechanic throws parts at a car

and to the op did you fill the radiator and the reservoir? and check your cap? start with the easy stuff first dont just condemn the pump cuz you assume thats what it is.
and if you do end up replacing the pump you should probably replace the tensioner and guides so you dont have to pay to have all that torn apart again. its just a hassle. take care of everything while your in there whether it needs it or not. trust me its worth it

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 01-31-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:26 PM

yeah dude, i do know a guy who's gonna do my timing chain water pump etc., as i stated in earlier post. pm me an i'll hook you up with his name and number. he did some work for me and and charged me 75.00 an hour which is cheap. great guy, honest as well, 35 years old and no issues at all. he's up in limerick, which is not far from valley forge park. you came to that meet last year, right?? i do remember you and your girl. give me a shout
Old 02-20-2011, 01:01 PM

im also having a coolant leak i got under my car and saw that around the power steering pulley is all wet would this be a water pump issue or hose issue? every morning i get a puddle of coolant on the floor about the size of the saw oem rims maybe a little smaller
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM

So I just dropped off my car at the shop, it was the water pump. He quoted me $400 for parts and labor..
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM

400 aint too bad.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM

After doing it myself, I would have rather paid the $400. By the time I was done buying the pump, a belt, supplies and a tool or two, I was in for about $170.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Yeah, I had to get it fixed asap. I'm going to NYC later this week!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I had to get it fixed asap. I'm going to NYC later this week!
where did you take it??? you take it to the guy i told you about??? hmmmmm?????
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
where did you take it??? you take it to the guy i told you about??? hmmmmm?????
Hey I didn't get to take it to that guy. The way my car was pissing out coolant, I wouldn't have made it far. I just got my car back, he only charged me 360 in the end =). Here's a pic of the water pump (factory Nissan)

Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM

i'm about to yack after reading this thread because i'm pretty sure i have a coolant leak and for a while now lol
Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Hey I didn't get to take it to that guy. The way my car was pissing out coolant, I wouldn't have made it far. I just got my car back, he only charged me 360 in the end =). Here's a pic of the water pump (factory Nissan)

give me his name and number in a pm, id be interested to know how its running after a couple of weeks. lmk, thanks>>>
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MAXiPAD72O
i'm about to yack after reading this thread because i'm pretty sure i have a coolant leak and for a while now lol
Yeah, enjoy the ride. I started Saturday morning and was cleaning up the tools Monday afternoon. Knowing what I know now, I could probably punch out the next one in a day.