4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Chrome In Fogs Peeling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM

Chrome In Fogs Peeling?

I bought a set of OE fogs from a member on here a while ago and upon receiving it I inspected the fogs very carefully and saw that both sides were in perfect shape except for the cracked lenses.

So I go install them on my car and threw on some 55W, boring white $3 H3 bulbs. A week later, I wiped the dirt of the fogs and saw what looks like chrome shards or pieces all over the inside of the fogs, on both sides.

Its only been one week and I destroyed the insides of my fog lights already?

People said the OEM fogs sucked for our cars but I didn't know they sucked that bad. Is it normal for the chrome parts to peel off, as the fogs get older? I didn't use a over-watt bulb or do anything that could cause enough heat to make the insides peel like that. I checked the bulb bases and they all said 55W and my harness is in perfect shape.

I think I'm just gonna get some compressed air and blow out the pieces somehow.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 AM

that doesn't seem like something that would normally happen with OEM, mainly occurs with aftermarket. It seems strange, since I have been running pnp hid in my fogs for a bit more than a year now(ran 55 watt halogen for a year before that), and nothing like what you have mentioned has happened to me. i have seen it only happen to my 2nd gen maxima lights, but that was because they had some condensation issues(damaging them), and 20+ years of age(god knows how crappy the chrome plating process may have been back then). Even then, there was no real peeling, just a dulling of the chrome inside the housings. my fogs are original (10 years old at least) 00 fogs. maybe the cracked lenses allowed some weathering to occur on the chrome plating inside the housings? or maybe they were from an OEM "approved" aftermarket manufacturer like depo, tyc, etc?

Last edited by Mr. Blue Sky; 01-23-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 AM

Yeah I think you have a great point, maybe the crack had something to do with this. Time to go find something to seal her up!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Yeah I think you have a great point, maybe the crack had something to do with this. Time to go find something to seal her up!
Why did you put fogs with cracked lenses on anyway? I would've passed on those fogs and waited for some better condition ones. IMO...

Good luck with this.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:34 AM

yo **** haz deE sArZ
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Why did you put fogs with cracked lenses on anyway? I would've passed on those fogs and waited for some better condition ones. IMO...

Good luck with this.
I thought that only one lens was cracked and thought, oh well, I would replace just one later on. But when I got them both sides were cracked. But its still water resistant, I took a flashlight and tried to peek inside and didn't see any condensation or signs of water like rust or stains.

But it was at a pretty good price, I've been searching for a while and this one included the bracket plus fogs for a decent price. But I was overzealous and probably should have waited for some better ones.

Live and learn

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 01-23-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM

So I took compressed air (the weaker canned ones) and tried my best to be as gentle as I could and one small blast broke the whole bottom into a thousand pieces of chrome.

And it was hard to see but there really was water inside the fogs, I could see condensation and stains on the bottom of the fogs now that its been a few days of rain where I am. The passenger side had it the worse, while the driver's side was peeling but mostly still in tact and didn't break into tiny pieces of chrome when I tried to clean it out.

And the guy I bought them from said the cracks didn't affect the integrity of them at all, and that it was still water-tight.

I guess it was my fault for being oblivious to the obvious and too trusting. At least I got a nice set of brackets that didn't shatter from the ordeal. Now I just need to save up again for some new fogs..................
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Got Retrofit?

It happens man. The OEM '95-'96 fogs I'm selling had peeling chrome but I didn't give two ****s because all that was removed for the projectors anyway.

It sucks that you wasted money on that crappy set of fogs. I'm looking for a set of '97-'99s myself for my customer to retro and can't find any! Good luck to us both lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 AM

Yeah haha, you can have mine for free if I ever find another set for cheap LOL.

But yeah, good luck to US! But I'm still feeling a bit down about this whole thing.

I need a hug......................................
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
It happens man. The OEM '95-'96 fogs I'm selling had peeling chrome but I didn't give two ****s because all that was removed for the projectors anyway.

It sucks that you wasted money on that crappy set of fogs. I'm looking for a set of '97-'99s myself for my customer to retro and can't find any! Good luck to us both lol.
I've had 3 different sets of 95-96 fogs and I think only one set didn't have any peeling inside when I got rid of them. Now I just have holes in my 95 bumper
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by pavelsmax
I've had 3 different sets of 95-96 fogs and I think only one set didn't have any peeling inside when I got rid of them. Now I just have holes in my 95 bumper
The chrome on my current set is flawless luckily.

Since you have those holes, it's perfect for a CAI
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
The chrome on my current set is flawless luckily.

Since you have those holes, it's perfect for a CAI
I just refer to them as my speed holes now, we used to ride a jetski around with a cracked hull and we called it the same thing.

You could offer me up those pretty 95 retros for half price if you'd like tho
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by pavelsmax
You could offer me up those pretty 95 retros for half price if you'd like tho
No wayyyyy If you find another set of fogs though it would be my pleasure to do a retro for you