4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Regarding Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Regarding Coil Packs

I searched and couldn't really find anything regarding my question:

When you unplug a coil pack while the engine is running, how much of a change should you notice?

I ask because when i unplug mine, i notice a change in the way the car idles. the change is subtle and exactly the same for all 6 coil packs - the idle gets a little rough. again, the change in idle is very subtle.

This leads me to believe that all my coil packs are fine or are working exactly the same way. Does the SUBTLE change mean that my coils are on their way out? Should there be a more significant change in idle when one is unplugged?

All input welcome.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Swazey
I searched and couldn't really find anything regarding my question:

When you unplug a coil pack while the engine is running, how much of a change should you notice?

I ask because when i unplug mine, i notice a change in the way the car idles. the change is subtle and exactly the same for all 6 coil packs - the idle gets a little rough. again, the change in idle is very subtle.

This leads me to believe that all my coil packs are fine or are working exactly the same way. Does the SUBTLE change mean that my coils are on their way out? Should there be a more significant change in idle when one is unplugged?

All input welcome.
When I did this there was just the smallest of change at idle. Much more pronounced if you hit the gas a bit
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Idle speed shouldnt change much. the ECM will compensate with the IAC. look for roughness in idle.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

I just changed a broken coil runs a lot better now. It was shaking really bad in low RPMS and sounded incredibly choppy. I was also bouncing around in the car whenever I was sitting at a stoplight :P
Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 PM

thanks for the replies. I didnt hit the gas, just when it was warm i unpugged one at a time to see if there was any change in how the car idled.

so i guess its safe to say that if your maxima is idling and you unplug a coil pack, you will notice a very small change in the idle - like i did.

i wasnt sure if the change would be more significant or not
Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I noticed a change In all of mine and it was throwing the 0201 code for ignition. I changed all coils with used ones and reset the ecu and the code went away for two days. Now it is back. Also replaced the cam position sensor so I'm not sure what to do now. But I am thinking that just because it changes the idle when you unplug it doesn't mean it is still bad? I also tested all of the coils for resistance and they all were the same.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mtnbikeskiparty
I noticed a change In all of mine and it was throwing the 0201 code for ignition. I changed all coils with used ones and reset the ecu and the code went away for two days. Now it is back. Also replaced the cam position sensor so I'm not sure what to do now. But I am thinking that just because it changes the idle when you unplug it doesn't mean it is still bad? I also tested all of the coils for resistance and they all were the same.
Start looking at your fuel injectors