4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

If your car has a hard starting problem Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Swazey
got the car started today! GOT MY F'IN CAR STARTED TODAY!!!!! instead of just cranking and cranking it finally turned over. first time in almost 3 weeks. it still takes about 5-10 seconds to start but it starts! i didnt change the placement of the grounds yet, ill do that tomorrow.

what i did was completely grind down the engine ground. i had a friend try to start the car and nothing. i was jiggling the ckps pos sensor and it started! i have tested EVERY wire in the engine bay and know it was not because of a loose or broken wire.

this is what i think is going on: i have a frankencar ram air intake. my stock intake snorkel is gone so my map/baro (could be wrong, i looked at it quick) sensor hangs down close to the ckps pos sensor and the tranny gound wire i put in. i also have a 4ga wire for my amp that runs near those wires as well and a ground wire from starter bolt going to engine ground, all close in proximity.

when i moved the ckps pos sensor out of the way of the other wires, the car started. i think i am having some kind of magnetic/electronic interference that is throwing all the sensors off and causing the hard starts. i have also read that the coil packs, when they start to go, can cause radio interference and throw sensors off. anyone hear of this? i have 160k and still on stock coils.

tomorrow i am going to move everything away from one another, making sure my ground wires arent too close to the sensors and add a ground to the bottom bolt on the tranny.

when the car started, it ran incredibly rich. do i possibly have something else going on here?
Im confused on how u cd be gettin interference. All these wires SHOULD be shielded. U sure the harness good. Or maybe starter amperage causing a high spike for EMI near CKPS since u grounded it in close proximity. Move the grounds and see what happens.

GLad u got that bish started tho..hell yea man! lol
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The above stuff (bs?) is theory. You've probably heard that theory and reality don't always mix. With all the things you have found, I hope that puts an end to your problem.
hmmm...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Im confused on how u cd be gettin interference. All these wires SHOULD be shielded. U sure the harness good. Or maybe starter amperage causing a high spike for EMI near CKPS since u grounded it in close proximity. Move the grounds and see what happens.

GLad u got that bish started tho..hell yea man! lol
thanks cashoit, im confused as well but there was definitely a difference when i moved the the wires away from one another.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Not sure if this will help anyone but I had hard starts and poor idle. Opened the hood to check everything stated above still no help till I heard a slight air leak coming from the IACV. Turns out the Idle control screw had backed out full open. Closed it down and seemed to fix the issue. Five starts in a row with no lag . I'm letting it cool down now to try it cold. Hoping this sloved it. Will update later.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 PM

Wrong post.. Transferred..

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.