4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NAPA Coil PAcks vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM

NAPA Coil PAcks vs OEM

NAPA coils vs OEM? Strange coil story. Lots of issues in this story

Last year each month I started changing my 99 MAxima spark plugs one at a time and decided to change 3 of the coils, the back 3 nearest the driver.. I found when I went to a federated brand parts house they tried to sell me a used (returned) coil (paint was heavily scarred where the two hold down screws are). Same experience at an o'Reillys, and at a NAPA store. In addition the boxes these used/returned coils were in were dirty with grease, like grease from someones hands. Do they give the junk parts to DIY people???

I put in 2 of the coils one from auto zone ($70) made in china and a Japanese Hanshin ($90) that looked new from Oreillys. Car ran fine. O reillys restocked with coils from Poland, no more hanshins..

After Federated tried to sell me a "used" coil I called them on it and they ordered one they said was new. I put one in on cyl 5 and got a check engine lite and bad idle stumble on the first day, so I put the old Hanshin from 1999 back in on 5 and drove on. About a month later I got a bad skip and idle and decided to not mess with it myself and took it to my mechanic who has a private garage, they said bad coil pack on #5 - $280, diagnosis, labor, including $135 for a NAPA coil, skip was gone but check engine lite came on first day, went back , they scanned it, got primary system problem, cleared code and sent me off, lite came back on and stayed on. end of long story was the mechanic removed the napa coil and went to a Nissan dealer and got a coil. problem solved so far.
Seems these problems were caused by either
1. an imbalance of different coils when the napa was put in- car then had 1 autozone made in China, one Hanshin new, 3 hanshins old, and 1 napa new

2. bad NAPA coil (my vote cause it started when the coil was installed and quit when it was taken out)

3.Napa practice of giving out returned parts.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM

So whats the question? Didnt seem to figure it out

as for aftermarket coils I go with BWD brand (oreily's/advance)..no problems out of them so far
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Napa is still chinese made.. peroid, ive worked there i know. That was one of the biggest selling points of napa american made products, so i thought. Come to find out napa parts for the most, are made in china. ...so to ask the question if the napa is better then any other.. no.. its not. a used OEM nissan part trumps any after market or reman part out there...my 2 cents
Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
Napa is still chinese made.. peroid, ive worked there i know. That was one of the biggest selling points of napa american made products, so i thought. Come to find out napa parts for the most, are made in china. ...so to ask the question if the napa is better then any other.. no.. its not. a used OEM nissan part trumps any after market or reman part out there...my 2 cents

Ive had a napa coil pack. Little expensive but it lasted though 3 engines.....
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM

i didnt say they were bad,i just stated its not american made, versus the other china made products stated above. its all the same for most aftermarket parts, imo...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM

i didnt say they were bad,i just stated its not american made, versus the other china made products stated above. its all the same for most aftermarket parts, imo...
where do you think OEM is made......
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
where do you think OEM is made......
Exactly...im an ase parts pro, ive worked parts for years, all im saying is that oe is a better part, better quality, after market parts are made from OEM standards.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM

the oem might have more control over the part quality.

the aftermarket store buyers probably buy only on price
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Really?????? I don't think you know quite the full story Most of the dealer parts and NAPA parts are the same......You thanks Bush and Cheney for selling this country to China......By the way where was the Tea Party then???????
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Part of the problem is reselling used/returned/bad parts. In an OReilly when I pointed out the two marks in the coils paint where the holddown screws had been tightened the counter man made a big show of throwing the coil under the counter and saying "we should not be selling this one".

when I went back a week later looking for a Hanshin coil from them the same "bad" part had been reboxed and put on the shelf and was offerred to me again. MAybe they need a no return on electrical parts policy.

I have decided to buy OEM or perhaps order on line
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by edwardh1
Part of the problem is reselling used/returned/bad parts. In an OReilly when I pointed out the two marks in the coils paint where the holddown screws had been tightened the counter man made a big show of throwing the coil under the counter and saying "we should not be selling this one".

when I went back a week later looking for a Hanshin coil from them the same "bad" part had been reboxed and put on the shelf and was offerred to me again. MAybe they need a no return on electrical parts policy.

I have decided to buy OEM or perhaps order on line
if at oreilys ask for the BWD brand