4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

take a look at this picture and help me with my noob question (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:37 PM

take a look at this picture and help me with my noob question (exhaust)

Hey how's it going guys, I've been reading on this for a while, and i couldn't find as much information as i wanted, or at least not enough pictures haha.
I want to get a catback from ebay, and it says that i will probably need a sensor pipe and blah blah.

In my car, the second o2 sensor is attatched to the cat itself, and i see no "sensor pipe"
Here is a picture of how my exhaust looks like.
Will i need anything other than the catback itself for my install???

thanks in advance!!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM

97-99s have an intermediate pipe after the cat. its often referred to as the S pipe. its where the sensors on the 97-99s bolt into. if youre looking at a catback that says 95-99, thats probably what they are referring to. Meaning if u bolt the catback up on a max, there will be a gap in between the catback and your cat (i dont remember how long the s pipe is).
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Just get the catback thats all you need I'm 99% sure, someone confirm please.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM

You should be fine. If anything the catback will come with an o2 bung and you would just have to plug it up.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 PM

Do they offer another catback without the sensor pipe?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 PM

i feel kind of dumb asking this but slob doesn't make a whole lot of sense lol.
My max was builtin noember 95, and there is no s shaped pipe after the cat.
If I get a catback, since I don't have the pipe, will it be too short?

4 different exhausts
4 different prices

the one I'm gonna get since they are local and i can get it for ~$120
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...Q5fAccessories

on this one they say 95-96 will need the pipe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...Q5fAccessories

this one says 96-99 will need the pipe (don't really like it looks a little ricey)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories

only made for 95-96 best one imo but pricey (i want my exhaust more for looks than for performance)...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by dr_rabias; 03-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Yeah, you'll need a pipe to connect your cat to your exhaust system if you replace it. It's about 7" long (not straight though), and yours doesn't need an O2 bung. It looks the same as my '99 Cali spec, except yours has a sensor in the cat and 2 in the Y instead of 4 in the Y.

What I did for mine was fab up a 2-1/2" diameter pipe to go in there. Your best bet is going to be to get a local muffler shop to make it for you if you don't have a welder. You could also buy the s-pipe and put a plug in it, since I don't think you'll easily find the bungless part. After shipping and everything though, you're probably better off with the muffler shop. The cheapest I could find for the s-pipe alone was like $40 before shipping, and it looked like a poorly made piece.

I just converted mine back to stock. I'd sell you the midpipe I made, but I'm an amateur welder and I'm afraid I didn't do the best job on it. Maybe I'll take a crack at cleaning it up to sell soon though, since my welds are starting to look better.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM

If that's the case, I'm gonna get a y pipe for better performance, and just weld a muffler for the looks department
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dr_rabias
i feel kind of dumb asking this but slob doesn't make a whole lot of sense lol.
My max was builtin noember 95, and there is no s shaped pipe after the cat.
If I get a catback, since I don't have the pipe, will it be too short?

4 different exhausts
4 different prices

the one I'm gonna get since they are local and i can get it for ~$120
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...Q5fAccessories

on this one they say 95-96 will need the pipe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...Q5fAccessories

this one says 96-99 will need the pipe (don't really like it looks a little ricey)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories

only made for 95-96 best one imo but pricey (i want my exhaust more for looks than for performance)...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...Q5fAccessories
the first three you have listed there are pretty much the same exhaust. i just purchased the third one. and was installing it on my 95 maxima. i did need the s pipe.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM

If the sensor is attached to cat itself, then u WILL need additional pipe to mount catback. IIRC, the additional pipe has a welded end and a flange. U need a flange to boly up to catback. U can buy the extra pipe online from ebay.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 AM

For everyone else wondering about the Xtune CatBack if your O2 sensor is in the cat itself you can remedy the issue easily. I just did it last month to my 96 Max. I chucked the elbow of the catback closest to the cat end in a 6" machinists vice and heated it with an acetylene torch and carefully bent it up 3 inches and to wards the passenger side 3 inches. That alleviates the alignment issue. As these catbacks are 2.5 inch OD I simply cut the pipe dead center between the cat flange and the but of the resonator and slid a 12" piece of 2.5" ID stainless steel over the remaining 2 inches or so then TIG welded it in and it came out perfect. I didn't bother polishing it back out though you easily could to loose the torch marks but I don't spend to much time looking at my exhaust pipe. The Xtune catback with the Ebay headers and Y-pipe are quite load so you are either going to have to stuff the silencer in it when not racing or you will get tickets for sure. The setup is a real window rattler! Definitely sounds beast though when you run it open 4.5. It's good solid pipe with massive flanges, much better quality then I was expecting for an entire SS exhaust for under $300 or so Shipped. I found the Xtune catback on another site for $146 shipped to the door. It definitely lets the VQ breath better then the stock strangulation system. With the entire intake system ported up 5mm, matched and polished it will really make a difference. I'll shoot some pics if anyone needs to see what the required mod looks like, It's no big deal if you have a torch set and a Tig welder. Just make sure you get 2.5" ID. It's almost a tight enough fit to be a friction fit. I had to slap it pretty good with a block of wood and a 3 pound hand sledge to get it to seat up. Make sure you dry fit it before you send it home too because it would be beast to get it to turn if you have your flange angle wrong. It is tight enough where you could just tack weld it if you don't have a Tig. You can also weld the stainless with a torch if your good. Just use a number 1 tip and set a carboniferous flame and weld with the inner blue cone. It's definitely not going to leak no matter what. Every slap with the sledge only sent it an 8th of an inch for all 4 inches of overlap. Definitely tack it at least as with the expansion and vibration I wouldn't recommend free ballin it. Alternately you could go to the dealer and buy the cheesy non stainless, less then a foot, pipe for around a hundred bucks if you don't mind getting robbed and having your exhaust hanging low and **** eyed. When you bend it right a little at a time and keep dry fitting it you will end up with a perfectly centered pipe that doesn't bang around.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Do they offer another catback without the sensor pipe?
My 98 came with that short intermediate pipe where the O2 mounts but when I replaced the exhaust I got an extended b-pipe that didn't require the intermediate pipe. The BO286159 is a b-pipe made by bosal that has an O2 mounting hole on it.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Im surprised these brands dont make a single B pipe that replaces the s pipe. Cattman and Stillen do....