4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM

trans problem

Hey everyone jus wanted to see if anyone knows what's going on with my car. Its a 97 at with 180k miles on it. Thecar has always drove fine until today I went to go to work and when I put it in reverse it wouldn't go! So I tried puting it in drive and it goes but it seems like something is keeping it from driving smooth(kinda feels like when the parking brake is engaged). And when ever I put it in neutral and rev the engine it seems like it wants to go forward but not alot. Any input is very much appreciated! Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Also let me add that I did the self diagnostic test on the trans and all ten flashes were the same
Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM

dude, seriously you need to be more specific. auto, manual, is the fluid level good, color good, search man and then get back to us. http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=1772564
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
dude, seriously you need to be more specific. auto, manual, is the fluid level good, color good, search man and then get back to us. http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=1772564
Lol sorry man don't know how much more specific than 97 at(auto) I can be. The trans fluid is dark redish in color and is right where its supposed to be. As about searching I did and didn't see anything like this mostly everyones post was about hard shifts on auto or slipping which my car did neither of those
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM

does it feel like its slipping or just not moving. either one could be your trans has gone south. my trans went out at that mileage exactly and i had first gear slipping and would barely go into second. if its dark red make sure its not burnt smelling, you want the fluid to be a lighter red, dark is indicative of a burnt trans or a component going or gone bad. post up a pic of the trans color and/or a video of what it sounds like when u try to move. i'd know a bad trans trying to shift in a second.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Max ride here's a vid I posted on YOUTUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFD39...e_gdata_player
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by oc_wicked
in reverse it wouldn't go
in drive it feels like the parking brake is engaged
in neutral it seems like it wants to go forward
Check your shifter and linkeage, sounds like you are not fully engaging gears. Could also be TCM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

oc wicked, I hear you.
I also have a 97 GLE with an ailing transmission starting to slip, but its crazy how fast yours starting giving you problems. I have changed my fluid about every 20k, but I guess 172K is pretty good for any automatic. You got more out of yours before problems cropped up.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

hey freddy, if you want it rebuilt right, we have been the experts for 38 years!! feel free to email or call us
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Hey everyone jus wanted to see if anyone knows what's going on with my car. Its a 97 at with 180k miles on it. Thecar has always drove fine until today I went to go to work and when I put it in reverse it wouldn't go! So I tried puting it in drive and it goes but it seems like something is keeping it from driving smooth(kinda feels like when the parking brake is engaged). And when ever I put it in neutral and rev the engine it seems like it wants to go forward but not alot. Any input is very much appreciated! Thanks
Originally Posted by fredfretter
oc wicked, I hear you.
I also have a 97 GLE with an ailing transmission starting to slip, but its crazy how fast yours starting giving you problems. I have changed my fluid about every 20k, but I guess 172K is pretty good for any automatic. You got more out of yours before problems cropped up.
If I recall, there is a TSB on this issue with the 97's and it having something to do with the solenoids. Do some searching up on it as that may be your problem. Also, from your video, I see the CEL on. Have the codes scanned and post back results. That can also help you if the TCM passed the code along to the ECM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
If I recall, there is a TSB on this issue with the 97's and it having something to do with the solenoids. Do some searching up on it as that may be your problem. Also, from your video, I see the CEL on. Have the codes scanned and post back results. That can also help you if the TCM passed the code along to the ECM.
ill scan them tom and post them. Also today I had to move my car and went around the block and seems like it struggles on first but when second kicks in feels like nothing is wrong, all gears and overdrive kick in fine. So it seems like jus first and reverse are messed up. Thanks for everyones input
Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 PM

ill scan them tom and post them. Also today I had to move my car and went around the block and seems like it struggles on first but when second kicks in feels like nothing is wrong, all gears and overdrive kick in fine. So it seems like jus first and reverse are messed up. Thanks for everyones input
The same exact thing happened to me late last year, no first and no reverse, the clutch packs were fried and I had less miles than you did, IMO time for a trans rebuild for you. On my car the transmission cooler was clogged causing my transmission to burn up.

Last edited by boneebone; 03-31-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by fredfretter
oc wicked, I hear you.
Flushing a transmission isnt what you should do especially for an older car. Since transmission fluid is a detergent it a self cleaning solvent. When it starts to turn into a dark color, you need to get your transmission repaired or rebuilt. But if your fluid is dark, do not flush it, or else it wont move after you flush it. Since the metal shavings from the planetary gears are helping it to rotate the clutch packs.

But for the OP check your transmission. Could be the shift solenoids, could be the transmission mounts. So get it checked.

Last edited by K-Ryder; 03-31-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM

hmmmm, grommets, shift selinoid, fluids burnt. you my friend should take it to a good mechanic before you do a trans swap. if you let the fluid run low, or its dirty then you might have fried your trans. have it checked first, good luck.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 AM

wow thats bad.. I have the same problem on mines except when i put it in D or R it will engage but will not go. Fluids are good but it is low. Also one of the lines to the radiator is leaking bad (like soaked) I replaced the rubber line and still its leaking I think the seal of the metal tube coming out of it is going bad or rusted/corroded.

edit: anyone know if i add more tranny fluids it will go back to engaging into D?? because right now it can startup be put into D but the car will not move and the rpm just revs freely. or is the tranny gone?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 98semaxi
wow thats bad.. I have the same problem on mines except when i put it in D or R it will engage but will not go. Fluids are good but it is low. Also one of the lines to the radiator is leaking bad (like soaked) I replaced the rubber line and still its leaking I think the seal of the metal tube coming out of it is going bad or rusted/corroded.

edit: anyone know if i add more tranny fluids it will go back to engaging into D?? because right now it can startup be put into D but the car will not move and the rpm just revs freely. or is the tranny gone?
ummm, if you let the trans fluid go low, then try checking it after the car has warmed up and leave it on so its at the level on the stick where it should be. then, make sure you dont fill it past the h mark on the stick. if it still doesnt engage then your probably sol.