4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 SE just blew transmission- part out car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Im dead sure there is somebody local to you that can do this in the snap of a finger, its still summer time grab some beer and knock it out this weekend. Replacing the trans is not hard the only slightly difficult part is getting the bastard back on.
for some reason getting it off was harder than getting it on.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

from the first post, i can't tell if it's auto or manual. i skipped the rest of the replies, sorry.
Dr J
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Sounds like its an automajic :]
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Its an automatic

Tomorrow at 1:30 pm my friend will come over with more tools thaN i have to take off the hub nut.. ball joint nut.. strut bolts.. swing the nuckle out of the way and pull out the driver side shaft..

It has a portion showing that it should not so I am sure it was not mated with the trans as it should... I have a replacement one in hand now (free under warranty ... i know.. everyone says to use raxles.. but at almost 3x the price on an aging, rusting car, i didn't want to spend the money a year ago..)

Why it popped out is the question? If one of the joints somehow momentarily siezed up as I hit a bump or something.. perhaps it could have been the perfect storm ? Or.. the clip broke.. We'll know soon enough..

I hope the transmission is fine when we are all said and done..
Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by vtkahns
she (and apparently I) are untrainable.. History has shown she is (a) never wrong and (b) never changes her mind and (c) never listens to man logic.
Dude isn't that most women in general???

Anyways if you have the space a parts car comes in handy. And who knows if you get bored maybe you will tear that thing apart and learn a little bit more about it.

I still have my 97 sitting in my dads drive way, It did had some sentimental value as well

Either which way good luck in your quest.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

lucky you have helpers around! By tools, as in hand tools or the brain tools to figure things out?

keep us posted.

BTW, for all the work your bud has done, I'd be calling Mother Teressa down at 1047 Main and getting a bucket of suicidal shipped in to your place...and get a few longtrails.
Schedule during the weekday so the wife thinks your at work...they sound kinda rough in that neck of the woods. Wow, imagime what they must be like from the northeast kingdom!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Subscribed...
Old 08-03-2011, 03:43 AM

longtrails for sure.. and weekday for sure too..

Only problem is.. she does not work in the summer.. so it's on the radar..

Down to one car has surely but a cramp in her style.

Anyway.. one question.. last time I replaced these axels last spring,, we never drained any fluid and nothing leaked when doing them.

I see references to draining fluid... because it will leak..

Why didn't it last time ? I checked fluid..with dipstick.. and its there..

Curious..

Thanks everyone for the support..
Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

hey wanna sell the motor
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Whats up with this car ? Is the trans done or is the Axle shredded ?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 AM

Status

Originally Posted by defiance
Whats up with this car ? Is the trans done or is the Axle shredded ?
Don't know yet. For sure its out of where it should be.. didn't want to go in.. but we had trouble with the hub nut w/o air .. 18" breaker bar was no match for it.. it want on with air and i was there..

Today.. 11:00 will be the job to raise.. remove.. and hope a new one goes in..

If we pull it out and the clip is gone.. can i possibly ignore that or do I have to find it or its remnants via dropping the pan before I dare try this again ?

I don't want to make it worse ..
Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Car is fixed.. Shaft pulled out was all it was.

Can folks look at this photo array and see what you think ?

Was the shaft for a slightly different model (i am positive i ordered it right )

https://picasaweb.google.com/vtkahns...eat=directlink
Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM

lol. quality thread. where do these people live where there are women who listen to any type of logic??
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM

thanks for the kind words

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
lol. quality thread. where do these people live where there are women who listen to any type of logic??
There were no women listening to any logic here.. There was my car at a shop .. and me almost listening to a misdiagnosis.. and now the post mortem of the shafts that I was hoping to get some opinions of..

My darling wife had just used this as an excuse to hope we could get rid of my car and she'd never have to hear me complain ever again (not likely).
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So your "toolman" got it right but the pro blew it- nice.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Definite quality in this thread...

I'm all sad because I'm sifting through tranny threads (I toasted my auto running it with low fluid) and I find this little nugget of happiness (yay it's ok!)

But then I'm happy I'm A) not married and B) will never let a woman have my ***** like that.

I'd rather be in jail with lipstick on.

t
Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Joe
So your "toolman" got it right but the pro blew it- nice.
Way to milk it, bud.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by vtkahns
There were no women listening to any logic here..
that was my point dude. i was on your side. people were saying "sounds like you need a divorce," and such. i was saying its the nature of women to not care about logic.
whoosh.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nah. OP pulled a Captain Kirk " turn death into a fighting chance to live." He chased the resources, asked relevant questions and got his "piece" back. Seldom do you hear good news stories....it great to see one.

As for the 'ole lady, I'm sure there is another forum for that.

Last edited by Cheektowaga_Joe; 08-05-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 PM

It's good to be back

I appreciate all the advice, automotive, and marital, that this forum provides. Where else do such dissimilar topics mesh so nicely ?

Seriously.. my wife is reasonable most of the time.. but when it comes to getting stranded somewhere because of my 14 year old car.. she has no patience.. and no idea how much this 14 year old car pays us back every year it survives..

So now... if I get this 98 from my brothers.. I get to pick which I want and which my soon to be 16 year old daughter gets to total. Decisions, Decisions.

Its now onto a b-pipe warranty replacement from AZ crimp bent crap but possibly to a nicer mandrel bent one they ordered (but they got me the one including the section with the bung hole for the o2 sensor that I would prefer to leave alone for fear I'll wipe out the cat and need to replace that.. and then the 7 pipe in front.. It really should all be replaced...

Anyone have advice on what best y pipe and cat and B to get.. so it is no louder than the factory original ? I really like it quite..

I will hopefully, for now, just replace the B pipe and take back the crap to AZ and spend nothing but 2 gaskets.. but if something falls off while reaming on the bolts (only < 1 year on the car but thru one winter ) .. i may need a backup plan..

ever grateful..
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

did you price out factory parts? Those seem to last long time (10yrs?)...way longer than AZ/PEPboy/advance ...not cheap but you know it will fit, last and sound as you want
Old 08-06-2011, 04:02 AM

factor parts

did you price out factory parts? Those seem to last long time (10yrs?)...way longer than AZ/PEPboy/advance ...not cheap but you know it will fit, last and sound as you want
I did last year when first going to do them.. and they were 300 each or more if I recall.. vs $69.99 "new" AZ with lifetime warranty.. I , of course, did not take into account the "what happens if it catastrophically pulls out of your transmission" question... Hindsight. Most folks had just said the boots will rip and you will be getting another one in a couple of years.. Not knowing how long the car will be around, I went cheap.

So the one in there now is a a1 cardone reman that looks identical to my factory one.. unlike the one that was in it.

Still hoping someone can look at the images I posted a link to and see if it is obvious if this was mean for a different model or just cosmetically different ? The length of the first taper from the outer join was longer for sure in the one that pulled out but it can't be that that bottomed out before the clip clicked in or I assume this would have happened on day 1.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The comment was pointed at the exhaust questions. The 1/2 shafts are only a scar now.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 AM

ah

The comment was pointed at the exhaust questions. The 1/2 shafts are only a scar now.
oh.. well.. i think i did price out that stuff too via nissan and it was more than the car is worth.. I will inquire again just for kicks..

I know there are some SS options for the y pipe and b pipe that folks talk about.. catman, warpspeed.. I don't even think it was that much more $$ than this crud I buy at the mass market stores.. I was concered about the Y pipes that don't have the pre cats as I'm not into bending the rules and having to worry about whether the car sits before its inspected or not.. etc..

I would just replace this B pipe I have if I knew I wasn't going to snap off the cat.. There can't be much holding it on .. the bolts are barely visible as the rust has consumed them... 14 years has been a good run..
Old 08-06-2011, 06:21 AM

i hijacked my own thread.. i guess its time to search out some opinions on exhaust..