4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock sensor/ECU has me in a RAGE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by EmergesUnscathed
I've had the P0325 code for almost 2 years now, the resistor trick would not work. I had continuity from the Sub-Harness to the ECM, and replaced both the sub-harness and the KS. The code would not clear.

I just ran a piece of speaker wire from the ECM to just before the KS sub-harness, and was able to delete the code immediately. Apparently there was a short in that wire somewhere, so I was still getting continuity but likely getting a bad signal from the KS.

Thanks dude. Hopefully others with this problem also see your post. I've been chasing this forever.
I have your exact same issue and symptom. Seems like this is what I must do as well to get this resolved.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 PM

PO325 - Perpetual!

I've had the exact same problem with my '96 SE with KS replaced and the code still appears on the OBD scanner immediately. I haven't done anything else but tomorrow will be pulling the connector off the ECM and checking from pin 64 there to the other end at the knock sensor for continuity as well as resistance.

Nissan's National Technical Bulletin NTB98-008b dated September 16, 1999 addresses 1995-1999 Maxima EGI harness wire breakage diagnosis and repair procedures. The main wiring harness from the ECU/ECM goes thru the firewall and comes up near the right strut tower. Down low, just in front of the firewall some of the wires make a sharp bend at a "T" in the line and apparently Nissan has experienced quite a few breaks in one or more of the signal wires there.

The KS wire is a 'shielded' wire which means it has an interference grounding shield around the signal wire to preclude a signal from an adjacent wire being induced into the KS's signal wire. The shielding should be essentially grounded at each end. The signal wire can either part (break) from continuous vibration at the sharp turn in the harness or the insulation can break and allow the signal conductor to 'ground' out against the shielding, either case causing problems. If the signal wire is just 'broken', you will get no continuity, and/or resistance will be essentially infinite. Check out the Service Bulletin (sorry I can't tell you exactly where to find it right now, but should be easy to 'search' out) and it outlines diagnostic procedures.

Another very probably one here I guess would be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire from the back of speedo down to the ECU. The best way to check this circuit would be to check from pin # 14 on male connector M82 at back of speedometer to pin 29 at the ECU connector, this being for the PO500 code. A lot of other problems could also show up because of signal wire breakages in the same area, which causes them to be a ***** to locate and diagnose It seems that Emerges answer in his post shows he found the problem, and that apparently it is a break in the wire somewhere between the ECM and the component. I will be trying the same procedure as soon as I can, and good luck with yours also.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM

I recently did what I said I would and run a new single wire from the KS harness back to the ECU and the code has disappeared and never came back. Its been a month. Used a speaker wire.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BUMP!!!!

Can someone verify with pics if possible the following:

The color of the wire at the ECU harness inside the car
The position number at the EUC connector
The wire that needs to be spliced at the KS subharness.

I'm ready to do this re-connection to the ECU so I can get some power back and get rid of this stupid code. I have a new KS and harness installed and still getting this code as well.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Found the wire and rewired from the subharness to the ecu but still getting the code. Will need to check the grounds on the intake manifold. Grrrrrrrr.....

Last edited by deezo; 05-18-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by deezo
Found the wire and rewired from the subharness to the ecu but still getting the code. Will need to check the grounds on the intake manifold. Grrrrrrrr.....
I noted that nobody posted up any of the pictures you had requested in your post above this one. Did you ever have success in getting the PO325 code to cease and desist?? If so did you run a separate wire as others had mentioned or did you dig into the wire harness loom and fix it there???

Last edited by XPLRN; 08-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking for info and pictures from folks that ran the separate KS wire

I found this thread in my attempt to figure out why I can't clear my PO325 knock sensor code. Working on a 1999 Nissan Maxima and I have 3.34 volts at the junction point of the knock sensor sub-harness and the main engine harness. I've been under the impression that there is supposed to be 5 volts at that junction??

I had posted up a inquiry to the last guy that bumped this thread, 'deezo' , but decided to throw out the questions to the other folks that responded to this thread in hopes of getting some answers to my thoughts/questions.

1. Can anyone confirm, with some verifiable data, that there is supposed to be 5 volts at the knock sensor sub-harness junction to the engine harness??

2. To the OP of this thread, Boothers96, did you ever get your knock sensor code issue resolved?? If so what route did you take to get rid of the pesky P0325 code??

3. To '02BLK/BLK' , you were the first in this thread to mention having ran a separate wire to get around the knock sensor wire breakage/short problem in the harness. Where did you route through the firewall and how did you end up splicing into the ECM connector to tap into the #64 terminal?? Did you just cut away the plastic protector cover, find the #64 wire and splice into it or ?? Did you do anything to protect the separate wire run and did you route the wire along the engine wire harness loom or ??? I'm a bit leery to start digging into this ECM wire mess....does removing the connector require that the battery be disconnected or ?? Do I have to remove the ECM as Nissan sure didn't do any favors to mechanics/DIY'ers with the way they mounted that ECM !!!??????

3. To, 'SandyMax96', you were the next person to post under '02BLK/BLKZ, did you end up running a separate wire and how did you choose to run the wire thru the firewall and splice into the ECM?? Did that fix the pesky PO325 issue??

4. To, 'EmergesUnscathed' and 'Trini Boom', it appears that both of you ran a separate wire also and that solved the pesky PO325 code reappearance issue?? Did either of you document with pictures how you did your splicing and routing of the wire thru the firewall and up to the knock sensor on the engine??

5. A special thanks to 'CgarSmokr' for posting up the TSB info as that has helped me understand the potential sourcing of the issue(s) I'm having. Did you ever do the separate wire run and did it solve your problem??

5. Did anyone do the repair to the wire harness loom as detailed in the TSB/NTB98-008b?? What kind of a PIA was that vs. doing the separate wire run??