4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Poor acceleration, Overdrive light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Poor acceleration, Overdrive light

98 automatic When I turn key I get 16 flashes from the O/D light. The acceleration is almost not there, gas pedal all the way to the ground and it barley accelerates. I took the radiator out and replaced it a couple of days ago and the tranny fluid is a light red and its level is right where it needs to be on the dip stick. (The overdive button doesnt work hasnt since I got the car but ive never had this problem) Has anyone had a similar problem Thanks!

Last edited by Ejay98max; 08-30-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM

How does it run at cruise?
You need a torque converter homie. Sorry
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
How does it run at cruise?
You need a torque converter homie. Sorry
+1
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM

When it gets up to speed it runs and feels fine. The car was running good before I took it to the shop so they could find a short. It feels as if its stuck in a high gear. I even dropped it down to 1 and 2 but there is no change, on the highway is when I feel like it gains power.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ejay98max
When it gets up to speed it runs and feels fine. The car was running good before I took it to the shop so they could find a short. It feels as if its stuck in a high gear. I even dropped it down to 1 and 2 but there is no change, on the highway is when I feel like it gains power.
Read the codes for the TCM. Page AT-47 of the FSM
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM

yup torque converter
Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM

What rpm are you turning when this is happening? Too high a gear will bog the motor and hinder acceleration. A bad torque converter or slipping clutches will cause high rpm and slow acceleration.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
What rpm are you turning when this is happening? Too high a gear will bog the motor and hinder acceleration. A bad torque converter or slipping clutches will cause high rpm and slow acceleration.
What if the stator is freewheeling?
Slow poor acceleration normal rpms
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Over never heard of a stator freewheeling, but it would be just like a clutch slipping. High rpm and no acceleration. I think his trans is in high gear. Sticking solenoid??
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM

The rpms are not too high they match the speed the car is traveling at but it just takes forever to pick up speed and thats with the gas pedal to the metal. Does fail safety mode put out similar symptoms? I'm really pushing away from the torque converter because there were no signs of slippage issues before the ecm fuse number 17 got shorted out and I took it to the shop.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:59 AM

The rpms are not too high they match the speed the car is traveling at but it just takes forever to pick up speed and thats with the gas pedal to the metal. Does fail safety mode put out similar symptoms? I'm really pushing away from the torque converter because there were no signs of slippage issues before the ecm fuse number 17 got shorted out and I took it to the shop.
Your right let's not get ahead of ourselfs here step 1
Check the code
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 AM

Over never heard of a stator freewheeling, but it would be just like a clutch slipping. High rpm and no acceleration. I think his trans is in high gear. Sticking solenoid??
A torque converter is nothing like a clutch slipping there is no mechanical connection between the engine and trans it's a fluid coupling which is why it multiplys torque and also why it's called a torque converter it converts fluid to torque

There very confusing contraptions
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It feels as if its stuck in a high gear. I even dropped it down to 1 and 2 but there is no change, on the highway is when I feel like it gains power.
The transmission is in limp mode (3rd gear).

Run a diagnostics test on it to determine what has gone wrong.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 AM

A torque converter is nothing like a clutch slipping there is no mechanical connection between the engine and trans it's a fluid coupling which is why it multiplys torque and also why it's called a torque converter it converts fluid to torque

There very confusing contraptions
Thank you very much for stating the obvious. I have a very good understanding how they work. I was trying to illustrated the symptoms of a bad TC. When they are bad they slip. They don't get "tighter".
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM

Thank you very much for stating the obvious. I have a very good understanding how they work. I was trying to illustrated the symptoms of a bad TC. When they are bad they slip. They don't get "tighter".
apparently you dont know how it works at all if the stator freewheels the vehicle has poor acceleration if its locked up the vehicle has poor cruise it has no effect on the rpms whatsoever
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...converter4.htm

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 08-31-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM

apparently you dont know how it works at all if the stator freewheels the vehicle has poor acceleration if its locked up the vehicle has poor cruise it has no effect on the rpms whatsoever
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...converter4.htm
Lol I've been turning wrenches for 19 years. I went to college for it and did it for 4 years proffesionally. I don't need to follow your link to see how a TC works. I've seen TC's that were bad that resulted in higher stall speeds to the point of doing nothing. The only way a TC will cause his problem is if the lockup is sticking or its come apart inside and jammed up. Iether way it would kill the motor as soon as he put it in gear.

I,ve never heard of stator flywheeling. Ill look it up and maybe learn something.

As much as I dont like to quote WIKI I will post what I found.

"Stator clutch seizure: The inner and outer elements of the one-way stator clutch become permanently locked together, thus preventing the stator from rotating during the coupling phase. Most often, seizure is precipitated by severe loading and subsequent distortion of the clutch components. Eventually, galling of the mating parts occurs, which triggers seizure. A converter with a seized stator clutch will exhibit very poor efficiency during the coupling phase, and in a motor vehicle, fuel consumption will drastically increase. Converter overheating under such conditions will usually occur if continued operation is attempted."

The article only says "very poor efficiency" and "fuel consumption will drastically increase". It does not from slipping or bogging the engine, but i"m guessing bogging.

Its seems to me that if this were the issue, a lower stall speed would be seen. At any rate, There would be SOME affect to RPM seen apon acceleration in the case of a converter failure. More likely its in limp home mode and straying in 3rd gear, in which case you would see a slow raise in RPM withought any visual changes (shifting) on the tach.

Last edited by asand1; 08-31-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The transmission is in limp mode (3rd gear).

Run a diagnostics test on it to determine what has gone wrong.
+1
to this, a torque converter wouldn't throw a DTC. Limp mode would. Limp mode uses gears 1 and 3 if i'm not mistaken.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Also forgot to add, OP do a "torque converter stall test" to confirm that it isn't the torque converter.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Lol I've been turning wrenches for 19 years. I went to college for it and did it for 4 years proffesionally. I don't need to follow your link to see how a TC works. I've seen TC's that were bad that resulted in higher stall speeds to the point of doing nothing. The only way a TC will cause his problem is if the lockup is sticking or its come apart inside and jammed up. Iether way it would kill the motor as soon as he put it in gear.

I,ve never heard of stator flywheeling. Ill look it up and maybe learn something.

As much as I dont like to quote WIKI I will post what I found.

"Stator clutch seizure: The inner and outer elements of the one-way stator clutch become permanently locked together, thus preventing the stator from rotating during the coupling phase. Most often, seizure is precipitated by severe loading and subsequent distortion of the clutch components. Eventually, galling of the mating parts occurs, which triggers seizure. A converter with a seized stator clutch will exhibit very poor efficiency during the coupling phase, and in a motor vehicle, fuel consumption will drastically increase. Converter overheating under such conditions will usually occur if continued operation is attempted."

The article only says "very poor efficiency" and "fuel consumption will drastically increase". It does not from slipping or bogging the engine, but i"m guessing bogging.

Its seems to me that if this were the issue, a lower stall speed would be seen. At any rate, There would be SOME affect to RPM seen apon acceleration in the case of a converter failure. More likely its in limp home mode and straying in 3rd gear, in which case you would see a slow raise in RPM withought any visual changes (shifting) on the tach.
well good for you dude i learned something